The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack has to start the playoffs.

Miller was just as instrumental getting the Canucks to the post season as much as Lack. Love the what have you done for me lately mentality most on CDC display over and over. I like Lack and believe he will be our future starter but there are still concerns.

He still hasn't shown or proven he can handle a starter's workload of 50-60 games a season. He's making strides but may have work to go still. Second he hasn't been as stellar as those are making him out to be. He has been notorious for letting in the first goal of the game in a disturbing amount of contests. In the post season, that could help decide a series like the 2011 SCF. Yes he played great against LA but his SV% the previous 3 games was .893 which is nowhere near good enough. We crucify Miller for his stats despite his ability to get wins.

As for who should start, it'll be a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. No one's going to be happy either way and the decision and outcome is going to be scrutinized especially failure.

Miller was brought in to stabilize the goaltending situation and he has done that. There's no way we'd be in a playoff spot right now had we gone with a Lack/Markstrom tandem. That being said, if Lack is developing ahead of schedule and can take over the starting role then the great thing is Miller is movable. What's even better is that with San Jose missing the playoffs, that team will be blown up and will need a goaltender, since they'll part ways with Niemi, which would suit Miller fine since it will allow him to be closer to his wife. Benning knows what he's doing.

As for who starts the playoffs, I don't really care since I have confidence in both and the Canucks aren't expected to go deep anyway.

If Eddie plays well and stays 'unfatigued' Willie plays him.

With Miller's injury an extra week or 2 beyond his being game ready goes a long way to avoiding re-injury.

The extra time training/practice can be the difference during another collision and the opposition will be more than happy to test his knee. He needs to be entirely rock solid for the intensity of the playoffs.

Given the situation there's no upcoming goaltender controversy on the bench or behind it.

Willie wants the best chance of victory. Eddie wants to play and is playing great.

Miller certainly knows the value of extra heal time and will be ready to go.

The media...? they're happy to stir the pot and offer up some false drama.

The fans...? The victims of the media get caught up in the false drama, mission accomplished. The rest of us will focus on hockey.

Which is... not soon? I honestly don't think Miller is even fit. There's no question in my mind who starts, and it's the only one who's healthy.

I listened to the Botchford interview this morning on the team radio. Some how Botchford grew some brain cells this year which is freaking amazing lol. But he had some good points such as

1 Miller is wearing a knee brace and is not even sitting on the bench yet

2 Miller is cold

3 Lack has better numbers than Miller

4 Lack is the warm goalie

5 Lack has won against good teams with an injury depleted team in front of him and at the same time posting better numbers

6 Lack had a stellar performance against the Kings last night

7 It seems that the 2 previous sloppy games had more to do with Lack being physically fatigued and when they finally gave him a days rest he responds with his performance last night against the Kings.

8 He figures WD will start Lack for game #1 and if Lack falters then we can see Miller come in. As this would give Miller the time he needs to get his injury and game in order. If Lack doesn't falter then there is no issue.

9 He figures Management is refiguring their Goalie approach after Lacks performance last night.

Im seriously stunned to hear intelligent words coming from Botchford, but I think he is bang on the money.

I think Lack should start and that he will.

The only thing that makes me think twice about Lack going the distance would be his fatigue levels especially come playoff time. But having Miller as a back up if that happens is not a bad option !

If Ryan Miller never suffered his injury, I'd say him all the way. Even though, yes, I believe Eddie has been the better goalie since New Years or so. Miller is paid to be the guy, he's been "that" guy for several years in this league now, and under more normal circumstances I'd absolutely go with Miller in the playoffs until he falters. But with the knee injury I'm going to say Lack all the way. Even if Miller gets into the last game of the season I don't think that one game is enough of a tune-up to trust him in the playoffs. We'd be in the draft lottery if Lack hadn't stepped up the way he has since Miller went down (can you imagine Markstrom taking the reins) so IMO there's no question he deserves at least game 1.

The minute Miller is ready to play, he should start. I don't want Miller starting in the playoffs with no games to warm up. It is foolhardy to believe we can ride a single goalie into the playoffs and then all the way through it, Lack must be getting worn down. I do hope they give Lack the majority of starts in the first round, he has earned the opportunity, but Miller was brought in to be our number 1 goalie, regardless of whether he should have been, and it stands to reason we will need him before golf season. Give Miller the last 2 starts.

Eddie has the better SV%, therefore, he's less likely to let that goal in than Miller.

Miller gets shot on less because he has better rebound control, so even with the less SV% he lets in lesser goals against a game shown by the GAA.

As for who should start assuming Miller is 100% will depend on the next two games. If he continues to play like he did against LA where he swallowed rebounds and didn't let in any soft ones, then he should be in net, but if he reverts back to the goalie 3 games before letting in 4 goals a game then Miller should start.

Eddies been hot and cold lately bad game against cls has great games against WPG and LA followed by average games against COL and DAL, followed by good game STL and then 3 average games against CHI, NSH, and WPG followed by a perfect game against LA. Overall his stats recently haven't been spectacular.

I think next games will tell who should start if he goes back to being average then miller if he breaks out of this trend and strings a couple of good games then Lack should start.

This being said, it doesn't look like miller is going to be ready in time for the playoffs anyways.

An unlikely scenario that I would consider playing miller is if he gets the start against ARZ pitches a shutout and then a shutout against EDM, how can you not play a goalie that has pitched back to back shutouts.

The minute Miller is ready to play, he should start. I don't want Miller starting in the playoffs with no games to warm up. It is foolhardy to believe we can ride a single goalie into the playoffs and then all the way through it, Lack must be getting worn down. I do hope they give Lack the majority of starts in the first round, he has earned the opportunity, but Miller was brought in to be our number 1 goalie, regardless of whether he should have been, and it stands to reason we will need him before golf season. Give Miller the last 2 starts.

Although I find it hard to take a guy with pig tails seriously I would just like to add that 2 games off for Lack would do wonders for his stamina come game # 1 and beyond.

I disagree. Some goalies are better suited for it than others but IMO it's not unreasonable. In La's first cup year, Quick started 69 regular season games plus playoffs. I do think Lack would benefit from sitting out the Edm or Arz game, but after that day off on Sunday from Melanson maybe that'll be enough. I don't think Miller is anywhere near game shape and 1 game isn't gonna be enough of a tune-up, I don't know if 2 would be either. I say ride Lack as long as he's hot. Since taking over, yeah he's had a couple of bad games like Wpg the other day, but he's also won us a few we really probably shouldn't have. He's shown he's taken that next step in his development since last year. He's beat LA in playoff-type games twice now, and since taking over for Miller he's been fantastic at settling in after letting in the first goal. Say what you want about us allowing the first goal so often, but how many times now have we seen Lack do that only to pull the bootstraps up and elevate his play?

Lack ftw.

I disagree. Some goalies are better suited for it than others but IMO it's not unreasonable. In La's first cup year, Quick started 69 regular season games plus playoffs. I do think Lack would benefit from sitting out the Edm or Arz game, but after that day off on Sunday from Melanson maybe that'll be enough. I don't think Miller is anywhere near game shape and 1 game isn't gonna be enough of a tune-up, I don't know if 2 would be either. I say ride Lack as long as he's hot. Since taking over, yeah he's had a couple of bad games like Wpg the other day, but he's also won us a few we really probably shouldn't have. He's shown he's taken that next step in his development since last year. He's beat LA in playoff-type games twice now, and since taking over for Miller he's been fantastic at settling in after letting in the first goal. Say what you want about us allowing the first goal so often, but how many times now have we seen Lack do that only to pull the bootstraps up and elevate his play?

Lack ftw.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but in my opinion, Lack looked bagged last night after the game. I'm a Lack fan for sure, and think he should be getting the bulk of the starts moving forward. I want Miller playing so he doesn't come in super rusty. Nothing against Lack.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but in my opinion, Lack looked bagged last night after the game. I'm a Lack fan for sure, and think he should be getting the bulk of the starts moving forward. I want Miller playing so he doesn't come in super rusty. Nothing against Lack.

I think pretty much everybody was bagged after last night's game. Emotionally, I sure as hell was too lol. There's plenty of time to rest Lack before ploffs start (ARZ not till thursday, playoffs still 8 days away).

Usually I'm a firm supporter of the rule that a player can't lose their starting job to an injury, but under these circumstances I'd allow an exception. Lack has made some big statements about his makeup this year: bouncing back from bad games, bad goals, etc. Unless Miller is 110% healthy and plays the two remaining games, I want to see Lack between the pipes.

I think pretty much everybody was bagged after last night's game. Emotionally, I sure as hell was too lol. There's plenty of time to rest Lack before ploffs start (ARZ not till thursday, playoffs still 8 days away).

Usually I'm a firm supporter of the rule that a player can't lose their starting job to an injury, but under these circumstances I'd allow an exception. Lack has made some big statements about his makeup this year: bouncing back from bad games, bad goals, etc. Unless Miller is 110% healthy and plays the two remaining games, I want to see Lack between the pipes.

Totally. It hinges on that. If he's not 100% ready then there's no point to it. After all, we're not in the playoffs until LA loses or we win.

Agreed that miller has been great this year but you roll with the hot hand (I don't want to see a cold goalie start the playoffs), it's just unfortunate for miller that he was hurt when he was.

Next year it's another story and miller is our starter bar any trades.

Miller is the starter of this team. He starts.

I'll take a clutch Silver medalist over a still unproven Lack.

Lack is doing exactly what he's supposed to do if he wants to be employed by an NHL team.

Miller is the #1 goaltender on this team.

With such a d!ck move as to start Lack in stead of a benched and healthy Miller during the playoffs insures that never again will another free agent goaltender look at Vancouver in a positive light.

Luonsaga #2?

No thank you.

Miller is the starter of this team. He starts.

I'll take a clutch Silver medalist over a still unproven Lack.

Lack is doing exactly what he's supposed to do if he wants to be employed by an NHL team.

Miller is the #1 goaltender on this team.

With such a d!ck move as to start Lack in stead of a benched and healthy Miller during the playoffs insures that never again will another free agent goaltender look at Vancouver in a positive light.

Luonsaga #2?

No thank you.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived