The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Cadets

You know the ones that stand outside grocery stores begging for change? What's up with that?

I have a very unfavorable view of having children join quasi-military organizations to... well I don't really understand the purpose of the cadets, which is why I made this thread. I looked up their activities, and I don't see why what they do has to be associated with the armed forces. Children can certainly learn to "conquer winter" without any military undertones. Especially in Canada, where we don't have any natural enemies, nor a history of defending our nation from conflict.

I would like to get some opinions and even experiences if possible. As is, my stomach churns every time I see children in army uniforms and I can't help but feel disdain for their parents and any adults that, in my opinion, groom children into soldiers.

Some images to convey my thoughts:

IMG_0059.JPG

Hitler Youth or Canadian Cadets?

comeau%20fitness.jpg

Almost old enough to play war for real.

5173833128_897b2473c1.jpg

Remembering soldiers that perished in a war of aggression half way around the world? Or getting ready to replace them in our latest adventure?

escadron_cadets.JPG

Do these children understand what a soldier is and what he does?

05-2013.jpg

Romanticizing war. Good thing her legs aren't blown off.

c7.jpg

Ready, aim, shoot... people that never wronged you or your country.

benoit.jpg

From this moment on, you do not think. You only do as you're told.

I think it's pretty clear that crossing military and children makes me very uneasy. :sadno:

I looked up their activities, and I don't see why what they do has to be associated with the armed forces.

Romanticizing war. Good thing her legs aren't blown off.

I think you summed it up nicely. I'm sure there's some good reason that they have for it, but that's likely what's behind it.

I dont think it's doing the kids any harm. I was never in cadets myself but my older brother and sister were and they both eventually joined the regular airforce. My sister opted out fairly early and became a homemaker but my brother has gone on to have a very successful 20 year military career, and they're both very normal people.

Cadets isn't a bad thing although it might not be for everybody, so as long as kids aren't forced into it I think it's good. It doesn't cost money to be involved in, the cadets actually make money when they go to camp, and it keeps them from becoming overweight couch potatoes. Additionally it teaches respect as well, which I think has become lacking amongst a lot of younger people. Cadets has more pros than cons the way I see it.

I dont think it's doing the kids any harm. I was never in cadets myself but my older brother and sister were and they both eventually joined the regular airforce. My sister opted out fairly early and became a homemaker but my brother has gone on to have a very successful 20 year military career, and they're both very normal people.

Cadets isn't a bad thing although it might not be for everybody, so as long as kids aren't forced into it I think it's good. It doesn't cost money to be involved in, the cadets actually make money when they go to camp, and it keeps them from becoming overweight couch potatoes. Additionally it teaches respect as well, which I think has become lacking amongst a lot of younger people. Cadets has more pros than cons the way I see it.

I would counter and say the fact they joined the military shows that the program may be grooming future soldiers from childhood. Which I find not good at all.

I suppose it may not be self-evident that I oppose the military in Canada as absolutely useless. We have never had to defend Canada from invaders, and our geographical location leaves us vulnerable to the only (realistic) adversary in Russia. Which we cannot compete with in any sense of the word.

Instead, our brave men and women go to Middle East to kill and die, and our wonderful government spends billions of dollars bombing people who pose no threat to use whatsoever, under the guise of a humanitarian mission (an absolutely absurd description for our actions against ISIS).

Regarding kids not being forced into it, I don't think that's enough to say it's fine. Parents obviously have much influence on their kids, and their militarism can easily rub off on kids before they can comprehend what military service entails, or what war is.

In terms of teaching respect, et al, I think that can be accomplished without explicitly tying it to a military. Canada is in a unique position to move away from old ways and lead the world in peaceful existence.

This doesn't mean I'm an ideologue who opposes military on the whole. While I do hope that eventually we have a semblance of world peace under a global government, I'm not naive to think China, US, Russia, et al, will co-operate to disarm any time soon. My views above are limited to Canada as far as practicality goes.

It sounds like you are disrespecting Canada's armed forces, My brother was in Naval cadets as was I. It teaches valuable lessons and structure amongst many other positive attributes. Canada serves and defends all over the world.

Proud Strong and Free.

It sounds like you are disrespecting Canada's armed forces, My brother was in Naval cadets as was I. It teaches valuable lessons and structure amongst many other positive attributes. Canada serves and defends all over the world.

Proud Strong and Free.

someone take this thread down

It sounds like you don't understand what I'm saying in the slightest. Feel free to leave this thread and put me on ignore.

For starters, if you believe in sending 18-22 yr old bundles of potential off to fight in illegal wars perpetuated by disgusting foreign policy and mass media propaganda. Than you should walk to the nearest bridge and jump. Either that or wake the hell up and understand the dynamics behind the military industrial complex.

Mind you our nation has little history of fighting to defend itself, let alone occupying other countries, but nearly everyone these days has family or friends in many different countries. Some times even ones involved in conflict. But cadets is clearly just a boot camp-esque indoctrination school. They're taking a kid that's still developing his/her understanding of the world and filling their brain with BS, and nationalistic pride that serves them almost no good other than to help them eventually pull the trigger against foreign strangers they don't know, or understand. You're taught in an even more disciplined manner that say.. public school, that you should always obey authority and never question it.

The military in of itself isn't what's terrible though, it's fact that every government operates like a self-sustaining organism that tries to keep itself alive at all cost. Even at the expense of it's citizens. When corporatism collides with the military industrial complex. The military becomes a business. A business regulated by the government. Which is the fundamental equation that develops fascism.

Anyone recall the last General to.. lead from the front?

Following your reasoning, you must also be against kids and teens playing paintball - a military combat simulation - as well as military-themed video games. Right? Just want to make sure you're not being hypocritical.

In fact, given that the general tone of your post is anti-military, let's just make sure that you don't participate in any quasi-military activities either. Confirm?

Following your reasoning, you must also be against kids and teens playing paintball - a military combat simulation - as well as military-themed video games. Right? Just want to make sure you're not being hypocritical.

In fact, given that the general tone of your post is anti-military, let's just make sure that you don't participate in any quasi-military activities either. Confirm?

i don't get the connection. people simulating combat isn't the same thing as someone being indoctrinated and trained by a the Canadian Armed Forces...?

if anything, the only mantra chanted by people who play paintball is "DO THE DEW!" or something

I generally dislike those who invest themselves in paintball and even more so for airsoft. There are always some people who just do it for the thrill or amusement. If ever I play, I either bring a wooden sword (airsoft) or lightsaber (paintball) and just yell and charge at the enemy. Then there are those who take shooting each other with pellets way too seriously. Playfighting is fun, but I am turned off by the culture around stuff like that.

@Lockout Casualty. Try to remove your own preconceptions about the military AND also the nationalist preconception. Try to take a step back and be ambivalent, since you might be able to find the answer yourself. Ask yourself these things. What reasons are there for adults to join the military? Why do parents send their kids to cadets? Then try to framework these questions for other countries. Take South Korea for example. They join the army because they must. For those who choose to join and become officers (or enlisted women), it's just a way of life for the poor and less educated. Kids are sent to boot camps by their parents so that they can get off the computer, learn the values of order and respect.

What I'm trying to say is that in Korea, joining the military is not done out of patriotic spirit. So think about what the modern Canadian military provides. For the record, I wish the CAF would be better off emulating the UN Peacekeepers. There is MUCH more to military than just attacking other countries and shooting people. It's just that the current government has been pushing the army towards that end.

Aren't cadets essentially a more badass version of cub scouts?

I personally don't have an issue with this unless kids are forced into it and/or the military tricks them later on into becoming a soldier.

Proud Strong and Free.

lol I love that last line...

I see those commercials by the government all the time..

Nowadays what does it defend from? Somali Pirates? It's more like serving and carving out interests in a specific region of the world.

IWhat I'm trying to say is that in Korea, joining the military is not done out of patriotic spirit. So think about what the modern Canadian military provides. For the record, I wish the CAF would be better off emulating the UN Peacekeepers. There is MUCH more to military than just attacking other countries and shooting people. It's just that the current government has been pushing the army towards that end.

How many peacekeeping mission have prevented further violence, hint : you can count them on one hand. If you have a better idea how to deal with ISIS and other terror groups, please let the Cdn Government know.

For Lockout Casualty, I spent 26 year in the CAF and from my experience, the majority of people who join have no previous affiliation with any other military institutions. What the Cadets do is foster responsibilities, leadership, teamwork, confidence a sense of belonging. Maybe you would want these same kids to join a street gang instead!

I generally dislike those who invest themselves in paintball and even more so for airsoft. There are always some people who just do it for the thrill or amusement. If ever I play, I either bring a wooden sword (airsoft) or lightsaber (paintball) and just yell and charge at the enemy. Then there are those who take shooting each other with pellets way too seriously. Playfighting is fun, but I am turned off by the culture around stuff like that.

@Lockout Casualty. Try to remove your own preconceptions about the military AND also the nationalist preconception. Try to take a step back and be ambivalent, since you might be able to find the answer yourself. Ask yourself these things. What reasons are there for adults to join the military? Why do parents send their kids to cadets? Then try to framework these questions for other countries. Take South Korea for example. They join the army because they must. For those who choose to join and become officers (or enlisted women), it's just a way of life for the poor and less educated. Kids are sent to boot camps by their parents so that they can get off the computer, learn the values of order and respect.

What I'm trying to say is that in Korea, joining the military is not done out of patriotic spirit. So think about what the modern Canadian military provides. For the record, I wish the CAF would be better off emulating the UN Peacekeepers. There is MUCH more to military than just attacking other countries and shooting people. It's just that the current government has been pushing the army towards that end.

My country can find $12 billion for fighter planes that would not really make much diffference if aus was invaded but we cannot seem to find the money we promised to give to nations less fortunate than us , let alone the homeless , handicapped and elderly in our own communities who are getting their support sevices, slashed.

Some of us are getting pissed off with sending our young men to kill other young men and die in pointless conflicts.

Make no mistake every war/conflict apart from WW2 had no moral justification and while there are morons who want to pick up a gun and " serve their country " we will continue to fight these pointless wars.

How many peacekeeping mission have prevented further violence, hint : you can count them on one hand. If you have a better idea how to deal with ISIS and other terror groups, please let the Cdn Government know.

For Lockout Casualty, I spent 26 year in the CAF and from my experience, the majority of people who join have no previous affiliation with any other military institutions. What the Cadets do is foster responsibilities, leadership, teamwork, confidence a sense of belonging. Maybe you would want these same kids to join a street gang instead!

So instead of joining a gang where hurting and killing others is illegal , they should join an organisation where hurting and killing others is legal and you will be rewarded for it .

Fighting ISIS and other terrorist groups via military only fixes the problem for a short period of time.. long term it does nothing to address the overall issues and if anything ignites more hatred.

The real culprits lie within certain countries in the Middle East..

Maybe our government should just get the frack out of there? and if we actually face a real threat rather than the mindless propaganda being spewed out then we should act and prepare for it..

I am talking about dealing with domestic matters. Emergency services for when a disaster strikes a community. Assisting police during city parades. Stuff the CAF already does, but just doing it more.

Archived