The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD's Ice Time strategy is paying off

*Buzzsaw*

Last night the Sedins played their hearts out and turned up their intensity.

Ice time was WAY up over their year's average at close to 21:00 minutes for both of them.

The fact they were able to find that extra gear and turn on the skills is a testament to WD's Ice Time management during the season.

At 34, they can't be expected to play that many minutes regularly and Willie is smart enough to recognize that.

His whole strategy has been about keeping them fresh and ready for key games and the playoffs, and his ability to recognize when they ready to go and to take them off the leash in key games like last night tells you this guy understands the game and his players.

Night and Day compared to Tortorella's approach and the 'old/tired' Sedins of last season. B)

Agreed, I just wish Willie D knew how to bench certain players for skill. Eg Baerstchi for Vey, Kennins or Dorsett.

Not sure why people want to put in inexperienced players for players that have worked their butt off all season for this team during such a critical time.

Why would WD replace Vey, Kenins or Dorsett (all 3 of whom have played great through stretches of this season) for Baerstchi when he has not proven himself yet at the NHL level? I know he has a lot of upside, but is it really the time to test out a new player when the team is fighting for the playoffs?

He's changed his opinion. Ice time strategy and Willie resting the Sedins are two threads along the same line with very different outlooks on similar situations.

He's continuing his opinion, i.e. "thank goodness WD has rested them so far so he can ramp up their play when he needs to."

Last night the Sedins played their hearts out and turned up their intensity.

Ice time was WAY up over their year's average at close to 21:00 minutes for both of them.

The fact they were able to find that extra gear and turn on the skills is a testament to WD's Ice Time management during the season.

At 34, they can't be expected to play that many minutes regularly and Willie is smart enough to recognize that.

His whole strategy has been about keeping them fresh and ready for key games and the playoffs, and his ability to recognize when they ready to go and to take them off the leash in key games like last night tells you this guy understands the game and his players.

Night and Day compared to Tortorella's approach and the 'old/tired' Sedins of last season. B)

This was talked about during the off season Buzzsaw. Benning and Linden knew after watching the playoffs that it was important to run four lines. With the age of the Sedins and how Tortorella used them to death that they would need to cut back they're mins to keep them fresh for the long haul. Also have to give credit to Benning and Linden for seeing this last year and getting the right players to fill those needs.

Depth supplemented by Benning has been a major help in that regard.

Imagine trying to balance the lines out the way Willie has with guys like Dalpe, Sestito and Welch only… :sick:

That's a convenient excuse for going overboard on the 3 line approach.

Show no confidence in your depth players and the result is predictable.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

HIggins Kesler Santorelli

Hansen Richardson Kassian

The leaves Booth, Weise, Pelletier, Sestito, Dalpe, Archibald, Welsh, Lain, Zalewski, Ferriero

Surely a good coach can get more than 3 or 4 minutes a night out of those guys.

Weise wasn't good enough for some fourth line minutes, but has 29 points this year on a President's trophy contender...

The problem wasn't the players Torture-fella had to work with, it was that he busted their balls and got the worst out of virtually everyone on the roster.

He's changed his opinion. Ice time strategy and Willie resting the Sedins are two threads along the same line with very different outlooks on similar situations.

Re-Read my posts.

I haven't change my opinion of WD's strategy.

WD has been resting the Sedins... ALL SEASON... and in particular for the last while... ALL FOR A BIG GAME LIKE THE ONE VERSUS THE KINGS.

He has the option now of playing them more when it counts because he can... because they are fresh.

I expect him to bring down their ice time again for the game versus the Oilers, and possibly against the Flames too.

Re-Read my posts.

I haven't change my opinion of WD's strategy.

It'd be easier to re-read your posts if you kept the ones that are related in the same thread. Why did you create a new thread if they're both about WD's strategy and your opinion hasn't changed?

Not sure why people want to put in inexperienced players for players that have worked their butt off all season for this team during such a critical time.

Why would WD replace Vey, Kenins or Dorsett (all 3 of whom have played great through stretches of this season) for Baerstchi when he has not proven himself yet at the NHL level? I know he has a lot of upside, but is it really the time to test out a new player when the team is fighting for the playoffs?

If that's the case than why don't they just send him back to the farm?

If that's the case than why don't they just send him back to the farm?

Because bringing players up and letting them learn in practice on how to play our system has been a strategy we've used all season long. Baertschi will get sent down again so he can contribute to Utica's playoff run but they want him to get accustomed to our system with NHL competition.

Archived