The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying tickets from scalpers (Need Advice)

UMB

Hey guys,

My friend and I are interested in buying tickets from scalpers for tonights game. Does anyone here have any advice with where to find them, how much they usually want, and what your experiences have been with scalpers in the past?

Help would be very much appreciated!

Canucks brass needs to step in and affect the way scalpers can scoop up tickets. It's despicable. Protect your real fans from money-makers who care more about profit than our Canucks. If scalping is illegal, then the police should be outside the arena arresting these scumbags. They congregate outside of the arena and yellout "tickets, get your tickets". They can't be that hard to find!!!

Only bought scalped tickets one time for a game against LA in the 2010 playoffs, but that one time was an okay experience. The guy agreed on 160 per ticket then at the last second asked for 180, so stand your ground on the haggling side of things.

My buddy and I walked down to seats in the fifth row behind the kings net. Vancouver potted a bunch that game (Samuelson had 2, maybe 3) and most were right in front of us. It was beautiful.

Geeze guys, way to help out someone asking a genuine question.

Always try to knock something off the price, scalpers are pushing for their interests, you might as well protect yours.

Also, if you don't mind missing the first bit of the game ticket prices plummet once the game starts and guys are just trying to get rid of their tickets. There is a risk of no tickets left to buy this way though...

Your mom is letting you and a friend go downtown alone ?

Highly doubt that is happening..

I'm not 12 anymore dude. I think you're forgetting that.

Also, does anyone know what prices are like for scalped tickets?

Canucks brass needs to step in and affect the way scalpers can scoop up tickets. It's despicable. Protect your real fans from money-makers who care more about profit than our Canucks. If scalping is illegal, then the police should be outside the arena arresting these scumbags. They congregate outside of the arena and yellout "tickets, get your tickets". They can't be that hard to find!!!

There really is no way around it... No professional team has been able to stop it and neither have any artists or bands or comedians etc...

Scalping isn't illegal. The Canucks can ask scalpers not to scalp on their property that's about it.

Never mind that the Canucks are affiliated with NHL ticket exchange. Where STH can scalp tickets straight from their canuck account.

Serious advice here.

Ask around who has the cheapest prices then give them cash before you actually see the tickets. Good scalpers will usually not have the actual tickets on them but instead have them close by like in their car. So give them your money for the tickets, sight unseen and wait for them to come back to where you are standing. It's the best way to get the best deal.

And good scalpers can all be trusted, so don't worry about them not coming back with your tickets.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the game.

I'm not 12 anymore dude. I think you're forgetting that.

Also, does anyone know what prices are like for scalped tickets?

As I said in my first post, I paid 160 for a game in the first round of the 2010 playoffs. I'd expect something similar. The seats I paid for were pretty garbage tho.

Serious advice here.

Ask around who has the cheapest prices then give them cash before you actually see the tickets. Good scalpers will usually not have the actual tickets on them but instead have them close by like in their car. So give them your money for the tickets, sight unseen and wait for them to come back to where you are standing. It's the best way to get the best deal.

And good scalpers can all be trusted, so don't worry about them not coming back with your tickets.

This guy knows what he's talking about

Scalping isn't illegal. The Canucks can ask scalpers not to scalp on their property that's about it.

Never mind that the Canucks are affiliated with NHL ticket exchange. Where STH can scalp tickets straight from their canuck account.

That's too bad. I've been fortunate enough that I've never had to resort to scalpers, I just don't like the idea of them. Not everyone can wait online to scoop up tickets.

Serious advice here.

Don't be a sucker!! Don't give money for potentially non-existant tickets. Same time, Same time!!!

So do the "good" scalpers have a sign or a union card to differentiate them from crooks?

Yes, I recognize sarcasm; Do you?

Actually scalping in Alberta is illegal. It isnt in BC.

It isn't .

Just say you have $80 per ticket. That's all, make sure you have it together (aside from your other money's) remember this is only a regular season game. Should go for cost. Never have trouble getting them for cost in the regular season.

Drive a hard bargain, there won't be many people buying for tonight, most people are saving their money for the playoffs.

In the end you have the power $

It helps if you aren't dressed in a jersey looking like your only plan is to go to that game at that perticular night.

Listen to your surroundings, assess the situation and stand firm. If they say "ya right, good luck" tell them you'll be here when they want your $160 chances are they'll come back to you. This is a throw away game for them.

Also, don't listen to the people who say wait till after the game starts, it's Gino's game! We need every seat filled for him.

P.S. don't go over $100 not worth it. That's when they win and it contributes to the problem. Remember always be respectful.

Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Personally, I want to see scalpers stuck with tickets and losing ground so that they eventually back away. It's SO sleazy to make a buck this way...it drives prices up and I wish the organization would put limits on purchases or do something to weed out scalpers.

The lowest of the low? When my son was little he was part of the Save On More kids club...they had tickets for sale (you had to redeem points). It was FOR kids. A scalper in front of me was on the phone to another/partner who was clearly at a different Save On location...they were discussing which (premium) games they were getting and could get the most $$ for. Scooped up a whole bunch of tickets. Hate them.

Buyer beware, that's the message. You may get burned...just look what happened to people buying Maroon 5 tickets.

Anyhow, I'm closing this as the discussion of buying/selling tickets is not permitted and I WILL be part of the solution by not supporting scalpers. I'd hate you to buy fake tickets and that's a very real risk in doing it this way, so I'd hate you to be encouraged to do so. Another mod may see otherwise and reopen it (as I'm on the fence here) but, for now, I feel this is the right decision.

Good luck?

Archived