The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roma refugees victims of systemic discrimination in Canada, new report finds

As a Hungarian, good.

These people are nothing but dead weight.

It's a good thing your opinion doesn't carry much weight, I'll just leave it at that.

My question is: How many refugees can we accept before we start hurting our own country.

Refuges aren't immigrants. As a prosperous nation, I think it is our duty to help people escaping persecution. Sadly, our government thinks it's preferable to spend half a billion dollars dropping bombs on ISIS and pretend it's a humanitarian mission instead.

I think that number disappeared in the rearview mirror a long time ago

Anything besides hyperbole to offer? No? Carry on then.

Frankly, I'd rather have a refugee whom I don't know anything about, than Canadians with opinions like this.

Our government structures are barely designed to look after it's own citizens. Let alone refugees who will have a hard time/don't want to, assimilate into our culture.

Our government structures have been suffering from a starve the beast strategy employed by the current government. We can easily do both, if we actually set out with the purpose of having such a society that takes care of those in need. Blame those mismanaging the nation's resources, not the refugees.

Most of the refugees in Canada are ones that can provide immeasurable services to our nation, rarely is it people with shallow levels of skill, unless their back story is horrifyingly tragic. I know a girl I went to school with who's parents were both born in Iraq. Fortunately her father was a doctor and had a resume for getting in. Most don't have the luxury, and quite frankly I can't blame our government for turning them away. Every story is different, but we can't accept everyone.

We don't take in refugees because they offer something to our country, you're thinking of immigrants. Refugees are people escaping inhumane conditions, like war or persecution. Nor should we base our helping refugees on what they can offer us in return. They will, because human condition causes us to want to be productive members of our societies. In fact, I have known many more immigrant business owners than I have known ones born in Canada. It's not because they're smarter, but in my opinion because they're conditioned to hustle, unlike most Canadians who have arguably great social support systems in place.

The thing is, we can accept everyone. We have enough land, water, and resources to support a much bigger population. The only reason I can see anyone using this argument is because they want what we have for themselves. Canada's population, like most of the western world, is falling. If it's not for immigration, we'll be going backwards as is. We need new comers. Yes, we need ones with skills, but these are refugees we're talking about. I think it's incredibly cold to turn them away because they're not engineers or doctors. They will still contribute.

It's a good thing your opinion doesn't carry much weight, I'll just leave it at that.

Refuges aren't immigrants. As a prosperous nation, I think it is our duty to help people escaping persecution. Sadly, our government thinks it's preferable to spend half a billion dollars dropping bombs on ISIS and pretend it's a humanitarian mission instead.

Frankly, I'd rather have a refugee whom I don't know anything about, than Canadians with opinions like this.

Our government structures have been suffering from a starve the beast strategy employed by the current government. We can easily do both, if we actually set out with the purpose of having such a society that takes care of those in need. Blame those mismanaging the nation's resources, not the refugees.

We don't take in refugees because they offer something to our country, you're thinking of immigrants. Refugees are people escaping inhumane conditions, like war or persecution. Nor should we base our helping refugees on what they can offer us in return. They will, because human condition causes us to want to be productive members of our societies. In fact, I have known many more immigrant business owners than I have known ones born in Canada. It's not because they're smarter, but in my opinion because they're conditioned to hustle, unlike most Canadians who have arguably great social support systems in place.

The thing is, we can accept everyone. We have enough land, water, and resources to support a much bigger population. The only reason I can see anyone using this argument is because they want what we have for themselves. Canada's population, like most of the western world, is falling. If it's not for immigration, we'll be going backwards as is. We need new comers. Yes, we need ones with skills, but these are refugees we're talking about. I think it's incredibly cold to turn them away because they're not engineers or doctors. They will still contribute.

+1 sir

it's going to sadden me greatly to read the negative responses to this

I don't think we should be taking in anyone, regardless of the reason (immigration, refugee status). Unless they demonstrate they can be an asset to our nation. If we lower the bar to your expectations than hundreds of millions of people should be able to seek shelter in our country. I'd like the hope for better conditions on earth in the future as well, but your ideals on how 1st world country's are responsible for everyone isn't going to help progression. It's going to slow down progression, and potentially unravel it.

We help humanity by leading the way through innovation and superior education, not by a go out and save the world complex.

I don't think we should be taking in anyone, regardless of the reason (immigration, refugee status). Unless they demonstrate they can be an asset to our nation. If we lower the bar to your expectations than hundreds of millions of people should be able to seek shelter in our country. I'd like the hope for better conditions on earth in the future as well, but your ideals on how 1st world country's are responsible for everyone isn't going to help progression. It's going to slow down progression, and potentially unravel it.

We help humanity by leading the way through innovation and superior education, not by a go out and save the world complex.

that didn't take long :sadno:

+1 sir

it's going to sadden me greatly to read the negative responses to this

Like GlassJaw says, these threads are great for giving people enough proverbial rope to hang themselves with.

When I was your age, I had a utilitarian view toward society. I was never against immigration, probably because I'm an immigrant, but I thought people's worth should be measured in their utility to the society. Needless to say, I don't think that way anymore.

I'm sure hundreds of millions have been able to seek shelter in Canada before. It in no way means they all will try. Not only are there other nations, better nations, but they don't all want to leave their homes either. If we're talking war refugees, I think NATO allies should be working together to take in refugees instead of working together to make more of them.

I understand your position, but I don't think you're appreciating what makes people refugees in the first place. In many cases, it's either refugee status or death, imprisonment, and torture. We're not talking about refugees from crappy countries where everyone struggles. Hungarians aren't refugees, but Hungarian Roma are.

Yes, we help humanity by leading the way. Let's lead the way then. Let's lead humanity to accepting and helping those with nowhere left to go. Let's lead the way in allowing these people to contribute to a society that leads the way, instead of leading the way in sending people to their deaths.

I know I'm making an emotional argument, but I just can't help but get feels when people are so cold toward those in need.

We need refugees/immigrants. Our birth rates are too low to keep our population level up on our own. Without immigration our population would be shrinking. When we hear it said that there are already too many people on this planet those people are not in first world nations. All first world nations are facing population decline without immigration. Japan is the prime example of a first world country that is highly resistant to immigration and facing population decline because of it. There were 2 million Japanese babies born per year in the 1970s. 2015 Is looking to be the first year the number is below 1 million. IF this continues the long term effects for that country will be nothing short of devastating.

EDIT: Gypsies have been persecuted the world over for hundreds of years. I thought we were better than that. We can be. We should be. Im not saying to let every refugee in. Im saying to make the process fair for all.

We need refugees/immigrants. Our birth rates are too low to keep our population level up on our own. Without immigration our population would be shrinking. When we hear it said that there are already too many people on this planet those people are not in first world nations. All first world nations are facing population decline without immigration. Japan is the prime example of a first world country that is highly resistant to immigration and facing population decline because of it. There were 2 million Japanese babies born per year in the 1970s. 2015 Is looking to be the first year the number is below 1 million. IF this continues the long term effects for the country will be devastating.

Your argument went downhill right here. We have an ever increasing population crisis on this planet. You're not very aware of your surroundings are you?

Like GlassJaw says, these threads are great for giving people enough proverbial rope to hang themselves with.

When I was your age, I had a utilitarian view toward society. I was never against immigration, probably because I'm an immigrant, but I thought people's worth should be measured in their utility to the society. Needless to say, I don't think that way anymore.

I'm sure hundreds of millions have been able to seek shelter in Canada before. It in no way means they all will try. Not only are there other nations, better nations, but they don't all want to leave their homes either. If we're talking war refugees, I think NATO allies should be working together to take in refugees instead of working together to make more of them.

I understand your position, but I don't think you're appreciating what makes people refugees in the first place. In many cases, it's either refugee status or death, imprisonment, and torture. We're not talking about refugees from crappy countries where everyone struggles. Hungarians aren't refugees, but Hungarian Roma are.

Yes, we help humanity by leading the way. Let's lead the way then. Let's lead humanity to accepting and helping those with nowhere left to go. Let's lead the way in allowing these people to contribute to a society that leads the way, instead of leading the way in sending people to their deaths.

I know I'm making an emotional argument, but I just can't help but get feels when people are so cold toward those in need.

At the end of the day I admit I have a cyncical view on things and a very low tolerance for stupid, or utterly useless people. I just think we have to make choices to that make tomorrow better, not choices that make today better. Because is we live completely in today and ignore tomorrow. We'll go off course and spiral downwards. That's my perspective anyway.

Your argument went downhill right here. We have an ever increasing population crisis on this planet. You're not very aware of your surroundings are you?

No, the population in the third world is growing. The population of the western world is dropping. Or rather developed world.

I suggest you watch this video to get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVimVzgtD6w

At the end of the day I admit I have a cyncical view on things and a very low tolerance for stupid, or utterly useless people. I just think we have to make choices to that make tomorrow better, not choices that make today better. Because is we live completely in today and ignore tomorrow. We'll go off course and spiral downwards. That's my perspective anyway.

Who do you see as useless people? So far, the impression I have is you see anyone without a useful skill useless, without any regard for their potential. Am I off?

No, the population in the third world is growing. The population of the western world is dropping. Or rather developed world.

I suggest you watch this video to get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVimVzgtD6w

Who do you see as useless people? So far, the impression I have is you see anyone without a useful skill useless, without any regard for their potential. Am I off?

If you subscribe to an ancient ideology that leads you down a path of irrationality and stupid behavior. I have no problem with your gene pool walking off a cliff.

Not that I'd support pushing them. Just that it's not our responsibility to lift up everyone. Just to debunk archaic ideology that will misguide people. Then others can make an easier decision for themselves, because less will subscribe to the gang mentality of their cults brainwashing them. I'll let them on board as captain, not the ones that think stoning someone to death for adultery is okay.

If you subscribe to an ancient ideology that leads you down a path of irrationality and stupid behavior. I have no problem with your gene pool walking off a cliff.

I hope Jazz and co. are listening.

Why are you judging people based on your subjective views of what is useful or not? Should the same be done with your usefulness? What about refugee children who have unlimited potential?

In conclusion I'm against squandering resources for those that have (even if sadly their were born into it and bought into it) subscribed to ideas that will not help our nation move forward. If backwards ideology has been absorbed into someone young, their potential is almost all but squandered, censorship of information in some third world countries is almost insurmountable. And no this isn't some xenophobic belief, I think many in our own country are squandered potential because of how stupid many of them are.

I'm not giving up hypothetical oxygen for someone who isn't helping the team move in the right direction.

In conclusion I'm against squandering resources for those that have (even if sadly their were born into it and bought into it) subscribed to ideas that will not help our nation move forward. If backwards ideology has been absorbed into someone young, their potential is almost all but squandered, censorship of information in some third world countries is almost insurmountable. And no this isn't some xenophobic belief, I think many in our own country are squandered potential because of how stupid many of them are.

I'm not giving up hypothetical oxygen for someone who isn't helping the team move in the right direction.

In conclusion of what? You've not presented anything to base your opinion on, besides hyperbole about squandering resources on stupid people. If we are to get anywhere, you must at the very least establish who is useless (and no, saying religious people are useless isn't an established fact, far from it in fact).

I'll ask you, what do you do that moves the team in the right direction? Based on whose values are you moving in the right direction?

Objectively speaking, refugees are people escaping bad conditions. Subjectively speaking, they are good for nothing backward barbarians. I don't know about you, but I try to base my subjective view of the world on objective data. In this case, objective data suggests they are people like you and me, they can perform jobs that this country needs done, and their children have the same potential as any Canadian, if they're permitted to grow up in Canada.

Well since you didnt read the rest of my post you wouldnt understand what my argument was. If you did read it and still came up with this reply..well good luck in all of your future endeavors.

Their culture seems to be rotted with thievery, kidnapping and sexual assault (watch the documentary "my big fat gypsie wedding").

There is currently a group of 6 or so gypsies that go around the Vancouver area and do what is called a distraction theft, victimizing the elderly by robbing them blind.

Bottom line is that we do not accept criminals and many of these so called "refugees" appear to be trying to escape lawful justice.

Archived