The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

South Carolina policeman shoots, kills fleeing African american on video

hsedin33

Cop obviously didnt know he was being filmed. Thought he could get away with murder. Seems pretty clear there will be a conviction. Death penalty is highly unlikely so life with no parole. Since he was an officer he will be segregated and spend the rest of his life alone in a little room. Terrible.

Cops getting busted doing this stuff has gone up alongside the general public all having a video camera in their pocket. Without that video it would have been the cops word that the man had his taser and he was acting in self defense. Is this what has been going on all along? Is the past full of situations where an officer murders someone and then sets it up as justifiable? Only now the truth is being captured. Makes you wonder.

I know police killings are rare. So now and in the past they havent been gunning people down every day Im talking about what percentage of shootings really were justified? How many guns were planted on unarmed victims? How many families and friends have had to think their son/brother/father was a criminal when all he did was cross paths with the wrong officer?

Shooting doesn't appear to be justified, but there is some important info missing, he stopped the guy for a brake light not working which is a legit reason to stop him, no need for the guy to get out of the car, what caused the physical altercation after? Did this guy have outstanding warrents? Was there any reason to think this guy was a danger to the public? I would like to know the whole story not just the last part of it.

Shooting doesn't appear to be justified, but there is some important info missing, he stopped the guy for a brake light not working which is a legit reason to stop him, no need for the guy to get out of the car, what caused the physical altercation after? Did this guy have outstanding warrents? Was there any reason to think this guy was a danger to the public? I would like to know the whole story not just the last part of it.

He owed child support and in South Carolina that's enough to get you held in jail for a time because of that. He was found with one of the tazer attachments still hooked into him when he was brought to the hospital. I dunno if you can grab at a cop's tazer or not when he's actually tazing you with it.

Start sticking body cameras on these cops and remove all doubt. It protects them and potentially the person they are arresting. Film doesn't lie.

Cop obviously didnt know he was being filmed. Thought he could get away with murder. Seems pretty clear there will be a conviction. Death penalty is highly unlikely so life with no parole. Since he was an officer he will be segregated and spend the rest of his life alone in a little room. Terrible.

Cops getting busted doing this stuff has gone up alongside the general public all having a video camera in their pocket. Without that video it would have been the cops word that the man had his taser and he was acting in self defense. Is this what has been going on all along? Is the past full of situations where an officer murders someone and then sets it up as justifiable? Only now the truth is being captured. Makes you wonder.

I know police killings are rare. So now and in the past they havent been gunning people down every day Im talking about what percentage of shootings really were justified? How many guns were planted on unarmed victims? How many families and friends have had to think their son/brother/father was a criminal when all he did was cross paths with the wrong officer?

Being America, there's absolutely nothing clear about what will happen to the cop. There's a reason black people have attitudes that they do toward the police. Where this shooting happened, 37% are white, 47% are black, but cops are 80% white.

None of those things matter when a cop shoots a man in the back. He could be Hitler, and shooting him in the back would not be justified. What could possibly change your opinion on this shooting? :rolleyes:

None of those things matter when a cop shoots a man in the back. He could be Hitler, and shooting him in the back would not be justified. What could possibly change your opinion on this shooting? :rolleyes:

Clearly nothing I can say will result in anything other than another arrogant smart a** remark from the peanut gallery, no wonder my ignore list is so long.

I've read that there were over 1100 people killed by police last year in the states. The majority (where info was avail) were unarmed. The rate at which black people are killed by police is about 7 per 1 000 000 people. These are unofficial stats because there are apparently no goverment agencies that track this.

Did anyone see where he walks back to his taser he dropped..picks it up walks back to the mans body and drops it there?

Im almost sick watching this.

so angry

According to the CBC story I read this morning, the cop claimed that the victim had tried to grab his taser. I suppose dropping it beside him was supposed to count as evidence, although I don't see how anyone could construe that as a reason to shoot someone in the back 8 times.

Why are cops allowed to become so out of shape? A fat lazy office uses his weapon instead of running... seems logical. Proper fitness should be extremely important in that line of work... it's shocking that it isn't.

99% of the time I'm supportive of the police but I'll agree with you there. It's never made sense to me how they don't have to do any sort of maintenance testing or anything, just pass the standardized test in the academy and you're good. Too many slightly older cops that aren't physically fit for the job.

I've read that there were over 1100 people killed by police last year in the states. The majority (where info was avail) were unarmed. The rate at which black people are killed by police is about 7 per 1 000 000 people. These are unofficial stats because there are apparently no goverment agencies that track this.

The stats are almost impossible to verify since the data on officer related shootings is inaccurate to say the least. Incomplete is another nice term for it. There is no mandatory reporting by states to federal authorities on police related shootings so national stats are guesses at best. Its as if theres a unwritten rule of "Whatever happens in state stays in state"

So there is not enough accurate and verified information to show definitive trends in police shootings in the US. Most investigative reporters seem to agree that the number of black americans shot by police is much higher than FBI stats show.

What we do know is that in an average month US police kill far more members of the public than Canadian police have killed in over 100 years (since the stats have existed) and in Canada that reporting is mandatory.

The stats are almost impossible to verify since the data on officer related shootings is inaccurate to say the least. Incomplete is another nice term for it. There is no mandatory reporting by states to federal authorities on police related shootings so national stats are guesses at best. Its as if theres a unwritten rule of "Whatever happens in state stays in state"

So there is not enough accurate and verified information to show definitive trends in police shootings in the US. Most investigative reporters seem to agree that the number of black americans shot by police is much higher than FBI stats show.

What we do know is that in an average month US police kill far more members of the public than Canadian police have killed in over 100 years (since the stats have existed) and in Canada that reporting is mandatory.

the stats that I read were based off of reporting in local media/ crowd gathered. I said it was incomplete because there could be cases where it wasn't reported by local media or was missed in searches. The latest numbers I saw were 36 black people killed in March.

Whatever the numbers are they are unacceptable. There is massive problem with police brutality in the states.

Why are cops allowed to become so out of shape? A fat lazy office uses his weapon instead of running... seems logical. Proper fitness should be extremely important in that line of work... it's shocking that it isn't.

you do have to be physically fit to become one, think their fitness tests are pretty intense

but i guess it ends there, once you're on the force u can become a fat f***

I'm pretty disgusted by this and can't believe it happened. I hope this now ex cop gets sent away for a very long time.

So glad the police around here are nothing like this. That also being said, I'm sure there are plenty of members of that department that are good people. The ones like this stand out and are hard to forget.

you do have to be physically fit to become one, think their fitness tests are pretty intense

but i guess it ends there, once you're on the force u can become a fat f***

From what I've heard, the physical fitness tests in Canada have been dumbed down to allow more woman and minorities into the system (ie double standards, woman do less push-ups etc) I know a few RCMP officers who have complained about this a few times, although I cannot verify it to be completely accurate.

From what I've heard, the physical fitness tests in Canada have been dumbed down to allow more woman and minorities into the system (ie double standards, woman do less push-ups etc) I know a few RCMP officers who have complained about this a few times, although I cannot verify it to be completely accurate.

The RCMP uses a test called PARE (Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation) which is basically an obstacle course that must be completed in a certain amount of time. There is also a weight carry section, which is not timed. It's not extremely difficult, but someone who's "out of shape" would probably not be able to complete it at all, let alone in the time allotted.

Successful completion of the PARE test is a requirement for acceptance into the RCMP training center in Regina. Cadets at the training center also undergo physical training, so it's likely that most graduating officers are in good shape. However, maintaining that level of fitness is another story.

According to the CBC story I read this morning, the cop claimed that the victim had tried to grab his taser. I suppose dropping it beside him was supposed to count as evidence, although I don't see how anyone could construe that as a reason to shoot someone in the back 8 times.

The cop was dumb.

Attempting to taser a cop is probably good enough reason for them to use lethal force. Forensics would have revealed the approximate distance of the shots and that they entered through the back. Maybe he was hoping it wouldn't go that far, and there would be no autopsy?

The guy deserves an extra sentence for obstructing justice. Pretty sickening to see someone in a trusted position falsefy evidence like that.

Canadian numbers are low too. Particularly when they involve aboriginal people.

This kind of thing used to happen far more back in the days before the proliferation of modern cameras and social media.

Whatever happens to that domestic terrorist, somebody should demolish his detachment Moncton style to set an example.

Archived