The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shutting down Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler

*Buzzsaw*

How to shut down Calgary's big line?  

275 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wait till you guys hear their silly commentators and arena guys. Calgary goal scored by ----- woooooo hooooooo with some stupid red light flashing on the screen.

If the Canucks' are down by game 4 in the series, you guys will be annoyed and realize how annoying this team and Flame fan-base really is.

I'm not getting what you are saying, isn't every opposing team and their fans annoying?

That's where people underestimate the Flames. It's not just their top line, they do have depth.

They have 7 players other than their top line that are double digits in goals. And two D-men with 40 and alomst 60 points in Brodie and Wideman.

They're getting it done as a team, not just one line. They've been beating good teams all season for a reason. It's gonna be a tough match up.

Agreed. I think this could be an epic 7-game series. As much as I'd rather it go 4 games, in our favour. lol.

Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata should be our answer to those guys. They need to be contained. Super talented.

Bigger problem is Calgary's overall speed. They can skate. That might give us fits. They also forecheck like crazy.

Still this should be a series we should close out. We have way more experience. I'll make a bold prediction and say Canucks in 5.

Should of had LA, they are ready for the picking. The young Flames will be hard to beat, and you guys will know just how annoying their fan base really is. Remember this one thing, if we lose to the Flames you will regret not playing LA Kings. It seems many of you have forgot 2004, heck I was there and I can't ever forget how annoying the Flames fan base really is.

This is the reason I didn't want to play them because of their annoying fan base. Just hope we don't lose.

Say annoying fan base one more time?

Guest Dasein

Came in expecting a discussion on the defensive pairing that will face that line

I would say Hamhuis - Tanev for the reason that Edler is too big to contain the little guys (sounds funny I know), but Gaudreau and Hudler are too small and shifty - these two know how to actually work their size to their advantage

I think Hamhuis is the only mobile-enough defenceman that can contain Gaudreau and since we don't need a physically imposing defender against this line (small other than Monahan and he isn't someone who overpowers others), Tanev would do well against them

Save Edler's pairing with Weber and Sbisa's with Bieksa for the bigger bodies in Calgary's lineup

The question is, how do they shut down the Sedins? I agree, top lines go head to head. I like that matchup.

On a side note... since we're going to see a lot of Gaudreau... can anyone (Francophones?) explain why the announcers say 'Goo-drow' instead of 'Goh-drow'? I remember from my old French courses that 'au' is pronounced 'oh'. It's 'ou' that should be pronounced 'oo'.

It's a small thing but I think it's important to get the names right. I mean, it would be like saying 'Gene Bellivoo' for Jean Beliveau.

Came in expecting a discussion on the defensive pairing that will face that line

I would say Hamhuis - Tanev for the reason that Edler is too big to contain the little guys (sounds funny I know), but Gaudreau and Hudler are too small and shifty - these two know how to actually work their size to their advantage

I think Hamhuis is the only mobile-enough defenceman that can contain Gaudreau and since we don't need a physically imposing defender against this line (small other than Monahan and he isn't someone who overpowers others), Tanev would do well against them

Save Edler's pairing with Weber and Sbisa's with Bieksa for the bigger bodies in Calgary's lineup

You don't think Edler will be able to manhandle them?

It seems to me, a couple good hits and Johnny Hockey might go quiet.

Also wonder about breaking up the Edler/Tanev magic... they have a special kind of syncronicity happening which it would be difficult to lose.

Sedin line. Best on best. Always go best on best... Especially when you have two elite generational talents like the twins.

Also Luca the freight train rocking em into the middle of next week would help too!

I think having Horvat and Hansen out there might be a good idea. #6 overall vs #9 overall in the 2013 draft. I want to see Horvat completely shutdown Monahan. This might become a great rivalry for years to come.

I would like to reserve the Sedins to pick on weaker line for scoring.

Whoever is matched up must be able to keep up with the speed that this Calgary top line has.

-> Kenins-Horvat-Hansen should be the counter matchup.

-> Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata could work,

and it is a great second option because it will help keep the Horvat line to reasonable minutes.

I agree with this. Monahan line has speed and skill. We need a player that can play the heavy game to slow them and wear them down. We need Horvat to help the our defence to cause turnovers when Monahan line is deep in our zone, supported by Hansen and Kenins who can go on counter attacks with speed.

Hmmm iono I guess we'll see. But Horvat has been pretty sub par along with his linemates the past 10 or so games. Tonight was one of the few nights the got on the score sheet and weren't pinned in their own end for significant periods.

They haven't dominated like they did in that stretch but they have not been subpar.

Subpar play would be like Mike Richards or Nick Shore line of Los Angeles Kengs.

Nah dude, you will see, you will see im done my mini rant, moving along because I remember 2004 vividly.

Losing to a rival is always painful. Whoever wins has bragging rights. If you were on the other side of the coin you would find the Canucks fan base annoying too.

Archived