The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your excuse for eating meat?

GLASSJAW

Been Vegeterian since 2002, never going back. All your excuses of eating meat is garbage, and unjustified, just finding reasons to eat meat. That's fine.

All,of you will regret eating meat. Trust me.

did you meet a trap too? it's okay if you're traumatized about the experience. i've accepted the fact that i've ate meat a few times in my life

Look I'm willing to stop eating meat, but can you give me some decent meals that can give me decent amount of protein. I need about 100-190 grams of protein a day. I'm starting to feel bad when I eat meat, for example, yesterday I had fried chicken and didn't even enjoy it as much. If you can give me some decent meals that are good and full of protein that would be good because I also want to be vegeterian but I need my protein.

Hemp protein, hemp hearts, eggs, legumes, edamame, the occasional soy dish, tempeh, seitan, nuts

I have to raise a question, growing up on a farm I understand that many of the current cattle have been selectively breed and are basically domesticated. If we were to stop eating cattle, when then happens to the cattle? Do you think they'd all just move on out to the mountains and survive on their own. The Belgium Blue and some types of Dairy cows would then become extinct as they need assistance when calving.

I can't speak for the big feedlots but with most small ranchers who have less than 200 head, they treat these animals as if they are they own pets. It's not like they live a bad life. In fact a lot of the ranchers have names for their cattle and have a relationship with them to the point where they understand the traits of certain cows. If they are sick, they are cared for, during calving season (in the middle of winter) were out in the field checking every hour to make sure they are ok. They are protected from predators and giving large grasslands for an abundance of food, then at the end of their lives they are harvested and taken as humanly as possible.

As yes growing up in a small community in alberta I also fish and hunt. Nothing is better than eating a fresh fish I caught less than an hour earlier. And honestly with hunting, it plays a important part of wildlife conservation. Tags are given out each year to help maintain animal life. For example white tail deer breed like crazy and our are voracious eaters, and given the chance, an overpopulation of them could strip a forest bare and this would have negative affect on Mule deer, rabbits and other types of animal. Increase birth rate also creates increase death rate, which feeds more food for predator animals, like coyotes, wolves and cougars. Once the predator population expands too much they start to move into towns and feed on human garbage and small pets like cats and dogs. Hunting not only allows people to eat the cleanest cuts of meat, it also plays an important role at maintaining control in our small environment where humans and animals have to try co exists.

I'd eat chicken again with the knowledge that the chicken I'm eating hadn't been tortured it's entire life and had these conditions of living.

Can't do pork. Too smart of an animal, I'd feel terrible.

Where can I find humanely, free run chicken?

I have a rampant blood thirst that can only be quenched by devouring the flesh of poor innocent animals.

Same. You can't stop it, either.

EDIT: What is your excuse for NOT eating meat?

Look I'm willing to stop eating meat, but can you give me some decent meals that can give me decent amount of protein. I need about 100-190 grams of protein a day. I'm starting to feel bad when I eat meat, for example, yesterday I had fried chicken and didn't even enjoy it as much. If you can give me some decent meals that are good and full of protein that would be good because I also want to be vegeterian but I need my protein.

Vega products are really good as well if you're on the go and just need something quick. A good way of getting those B vitamins as well

• 3 weeks later...

Texas Cattle Rancher Goes Vegan

by Ari Solomon - May 22, 2015
Renee and Tommy Sonnen used to operate Sonnen Ranch in the heart of Texas. For four generations, the Sonnen family sold cattle to be slaughtered for meat. But they’ve had a change of heart.
Renee recently became vegan and with that she decided she could no longer stand by and watch as their animals were shipped off in trucks to the slaughterhouse. So she and her husband turned Sonnen Ranch into Rowdy Girl Sanctuary, a place where rescued farmed animals can live out their lives in peace.
With the help of some crowdfunding, the new haven is thriving with 30 cattle, some rescue chickens, and even a resident pig.
Renee remarked of the overwhelming support: “Vegans are coming out of the woodwork, in Houston, Galveston, and beyond.”
ABC News recently interviewed the couple. Watch here:

Archived