The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV - Coach of the Year

Pete M

Guest Dasein

WD should at least be in consideration.

Too many greats this year to say that WD is a shoo-in to be considered

AV deserves recognition for one of the great coaches in the league. It was a mistake letting him go, even though I am pleased with WD.

Even though AV is a great coach, we had to move on and letting him go was the right move

Sometimes a team needs a new voice and a leader, and that was the case with VAN

I don't think so.

AV will soon have a record that shows something about his coaching abilities. 3 Presidents Trophies and 0 Stanley Cups :sadno:

AV just does not know how to coach Stanley Cup playoff style defense. He is an excellent offensive coach but not the coach to get you the big SC !

It was painful going from AV to Torts, but now with WD we finally have a coach that truly understands what it takes to get it done in the playoffs. Even if we don't have the team to get it done this year I think everyone will soon realize that WD knows hockey. Playoff Hockey !

I said in 2011 and ill say it now AVs playoff hockey will never win a Stanley Cup, ever!

Not to mention that AV was solely responsible for starting the whole goalie controversy in the first place. That alone is worth a freakin trophy for being the biggest "Dumb Ass of the Year" award.

There are a lot of holes in AVs game come every April.

The only reason we went to the finals in 2011 was because our team was stacked beyond belief. Almost any other coach would have a SC ring on his hand with the team we had that year.

The only reason our team was stacked in 2011 was because AV turned the Sedins, Burr, Kesler, Bieksa and Edler into who they were, and because nobody had an answer for his system and our players that year

The reason we lost in 2011 is because we were decimated by injuries

And 2012 ??? There just are no excuses for that at all. Totally arrogantly unprepared. Most embarrassing moment in Canucks history.

You're just embarrassing

Oh and the whole injury thing is absolutely ridiculous. Did you watch the games in 2011. They were not injured. Kess ya ok. but that's it.

BOSTON DECIMATED US !!!

Now that's embarasssing

Hamhuis, Samuelsson and Malhotra weren't injured?

Did anyone actually watch those games . I suggest you refresh your memories on youtube or something. Entering game 1 of the SC finals we were not banged up aside from Kesler who still managed to play pretty decently. No excuse for the rest then is there?

Rome was suspended by the way

Hmm... It's a tough one between Hartley and AV. Both have done great things for their teams. Hartley turned a bottom feeder into a playoff team and AV turned a middle-of-the-pack club into the cream of the crop.

Guest Dasein

Forwards:

• Samuelsson could not play
  • Kesler torn labrum (regular people cannot walk when they have this injury)
  • Raymond fractured vertabrae
  • Malhotra's eye
  • Higgins fractured foot
  • Henrik Sedin's back problems

Defence:

• Hamhuis could not play
  • Edler fractured fingers (which is why he couldn't hold onto his goddamn stick in game 7)
  • Bieksa bruised MCL
  • Ehrhoff shoulder (limited his shot - what use is Ehrhoff if he can't take slap shots)
  • Rome suspended

When your entire 2nd line is decimated by injuries and Sami Salo is your healthiest defenceman entering game 7, you know your team has serious injury problems

Malhotras eye ......... Really ??? what does that have to do with anything ?

Samuelson and Kesler are the only ones relevant to game 1 of the 2011 SC finals.

And as said before if Kesler could perform like he did what excuse does anyone else have ?

Everything else listed you can thank the Boston Bruins for !

I know this is somewhat off topic... And 3/4 of a year too late, but I was talking with a co-worker who's family is friends with the Desjardins family.

He told me that WD was offered double the money to go to Pitts but turned it down because Pitts wouldn't allow him to bring in his own coaching staff. He took less money to come to Van... Sounds like coach of the year material in my books

I don't think so.

AV will soon have a record that shows something about his coaching abilities. 3 Presidents Trophies and 0 Stanley Cups :sadno:

AV just does not know how to coach Stanley Cup playoff style defense. He is an excellent offensive coach but not the coach to get you the big SC !

It was painful going from AV to Torts, but now with WD we finally have a coach that truly understands what it takes to get it done in the playoffs. Even if we don't have the team to get it done this year I think everyone will soon realize that WD knows hockey. Playoff Hockey !

I said in 2011 and ill say it now AVs playoff hockey will never win a Stanley Cup, ever!

To be fair, when he won the presidents trophy with us, we lost to the eventual cup winners and against probably one of the best defences in LA. (They proved they were for real last year by beating Chicago and winning the cup)

In 2011 given the circumstances AV did excellent in the finals. We all knew Sedins game was a terrible match for Boston given their numbers in the Nashville series but it was overlooked with Kesler's dominance. Given Hank and Kesler were seriously injured and we had our number one d man out along with a injury riddled d core, AV did an exceptional job. I find it surprising we even made it a 7 game series given our top two centres and entire d core were injured.

Give him credit he was a hell of a coach for us, and if LA doesn't make the playoffs and there is no other defensive stalwert, I'm picking the Rangers to win the cup.

That being said, my only criticism of AV was his stubbornness to change the top line of Sedin-Sedin-Burrows. With WD whenever one linemate isn't working out on the sedin line he just puts another good one like Vrbata, Burrows or Kassian. With AV he was so rigid, and given how kassian did so great with the sedins in his first full year with AV it was a no brainer to put him with the sedins when things weren't working out. But anyways thats the past, glad we've moved on but still, he was a hell of a coach, anyone who denies that is fooling themselves.

Malhotras eye ......... Really ??? what does that have to do with anything ?

Samuelson and Kesler are the only ones relevant to game 1 of the 2011 SC finals.

And as said before if Kesler could perform like he did what excuse does anyone else have ?

Everything else listed you can thank the Boston Bruins for !

We won the first two games first off. So in game three our top 3 centres were seriously injured, including Malhotra our best defensive centre of the season injured BEFORE the playoffs. Henrik's was probably the easiest to play though and Kesler the hardest. Malhotra was just ineffective and risked everything playing with a hurt eye.

Our second line 50+ pts winger was sidelined weeks earlier (Samuelsson) and he was a big part of the playoff success.

Defense had the biggest holes. Number one shut down d-man in Hamhuis out. Bieksa, Edler, and Ehrhoff were seriously banged up. Our depth dman Rome was out with a suspension.

So our top 3 centres had major injuries. Our 2nd line winger who scored at basically a first line rate was out. Our top defensive defenseman was out. Our other top 4 were nursing injuries that would normally sideline them for at least a few weeks in the regular season, if not a couple months, but they tried to play through it. Our most consistent depth defenseman (who stole the 6th spot from Ballard) was suspended.

So yeah. No injuries to key players. Just keep moving on.

Archived