The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roma refugees victims of systemic discrimination in Canada, new report finds

Must say, it's too bad gypsies aren't Jews. One stateless peoples can't even get refugee status here, while we're unequivocally supporting the other's new nation as it acts as a theocratic democracy and treats Arabs as second class citizens.

Harper said we won't recognize Canada. He's not even done, and I would say he has already succeeded. This place has gotten a lot shttier for (almost) everyone.

In conclusion I'm against squandering resources for those that have (even if sadly their were born into it and bought into it) subscribed to ideas that will not help our nation move forward. If backwards ideology has been absorbed into someone young, their potential is almost all but squandered, censorship of information in some third world countries is almost insurmountable. And no this isn't some xenophobic belief, I think many in our own country are squandered potential because of how stupid many of them are.

I'm not giving up hypothetical oxygen for someone who isn't helping the team move in the right direction.

So you are saying that people who are caught in a warzone, or have to leave or be killed because of their religion and must flee their homeland end up in a refugee camp and then come to our country with minimal education simply because there wasn't much education offered in that camp- that they are wasting your oxygen?

They aren't stupid they simply weren't given a chance to have an education. It's too bad you don't see that.

I don't discriminate against anyone on anything other than what they can provide for humanity. Some people are born where it's a long shot to get involved with anything other than poverty or crime, and that's unfortunate, but I'm more concerned about a great Canadian city becoming the next Detroit. Than I am about providing resources to people who don't provide something in return. Our ancestors built what we have today (Sure by gruesome means at times) and other cultures failed to do so for their own people. That doesn't mean they can hand off the responsibility of taking care of the babies they spit out, just because their nearly incapable. By so many people's standards in this thread, North America should be providing land and resources for hundreds of millions of people. And when they gain citizenship and vote, our countries ideals and beliefs and progress will slowly unravel.

You can guys can label me xenophobic, but I'm not the one whining about wealthy Asians coming to the lower mainland and taking university and college seats away from those born in Canada. As far as I'm concerned if you lose your seat, or job to someone from another country. It's because they did a better job setting them self up for success than you did. And that's just too bad. My views may seem unforgiving to my fellow human beings, but I judge people based on what their contributing. That and I've become as cynical as Stanhope these days. But I'm really just more so disappointed in how everyone's ancestors laid out society. I don't believe imaginary lines in the dirt should even be able to block people in and out of "countries". But since this is how it is, we need to protect our own first, before helping foreigners. Progress and innovation will eventually prop up the world as a whole, but we need to get their first without destroying the progress we've made.

I'd suggest everyone with a white savior complex, look into how their ideals would become a hindrance to progress, rather than a jump start to it.

Racism against Roma people is really widespread across Europe. Some of the stuff a lot of Europeans say about them is shocking, and whenever you call them out on it, all they say is "You're not from here. You have no idea how bad these people are."

Well, you're not from the hood... you have no idea how bad black people are. Oops, that's racist.

People use they're limited experiences with Roma people to blast an entire race.

inb4 "oh yeah well you're blasting all Europeans blah blah". No, I'm not. Not all Europeans are to blame, but racism against Roma people is a really big problem in Europe. One of the most accepted forms of racism I've seen in developed countries.

Racism against Roma people is really widespread across Europe. Some of the stuff a lot of Europeans say about them is shocking, and whenever you call them out on it, all they say is "You're not from here. You have no idea how bad these people are."

Well, you're not from the hood... you have no idea how bad black people are. Oops, that's racist.

People use they're limited experiences with Roma people to blast an entire race.

inb4 "oh yeah well you're blasting all Europeans blah blah". No, I'm not. Not all Europeans are to blame, but racism against Roma people is a really big problem in Europe. One of the most accepted forms of racism I've seen in developed countries.

I agree 100%..

I did some research and apparently the Roma people are essentially brown people from India.. that migrated all the way to Eastern Europe around 1000 years ago.

Speaking as brown person this could explain some of their lack of morals lol

I agree 100%..

I did some research and apparently the Roma people are essentially brown people from India.. that migrated all the way to Eastern Europe around 1000 years ago.

This could explain their lack of morals lol

They're dalits who left 1400 years ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/9719058/European-Roma-descended-from-Indian-untouchables-genetic-study-shows.html

racism is rampant across the entire world, across every culture. not sure why it would be any different in europe

Whoa... definitely two sides to this story...

In Ireland these people just come and steal things... and they just expect everyone else to go along with it. Its like a "tax" or something, so they will leave you alone.

I know from the family of my brother's wife. I know its difficult to imagine, but needless to say we cant have any of that over here.

In Ireland these people just come and steal things... and they just expect everyone else to go along with it. Its like a "tax" or something, so they will leave you alone.

I know from the family of my brother's wife. I know its difficult to imagine, but needless to say we cant have any of that over here.

Ok first off you're confusing two different people..

Those people in Ireland are called "Irish travellers" and are completely separate from Roma gypsies..

Majority of them aren't even racially or culturally related..

The term gypsy is mostly used to describe Itinerant people who travel to different place,etc..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itinerant_groups_in_Europe

So basically, it's Roma people commit crimes, because they have no homes, jobs, education, etc...The fact they commit crimes is then used to deny them homes, jobs, education, etc...

Anyone see the problem here.

So basically, it's Roma people commit crimes, because they have no homes, jobs, education, etc...The fact they commit crimes is then used to deny them homes, jobs, education, etc...

Don't forget being forced into sterilization..

http://praguepost.com/czech-news/42144-roma-women-to-be-compensated-over-sterilization

http://strasbourgobservers.com/2011/11/17/court-condemns-forced-sterilization-of-roma-woman/

many Roma communities (maybe even most?) are not looking for integration. they reject the idea of "homes" in the traditional western sense in preference to caravans and (what is essentially) squatting. things like 'jobs' and 'education' are also rejected, as is citizenship, taxation, and the like. it's a far more complicated situation than you're suggesting

In Ireland it's not just gypsies, it's anyone who will come and steal stuff out of your yard. The economy is really bad espcially in rural areas and people will take anything they can. The gardai aren't going to do anything in most cases.

Archived