The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toxic fuel spill clean-up underway in Vancouver's English Bay

Heretic

Stay away from the water people!

The fuel spilled in Vancouver's English Bay Wednesday night is toxic bunker fuel and should not be touched, the City of Vancouver warns.

• english-bay-oil-spill.jpg
1 of 4

The spill is spreading as a grimy sheen on the water this morning, and it may push the oil to shore in Burrard Inlet, the city tweeted.

Clean-up efforts are underway by the Canadian Coast Guard and West Coast Marine Response Corporation, using long orange booms on the surface of the water, said Port Metro Vancouver.

The clean-up is being overseen by Transport Canada under the National Oil Spill Preparedness and Response Regime.

Oil spreading to shore

The oil has already reached the sandy beach at the foot of Denman and Davie streets in Vancouver's West End, reported CBC's Farrah Merali.

A video posted by a Twitter user this morning of the north side of English Bay, near the edge of Stanley Park, shows what appears to be an oily substance at the water's edge.

Grain ship possible source of fuel leak

The coast guard's environmental response team was dispatched to the spill yesterday.

The spill is surrounding a grain ship — named MARATHASSA — anchored in deep water off Vancouver, said John Parker-Jervis, a spokesman for Port Metro Vancouver.

"There was a fair amount of product — what appears to be fuel, oil for the ships, around a particular grain carrier," Parker-Jervis said. As a precaution a boom has been constructed around the ship in an attempt to contain the fuel, though the ship isn't yet confirmed as the source, he said.

Five vessels currently surround the ship.

The ship was in the process of loading grain. There is no evidence of fuel spilled between the grain terminal and where the ship is currently anchored, Parker-Jervis said.

There is no estimate on the amount of fuel that has been spilled.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/toxic-fuel-spill-clean-up-underway-in-vancouver-s-english-bay-1.3026227

CCJ7hSrUsAE3wlv.jpg

People wonder why BC opposes kinder morgan, well here's an example. Take away our best beach for some commercial gain? Hell no. A pipeline that would cross the entirety of BC, that could potential leak into any of our forests or eco-systems... just no.

So....your solution, instead of a pipeline, is to continue using trains and trucks to deliver the oil to ships in English bay?

How is that any safer?

The oil is going to get there one way or another.

So....your solution, instead of a pipeline, is to continue using trains and trucks to deliver the oil to ships in English bay?

How is that any safer?

This is OT, but a predicted line of discussion, anyway...

Pipeline burst = Very large spill.

Train derailment = Smaller spill.

Truck crash = Much, much smaller spill.

Pipeline is just there for volume and money. But isn't there already one to english bay anyway?

People wonder why BC opposes kinder morgan, well here's an example. Take away our best beach for some commercial gain? Hell no. A pipeline that would cross the entirety of BC, that could potential leak into any of our forests or eco-systems... just no.

This spill came from the fuel tank of a grain boat. Not supporting the pipeline, but this had nothing to do with transporting oil.

That does nothing to eliminate tankers, they're still a significant part of the process. Not to mention this has nothing to do with transporting oil since it is a grain carrier leaking the oil/fuel it uses to run the ship.

How is that any safer?

How about we get the hell off of oil so this doesn't even have to be a question anymore. That's the best idea.

How about we get the hell off of oil so this doesn't even have to be a question anymore. That's the best idea.

We will, if it ever runs out.

Though, we do make synthetic oil - why not synthetic fuel?

We will, if it ever runs out.

Except here's the thing. We're just starting to understand that oil is essentially a lubricant for the tectonic plates, and areas that are heavily fracked, go on have an exponentially growing rate of earthquakes in the surrounding area.

The deeper and deeper you really look into the oil industry, you'll begin to notice they're nothing more than mosquitoes sucking out the blood of the earth. On top of that they try hide the repercussions of their actions and use pseudo-science to fight the backlash.

This is why they're often referred to as rig pigs. It's because they're bending over for the paycheck from these oil oligarchies, and have almost no idea how harmful to the environment what they do for a living is. I went and worked for Sanjel up in Fort St. John right outta high school, which is an international company. I had a career that could have made me a fortune over my life, but I gave it up when I begun to understand what exactly I was doing.

This is why they're often referred to as rig pigs. It's because they're bending over for the paycheck from these oil oligarchies, and have almost no idea how harmful to the environment what they do for a living is. I went and worked for Sanjel up in Fort St. John right outta high school, which is an international company. I had a career that could have made me a fortune over my life, but I gave it up when I begun to understand what exactly I was doing.

And we are innocently consuming what they produce...

No. We're perpetually backed into the corner of continuing the use of it by ignorant and/or paid off politicians who also bend over to big oil's special interest money. Not to mention on the money spent spreading pseudo-scientific studies claiming it's not as harmful as it truly is. There's so much more money being spent to help continue the cannibalistic cycle, instead of being invested into the innovation of clean fuels and energy. 2015 didn't have to have cars still almost entirely built around the internal combustion engine. The technology is suppressed so the 'petrodollar' scam can still monopolize the global economic market. The billionaire oil kings (Who had their company handed down by their family over generations) wanna keep making their money until the Earth is sucked dry of oil.

It didn't have to still be this way, humanity has just not yet awoken enough to this reality. Which is why there aren't many people stepping up to fight the big oil lobby.

This argument bugs me. That unless you live 100% in line with what you say you're a hypocrite and your entire point can be just dismissed. No change would ever come if we didn't strive to do better.

Of course we all use oil, every single Canadian. That doesn't mean we can't want to reduce or stop our use, but our society is so intertwined with it, at this point we can't.

Archived