The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where's Wellwood?

drummer4now

i always liked Wellwood. not sure why, but i think it was that i once read he was a big reader and seinfeld fan. that, combined with the fact that everyone gave him so much flack all the time, made me like him

i always wondered if him wearing the number 42 was a Douglas Adams reference or not.

i always liked Wellwood. not sure why, but i think it was that i once read he was a big reader and seinfeld fan. that, combined with the fact that everyone gave him so much flack all the time, made me like him

i always wondered if him wearing the number 42 was a Douglas Adams reference or not.

The question to life, the universe and everything: Who is the third line centre that will lead us to cup glory?

Then again.... maybe not.

Maybe the reason for the sneers and jesting is we're hockey fans. Most of us would kill to have his level of skill. For whatever reason he lost the passion for the game. The guy clearly wasn't a fan of keeping himself into shape. Then you see players like Rick Rypien, that worked his tail off and would never have that kind of talent. You wish they'd have swapped bodies so Rick would have had elite talent to go with his work ethic.

And maybe just a bit of jealousy, but tinged with sadness that a player that had all the tools, lacked the motivation. I hope he finds his passion and is happy in life. He got to play at a level most of us would only dream of.

You guys who are attempting to degrade Wellwood are pathetic. This is a guy who played in the best hockey league in the world and although his NHL career may have ended before he would of liked, he follows a long line of sports players who get jobs after calling it quits.

I would like to see some of you earn what he made in 6 years than most of you will in your life. Have some respect for another human, jeez. Good on ya Welly, all the best!

Your logic is just as bad as the people who sneered him...

Darren Sharper, Aaron Hernandez, Kanye West!!! has made more money then ya'll!!! So lay off them!!

You guys who are attempting to degrade Wellwood are pathetic. This is a guy who played in the best hockey league in the world and although his NHL career may have ended before he would of liked, he follows a long line of sports players who get jobs after calling it quits.

I would like to see some of you earn what he made in 6 years than most of you will in your life. Have some respect for another human, jeez. Good on ya Welly, all the best!

Ditto.

Kyle Wellwood retired from hockey at age 30, not because of injuries, but because his "heart is no longer in the game." He 'retired', ie. quit the game, just two years after performing a career-high season in Winnipeg, for which they rewarded him with a 1yr, 1.6mil contract, which he gladly took before vanishing on the ice, beginning his exit procedure from hockey.

This is why he deserves mocking imho.

Anyone Canadian growing up dreaming of NHL hockey with only a percentage of Wellwood's skill sees this lack of dedication to their beloved game and shakes their head. What a pathetic waste and it is a shame that his hands weren't given to a player with a freakin' pulse instead.

I always find it interesting and a bit strange to view players out of their hockey element and as average Joes once they've moved on (I can tell you that I love Hockey Wives mostly for Ray Whitney and his wife, Brijet, and the fact that they seem relatively "normal" and unfazed by the whole deal...to see how he's handling retirement/golf). Sure, they're just regular people but we lose sight of that at times. I like to be reminded and see that in action.

I know someone who's friends with a former Canuck through the real estate world and it was strange to me when I first saw him in there, interacting/commenting with the rest of us. The fangirl in me went wait, wut, who? I also feel it's only "proper" to approach things as just that...as "normal/regular" people and not the hockey "stars" in a mob/hound them way. Sure, to slide it in to casual conversation that you were a fan/whatever, but to do a squeal show? I guess because I'm just too old for that and find it extremely irritating. Mind you, in Burr's after hockey life I'd still probably fall down and die on the spot because, well, I am the founding member of the Church of Burrology.

Loved Wellwood when he was here and wish him all the best. Cool to see an update...

Used to really like Wellwood.

You have to be pretty damn clever player to be his size and be able to make it to the finals.

Yeah he was the whipping boy and the joke punchline, but he deserves a bit of respect too.

He was a shootout sniper and was as tough as nails for taking the beat downs that he did.

Respect.

Not to mention, even though he could retire, he's still finding something worthwhile to do.

I have to say, it's a weird thing to see his LinkIn.

Archived