The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Cadets

• 1 year later...

I was an air cadet from April 6,2006 to my last night November 22, 2012 and from being in the cadets for that long I came to the conclusion that because the DND sponsors the program, the are required to wear the military like uniform (although during our field training weekends in air cadets, we can wear what ever civilian clothing we want, we just cant wear CADPAT) because it's tradition. Tradition being any program or organization run or sponsored by the military wears a uniform similar to the current or previous military uniform for their ceremonial uniform (this is for all countries).

Every country that has cadets (with some exceptions) classify their cadets as civilian (the only exceptions I know of to this is Russia's cadets who are actually members of the military as they literally actually train for real combat (and then they become officers I think and this started in the early USSR days) and the US Junior Officers Training Corps (JOTC) (which when it comes to the air force element, the Civil Air Patrol, the equivalent of the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, they are civilian and are the ones you do a lot of the search and rescue (if not the sole group in the US that does it) and because they are sponsored or run by the Department of Defence (forget which it is), they wear the military like uniform. It's the Canadian Forces that do the search and rescue in Canada.

Now most cadets will do drill with arms (rifles) in drill team or on parade, the flag party and possibly even (sometimes units) a "division" or "platoon" (not "flight" in air cadets because that really has nothing to do with us) but they are only for drill which is why they are called Drill Purpose (DP) rifles. In eastern Canada however with the air cadets, the Air Cadet League of Quebec (which includes Ottawa), the provincial branch of the Air Cadet League of Canada, thought it made us look like child soldiers and banned the air cadets from marching with rifles.

Because the Youth Canadian Rangers (I forget the actual name for their cadets) are also sponsored by the DND they were military like uniforms too, although their uniform is limited to combat boots and the old OD Green combat pants.

I support the military and I have for as long as I can remember because my military heritage dates back to WW2 and possibly even WW1 (unconfirmed). It is to the point where I almost start to worship the military (a bit of exaggeration there) even though my dad and uncle were only in it to pay for college and as soon as they graduated, they left. I still had cousins in the military till recently and my aunts husband left the navy 3 days before being promoted to...I think it was Commander. So it's been a little bit of a tradition to serve in the military in my family even if it's only for a real short time. Police, fire, and Paramedics (and security to some extent) also look for that stuff in someones resume when they apply because it means that the applicant has been disciplined (depending on their rank and how long they were in) and has the drill training (marching and that sort of thing) which is used in the basic training for ceremonial occasions and in police, they look for various training found in cadets like fitness training of military style as the same fitness training is applied to police and military. So when you were in cadets for so long, the military, police, fire and paramedics bump you to the top of their list above everyone else who qualifies because you have the closest training to their training (in Canada, assuming you have done Police Foundations, the paramedic or fire program in college required to even apply) and they are usually accepted almost on the spot. With air cadets, airlines look for former air cadets and bump them at the top of the list for the pilots license reasons if the air cadets has their license. 40% of airline pilots got their license from air cadets which is another reason why people join air cadets. And as others said, the air cadets pay you to get your license.

All of the above is why many Canadian Youths join cadets. It puts them at the top of the list in those career choices and their acceptance rate for either of those is almost always.

Now for me, I have low frequency hearing loss in my left ear which means I'm medically unfit for the military so cadets makes up for it even though we do not remotely serve Canada in any way and that is why we are not classified as military but still wear the military like uniforms.

Edit Update:

To compete to have the same thing and to the scale of cadets but not run or in Canada's case, sponsored by the military is impossible because you would require the money only the military (or at least government) has access too and that's why it's growing so much. No one else financially can do for someones career in any of the above that cadets can do and bring them so close. Not even Trump without loosing a lot/most of his business (because loosing a lot of money to finance this sort of thing).

On April 10, 2015 at 10:20 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

F*** drama.

Hate to burst your bubble Bob, Shakespeare will be remembered long after you shuffle off your mortal coil, or the rest of us come to think of it. For someone who's livelihood is based on communication, reading, and English. To have a dim view of Shakespeare is pretty appalling. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hate to burst your bubble Bob, Shakespeare will be remembered long after you shuffle off your mortal coil, or the rest of us come to think of it. For someone who's livelihood is based on communication, reading, and English. To have a dim view of Shakespeare is pretty appalling. 

Wow.  Responding to a 17 month old post.  The poor guy is going to probably have to read the whole thread again in order to catch his bearings.  :lol:

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Wow.  Responding to a 17 month old post.  The poor guy is going to probably have to read the whole thread again in order to catch his bearings.  :lol:

I'm not entirely unsympathetic of your view however when the big one hits I presume you will be self sufficient? The military does a lot of good domestically and can fill in where resources are scarce, in times of natural disasters for instance. On the international scene we do have commitments to NATO and our allies. If this is an issue for you, you need to have a chat with your local MP.

On 2015/4/5 at 4:18 PM, Buddhas Hand said:

So instead of joining a gang where hurting and killing others is illegal , they should join an organisation where hurting and killing others is legal and you will be rewarded for it .

You make it seem like every CAF member has blood on his/her hands. You couldn't be more wrong.

Archived