The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are Sbisa and Dorsett signings a strategy heading into the playoffs?

Scorvat

Coulda' sworn I saw Luca S. skatin' with some pizazz last game, as if on a mission of delivery. Agree with those who feel the pricey signing is a way of instilling confidence in the kid. Just hope this is a way of ensuring his toolbox is now rock-solid.

To accomodate the cap, feeling one of Hamhuis, Bieksa or Miller must move in the summer. Wonder if JB had agreement from 1 of these 3 beforehand? If 2 of these three moved on, we might also retain Matthias. Problem is, these 2 D-men are great character-leaders...

It's much more simple than everyone is making it out to be….

JB got the contracts done before he left for Bern, Switzerland, mid next week, for the U-18s and they didn't want to negotiate DURING the playoffs so he had to do them in this timeframe or wait until we are eliminated, which could be June.

I didnt like the amount to dorsett at first.

But he is the perfect mentor for Virtanen just as he was/is for Horvat. I believe that is the #1 reason for the signing. And honestly he deserves it.

i agree, although his contract is pretty steep, the rest of his teammates have raved about how good he is in the locker room and how he has been such a great mentor to bo.

We have no idea who is actually mentoring Horvat. Unless Horvat or Dorsett said this explicitly. For all we know it could be... Yannick Weber playing the mentor role.

Everyone mentors the youth, Dorsett may not have a direct impact on Horvat but he has on Kassian.

Sbisa is still a bit of a work in progress but he does bring that physical edge that the team needs, especially for the play-offs. Dorsett too brings a lot of grit and energy. You need those physical, hard to play against type of guys on the team. I think Sbisa wil improve in time when he gets more used to the Canucks playing style. Apparently he had a bit of trouble adjusting to it when he came here because it was quite different from the one he played with the Ducks.

Everyone mentors the youth, Dorsett may not have a direct impact on Horvat but he has on Kassian.

Im almost 100% sure i heard Benning talk about how well he has helped mentor BO. Horvat and Dorsett were like Kennins Horvat is now. Dorsett was there to help BO transition his game. Once BO progressed enough WD started playing dorsett on the 3rd line most times, with Kennins taking his place on the Horvat line.

Dorsett is a smaller version of Virtanen. They are very similar type of players. Obviously Virtanen is more physical, faster, and has elite sniper potential. But all that extra skill aside, Virtanen and Dorsett are very similar players.

Expect Virtanen and Dorsett on same line in the preseason. And season if he makes the big club

Exactly. There may be one of more players that a young guy looks up to more often, but they take theiir examples form all of the veterans.

A guy like Bo or Ronny will look at the compete levels of guys like Hansen, Higgins, Burrows and Dorsett and wantr to work just as hard. They'll see the way that Hank prepares pre-game and in the off season and want to measure up and they'll see the way Juice, Kass and Dorsett have their teammates' back and understand that being part of a team is like being a part of a family.

Young guys who are successful in the NHL learn this through osmosis and they learn from everyone.

Archived