The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shutting down Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler

*Buzzsaw*

How to shut down Calgary's big line?  

275 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Flames have a very potent line in Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler, total of 86 goals from this one line alone.

If anything Flames offence is weighted heavily on this line, if it can be shut down, they will not do well.

The question is, who does WD match up against these guys?

Do we go strength to strength, and match the Sedins against them?

Or does the coach go with a more defensive matchup?

Personally I am thinking the Bonino line could be the best choice... all of Higgins/Bonino/Vrbata are excellent defensively and in the backcheck.

That would leave the Sedins matched up against one of the secondary Calgary lines.

Comments?

Nope. Horvat's line.

calgary wouldn't have been in the position to clinch if we hadn't taken down LA 2 times in a row leading up to their game and completely destroyed their confidence just 2 games prior. We put the knife in their heart, calgary merely twisted.

I think Edmonton deserves some credit.

hit them often and hit them hard. That Gaudreu guy is friggin 5'7-5'6?! make him think twice about dangling in the neutral zone and entering our zone...

I don't disagree...but someone will have to catch him first ;) and I doubt one hit will do it. He'll need to be hit good, at least 2-3 times a game, for it to start making a difference in the later games. He also shouldn't be alone in that regard. They've got a few smaller forwards and our larger/physical forwards need to punish their D as well. Dorsett, Horvat, Kenins, Matthias (and hopefully Kassian) will need to lay the body on their D early and often.

Otherwise, I'd probably go with the Bonino/Vrbata line for the lion's share, particularly in our end. Then probably the Horvat line as the secondary unit, primarily on the offensive zone. The other two lines can get what's left.

Edler/Tanev will likely get most of the D play with Hamhuis/Weber (or Bieksa) as the secondary pair.

:rolleyes:

non-hockey-market 2nd worst team on the 2nd last game of the season, 3 PPG's mean nothing to Calgary - the least penalized team by a long shot. Calgary hasn't taken a penalty in over 4 games. There couldn't be a less important game. what are you even talking about.

Meanwhile Calgary just beat LA in regulation to clinch.

but totally, Calgary is mad impressed we beat up on Arizona... :picard:

By our demons, I meant our under-achieving against non playoff teams. Us not getting up for games that we should win, which has been a bit of a bane for is this season.

Also, I feel like it was very important. Do you want them to have home ice advantage against us? While our away record is stellar, the fans in Calgary are no joke, and can swing momentum for their team.

Appreciate the sarcasm though, you always have such productive posts.

During the Young Stars tourney Gaudreau got hit hard by Corrado.

He said that that hit caused him to back down from certain plays because he was afraid to get hit again

Now imagine Edler, who becomes a physical beast in the playoffs, coming at Gaudreau.

Hit them and hit them hard.

Calgary's shutdown line of Bouma - Backlund - Jones has 40+ goals this season.

Ferland has stepped in while Bouma has been injured and doesn't look out of place.

This will be an entertaining series to watch.

If you consider our shutdown line to be Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata now, then they have 58 goals. Ferland is what he is, but he has 1 goal this season.

Still, there has to be a reason why Calgary with their crappy underlying numbers has survived this long. I'd like to see reality coming crashing down on them now, but I don't think this series will be anything less than 7 games for multiple reasons.

During the Young Stars tourney Gaudreau got hit hard by Corrado.

He said that that hit caused him to back down from certain plays because he was afraid to get hit again

Now imagine Edler, who becomes a physical beast in the playoffs, coming at Gaudreau.

Hit them and hit them hard.

I don't think Edler can catch Gaudreau...but Kenins probably can...

Hudler is ranked 12th in Goals, 15th in Assists, 8th in Points, and 12th in S%.

Monahan is ranked 13th in Goals, 4th in GWG, and 3rd in OTG.

Gaudreau is arguably the top rookie this season.

The Canucks will have to play them hard and fast as a 5 man unit.

I don't think Edler can catch Gaudreau...but Kenins probably can...

edler merely needs to get the angle right. it's not like he's chasing him down. that being said, edler is a decent skater in his own right. last game he caught up and broke up a play after being the 4th man back in the zone when the puck was turned over.

Archived