The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toxic fuel spill clean-up underway in Vancouver's English Bay

Heretic

Except here's the thing. We're just starting to understand that oil is essentially a lubricant for the tectonic plates, and areas that are heavily fracked, go on have an exponentially growing rate of earthquakes in the surrounding area.

The deeper and deeper you really look into the oil industry, you'll begin to notice they're nothing more than mosquitoes sucking out the blood of the earth. On top of that they try hide the repercussions of their actions and use pseudo-science to fight the backlash.

This is why they're often referred to as rig pigs. It's because they're bending over for the paycheck from these oil oligarchies, and have almost no idea how harmful to the environment what they do for a living is. I went and worked for Sanjel up in Fort St. John right outta high school, which is an international company. I had a career that could have made me a fortune over my life, but I gave it up when I begun to understand what exactly I was doing.

Wow....thanks for posting those vids...can't believe they used that chemical...Corexit....

No. We're perpetually backed into the corner of continuing the use of it by ignorant and/or paid off politicians who also bend over to big oil's special interest money. Not to mention on the money spent spreading pseudo-scientific studies claiming it's not as harmful as it truly is. There's so much more money being spent to help continue the cannibalistic cycle, instead of being invested into the innovation of clean fuels and energy. 2015 didn't have to have cars still almost entirely built around the internal combustion engine. The technology is suppressed so the 'petrodollar' scam can still monopolize the global economic market. The billionaire oil kings (Who had their company handed down by their family over generations) wanna keep making their money until the Earth is sucked dry of oil.

It didn't have to still be this way, humanity has just not yet awoken enough to this reality. Which is why there aren't many people stepping up to fight the big oil lobby.

It's a myth that corporations and governments don't invest into alternative energy sources.

The US government alone invests about 35 billion a year:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/03/news/economy/green-stimulus/

The government of Germany is expected to invest over 1 trillion by 2040:

Total investment over the last decade is estimated at 2 trillion:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-31/investors-spent-a-record-2-trillion-on-renewable-energy

http://www.wsj.com/articles/germanys-expensive-gamble-on-renewable-energy-1409106602

These aren't insignificant amounts of money. The hard truth of the matter is that we still need oil. It's simply not technologically possible at this point to convert 100% of our energy needs to renewable sources.

It's a myth that corporations and governments don't invest into alternative energy sources.

I never at any point said it doesn't happen. I'm saying more money is poured into the continuation of fracking efforts and oil hunts than on clean energy development. Their interests lie in the petrodollar staying the global standard because it's what their constituencies are paying a lot of money to lobby for. Big oil has the most money to throw around, and they don't want the petrodollar to go away. So in turn they lobby governments with what is essentially propaganda to get the green light to drill in areas it shouldn't be done because of environmental safety issues.

I can't remember which one, I think Exxon or Shell, spends 200 million dollars every day just looking for more places to drill. Imagine if that amount of money went into renewable energy and clean fuels every day.

The US government alone invests about 35 billion a year:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/03/news/economy/green-stimulus/

The government of Germany is expected to invest over 1 trillion by 2040:

Total investment over the last decade is estimated at 2 trillion:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-31/investors-spent-a-record-2-trillion-on-renewable-energy

http://www.wsj.com/articles/germanys-expensive-gamble-on-renewable-energy-1409106602

These aren't insignificant amounts of money. The hard truth of the matter is that we still need oil. It's simply not technologically possible at this point to convert 100% of our energy needs to renewable sources.

This another argument that bugs me. That if we can't immediately achieve 100% of our goal we shouldn't try.

Both so lazy.

This another argument that bugs me. That if we can't immediately achieve 100% of our goal we shouldn't try.

Both so lazy.

I don't think anybody said that. I was countering the argument that governments and corporations aren't putting money into alternative energy sources. We are putting lots in now and should continue to put more in.

The simple fact is that the other sources are simply not economical at this point, as we do not yet have the technology to replace fossil fuels.....well nuclear might be, but it carries its own risks.

So saying things like "big oil is stopping alternative energy sources" is just flat out wrong. Technology is stopping alternative energy sources. Until we have more efficient batteries, solar cells, etc.. we won't see a full pull away from fossil fuels. There's no secret energy alternative out there that is being repressed. The alternatives aren't very good at this point.

I can't remember which one, I think Exxon or Shell, spends 200 million dollars every day just looking for more places to drill. Imagine if that amount of money went into renewable energy and clean fuels every day.

That amount of money does get spent on clean energy and renewable fuels every day (read my article, which estimates 2 trillion spent over the last decade)...It still hasn't found the alternative. You can't solve all problems by throwing money at them.

Do you think if there was a more efficient battery, a company like energizer or Sony wouldn't be all over that?

I don't think anybody said that. I was countering the argument that governments and corporations aren't putting money into alternative energy sources. We are putting lots in now and should continue to put more in.

The simple fact is that the other sources are simply not economical at this point, as we do not yet have the technology to replace fossil fuels.....well nuclear might be, but it carries its own risks.

So saying things like "big oil is stopping alternative energy sources" is just flat out wrong. Technology is stopping alternative energy sources. Until we have more efficient batteries, solar cells, etc.. we won't see a full pull away from fossil fuels. There's no secret energy alternative out there that is being repressed. The alternatives aren't very good at this point.

Yeah, I don't buy it. It's 2015. The technology exists or a variation of or something closer, the market is just so heavily tilted towards oil is a totally uneven playing field. They aren't stopping alternative sources, but they exert so much influence that they have that effect.

That amount of money does get spent on clean energy and renewable fuels every day (read my article, which estimates 2 trillion spent over the last decade)...It still hasn't found the alternative. You can't solve all problems by throwing money at them.

Do you think if there was a more efficient battery, a company like energizer or Sony wouldn't be all over that?

200 million a day x 365 days a year x 10 years = $730,000,000,000 (730B)

Now think about how many oligarchies there are, each owning several international oil corporations, and how much more money is being spent. it's like 10 times the number above probably. And again, this is money spent on efforts to find more places to drill for oil. This does not include money spent lobbying governments, or money to fund pseudo-science reports.

I'm not arguing that there isn't money, progress, and innovation in other energy sources. I'm arguing that it's a dismal amount of money compared to it's competition. Sure oil companies would want to be "All over that", however unless their corporation is funding the research and getting the patents behind it, they won't be taking over the market. It looks to me, more or less like they're trying to suck the world dry as long as they can. To eventually amass enough money to buy up the corporations that develop the new technology. That way they win now and in the long run. It's hard to convince a market that makes billions of dollars daily to stop making profits and rather pour their money into funding research and development instead. So that they'll make profits in the future that aren't as detrimental to the environment, and in essence, humanity.

Edit: This is my 1000th post ::D

So....your solution, instead of a pipeline, is to continue using trains and trucks to deliver the oil to ships in English bay?

How is that any safer?

The oil is going to get there one way or another.

People wonder why BC opposes kinder morgan, well here's an example. Take away our best beach for some commercial gain? Hell no. A pipeline that would cross the entirety of BC, that could potential leak into any of our forests or eco-systems... just no.

These pipelines, ships, rail cars, facilities, and trucks have to be and go somewhere in order for us as a collective society to continue to enjoy the material world we live in. Let's not pretend we don't consume or use items made from these products or that we don't need to have it in our back yard. Again it has to be somewhere and it is needed.

Maybe not the reality people like to hear and of course nobody wants " our " beach to be affected right.

(1)These pipelines, ships, rail cars, facilities, and trucks have to be and go somewhere in order for us as a collective society to continue to enjoy the material world we live in. Let's not pretend we don't consume or use items made from these products or that we don't need to have it in our back yard. Again it has to be somewhere and it is needed.

(2)Maybe not the reality people like to hear and of course nobody wants " our " beach to be affected right.

(1) Cargo drones

(2) Your 'reality' is pretty short sighted

200 million a day x 365 days a year x 10 years = $730,000,000,000 (730B)

Now think about how many oligarchies there are, each owning several international oil corporations, and how much more money is being spent. it's like 10 times the number above probably. And again, this is money spent on efforts to find more places to drill for oil. This does not include money spent lobbying governments, or money to fund pseudo-science reports.

I'm not arguing that there isn't money, progress, and innovation in other energy sources. I'm arguing that it's a dismal amount of money compared to it's competition. Sure oil companies would want to be "All over that", however unless their corporation is funding the research and getting the patents behind it, they won't be taking over the market. It looks to me, more or less like they're trying to suck the world dry as long as they can. To eventually amass enough money to buy up the corporations that develop the new technology. That way they win now and in the long run. It's hard to convince a market that makes billions of dollars daily to stop making profits and rather pour their money into funding research and development instead. So that they'll make profits in the future that aren't as detrimental to the environment, and in essence, humanity.

Edit: This is my 1000th post : :D

I just don't think the problem is spending money on research. The problem starts at the consumer level. People need to look at alternatives that use less oil. The biggest is probably buying local. Still we have people buying products from China at retail stores, when many superior products are available locally.

I just don't think the problem is spending money on research. The problem starts at the consumer level. People need to look at alternatives that use less oil. The biggest is probably buying local. Still we have people buying products from China at retail stores, when many superior products are available locally.

You cannot consume what has not been researched and created.

What your are suggesting is a slow easing off the drug (oil) while we meanwhile create the cure (clean fuel/energy) I get that, that makes sense and I agree with it. However here is where pseudo science comes in. This is where mass media comes in since all the big oil oligarchies either own or sponsor major mainstream media channels. Oil is a curse that is protecting itself from being destroyed.

Yes on an individual level everyone should do their part to reduce their consumption. However that's not going to be enough. Now is where money is going to have to do the talking and either Corporations need to be forced to change their ways, so that behaviors which lead to environmental catastrophes are avoided. Or we need team humanity to collectively step up and pitch in towards the research that is going to make this addiction to oil obsolete. No not everyone can help in that matter, however we need bright minds with a pure heart to tackle these problems with science. As well as major upcoming technology companies to put their money towards doing the right thing, regardless of whether you'll make more money to other way. It's a tall task. It would require a global shift in consciousness.. a shift towards awareness of these events, for things to come together the way they need to, to overcome this obstacle in human progress. Thankfully the internet provides us with an invaluable communications technology to help us connect and spread the message along the way.

Webster... you're on a roll and had a great 1000th post man. I don't have much to add right now as I'm sick but just wanted to shout out to you that you're on point.

Thank you. I'm just very passionate about this issue since I've been educated from both the stand point of team oil and team humanity. I've done the deed myself before. Only for 4 months, but I understand how the corporation operates.

Also I found one last interesting video I think is relevant enough to share.

(1) Cargo drones

(2) Your 'reality' is pretty short sighted

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but the opposite is also true - your dream world is pretty far sighted.

Look at the push to "electric" cars in the USA (California) - yet guess where over 15% of their electricity comes from?

Burning of coal. So you cut down emissions of some cars, but increase emissions producing energy...

Edit: A journey of a thousand miles begins with 1 step...

You cannot consume what has not been researched and created.

What your are suggesting is a slow easing off the drug (oil) while we meanwhile create the cure (clean fuel/energy) I get that, that makes sense and I agree with it. However here is where pseudo science comes in. This is where mass media comes in since all the big oil oligarchies either own or sponsor major mainstream media channels. Oil is a curse that is protecting itself from being destroyed.

Yes on an individual level everyone should do their part to reduce their consumption. However that's not going to be enough. Now is where money is going to have to do the talking and either Corporations need to be forced to change their ways, so that behaviors which lead to environmental catastrophes are avoided. Or we need team humanity to collectively step up and pitch in towards the research that is going to make this addiction to oil obsolete. No not everyone can help in that matter, however we need bright minds with a pure heart to tackle these problems with science. As well as major upcoming technology companies to put their money towards doing the right thing, regardless of whether you'll make more money to other way. It's a tall task. It would require a global shift in consciousness.. a shift towards awareness of these events, for things to come together the way they need to, to overcome this obstacle in human progress. Thankfully the internet provides us with an invaluable communications technology to help us connect and spread the message along the way.

Hey, this is a good post, can't disagree, but I do take issue with some of the stuff you've said earlier in the thread, about those who work in the oil industry. I met some kids in university that were putting themselves through, thanks to the paycheques from the work up there. Good people, smart, just needed the money for further education. Maybe some of them could turn out to be these innovators we are looking for. You've said that you have worked up there yourself, is that why you are secure with labeling those people like that?

About the "addiction" to oil, don't you think you're viewpoint is just a bit idealistic? Can you see the irony of using the internet and communications technology to do what you suggest? (hint: petrochemicals).

I think we need to find a way to reduce our consumption of gasoline, I think it's only a matter of time until this becomes affordable and profitable, no matter what we think of the intentions oil corporations, because this world will just run out of oil when the majority of people in India and China become wealthy enough to buy automobiles.

The petrochemical industry is another animal, it is very efficient in it's use of oil (mostly natural gas in N.A.), and the products coming from it are embedded in our way of life. We're using them right now. Fortunately it's a small percentage of oil going into that industry, compared to gasoline. That's why I think it's more realistic to zero in on gasoline, rather than the entire oil industry. It's all connected to our consumption of gasoline, but it won't work unless the solution is affordable. There aren't too many people out there that aren't looking to save money. Filling up a truck is expensive, could be 100 dollars a week on that alone, depending on how one makes a living. Not everyone has enough support to choose some kind of minimalistic lifestyle, you know.

Archived