The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Muppets May Be Rebooted

nucklehead

According to The Hollywood Reporter, ABC is considering bringing back The Muppet Show in its classic variety-show format. The network is having a proof-of-concept — not quite a full pilot — shot for a presentation, and the show is reportedly in line for a straight-to-series order if ABC likes what it sees. Now for the, uh, good or bad news depending on how you see it: Bill Prady, co-creator of The Big Bang Theory, is co-writing the script. Prady has a history with the franchise, having written for many of its incarnations.

The reboot is supposed to bring back The Muppets' classic cast of characters and feature a very meta story about them meeting to reboot their own show. The Reporter also has one other key detail: apparently Netflix had some interest in the show as well, but for one reason or another it ended up at ABC.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/3/8340823/muppets-reboot-abc-tv-show

Well, this has the potential to be done very right or very wrong...

Going to be almost impossible to recapture the magic, not only have we lost Jim Henson (Kermit, Rowlf, Dr Teeth, Waldorf, and the main force behind the whole enterprise)), but also Jerry Jule (main Writer), Jerry Nelson (Floyd, Pops the Doorman, Robin the Frog, Uncle Deadly), and Richard Hunt (Janice, Beaker, Sweetums, Statler) also Kevin Clash was forced to resign from the muppets and Frank Oz as essentially retired. The new peopel have done a good job and Dave Goelz and Steve Whitmire have filled some very big shoes, but the original performers put so much of themselves inti developing the characters, can't really replace that and the chemistry between them.

I'd be down as long as they concentrate of the right characters.

Kermit and Piggy pretty much have to be there, but it wouldn't be the same without Waldorf and Statler, the Swedish Chef, Sammy Eagle, Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Dr Teeth and Animal....

i'm preemptively rolling my eyes at the next five posts which will read something to effect of: "oh my god stop ruining my childhood" or "is there no original idea in hollywood anymore? the 90s were the best"

i think that its an awesome idea .. loved the variety show thang the muppets brought .. something I can actually watch with my kids and love too

I am all for this, espescialy after how good the last 2 muppets movies were. it's clear that they have the potential to recapture the magic of the original show. I say keep the format and opening exactly the same, variety sketch show with celebrity hosts and hilarious family friendly fun for all. don't try to add a storyline, don't try to add crap that doesn't belong. just do it right and it could be huge again.

I am all for this, espescialy after how good the last 2 muppets movies were. it's clear that they have the potential to recapture the magic of the original show. I say keep the format and opening exactly the same, variety sketch show with celebrity hosts and hilarious family friendly fun for all. don't try to add a storyline, don't try to add crap that doesn't belong. just do it right and it could be huge again.

Amen, my friend.

Archived