Canucks Community

What to do with Matthias and his line?

Bruce Boudreau

When healthy:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Burrows - Bonino - Vrbata

Matthias - Richardson - Kassian

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

You have Burrows on 2 lines but I'm sure you just meant to put Higgins there.

Hopefully Kassian/Richardson can come come back soon as that big boi line is playoff built

If we could combine Matthias and Kassian together, that would be amazing. Matthias protects the puck well and drives the net hard every game with power forward moves and Kassian has a slick shot who also finishes his checks and gets physical. If only they could morph into one human being.......

When you give up an all star goalie for a supposed power forward. That is what is expected. Not a gentle giant who loses 3/4 of his puck battles in the corner.Mathias is in his UFA year and its his time to cash in. One would think he would go balls out every game to get a huge offer thrown at him by numerous teams come July 1.

I agree totally. It is time for him to pick it up or he is literally costing himself hundreds of thousand dollars; if not millions.

so far i havent seen kassian do better with the sedins than burrows. you sure thats an upgrade?

Playoffs are different (refs put away the whistles) and the Sedins need a line mate who can prevent the extra stuff. Kass has a screw loose (in a good way, mostly) and that will make the other teams think before taking any cheap shots.

so far i havent seen kassian do better with the sedins than burrows. you sure thats an upgrade?

Burr can play LW, Kass us exclusively a RW. Or go with Matthias - Richardson - Kassian and Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen, as posted above. Personally I prefer that lineup, Burrows can do the dirty work with the Sedins better than Kass, they dominated last night and #14 was a huge part of it.

For now, I'd scratch Vey, play Baertschi at LW and Matthias at C, although I think they did fine against LA

Well, we could try to move him to center and move Dorsett to LW and Vey to RW and see what happens. Matthias at centre will have more room to roam the ice than on wing.

Otherwise, nothing... just wait for Richardson (and Kassian) to come back.

Mattias is not the best faceoff man in the game... but he seems to play much better at center, both in the breakout and backchecking.

Until Richardson comes back, I would move him to center, and put either Vey or Baertschi on the wing.

Once Richardson comes back, Mattias has to be bumped to the wing again. We desperately need Richardson's faceoff skills.

As much as desiboy loves to harp on Matthias for his drop-off in production since the deadline, I don't think it's unfair to place most of the blame on his linemates. With the injuries to Richie and Kass his quality of linemates hasn't been the best for somebody to produce points. Matthias is a great complementary player but he can't drive a line himself, so having guys like Richardson play with him that can go win possession battles and feed him the puck etc etc makes him exponentially better. I'm still a Vey supporter for the most part, but if we're looking to ice our best lineup in the playoffs I think Vey exits stage right and we need Kass and Richie to help Matthias out.

Archived