The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your excuse for eating meat?

GLASSJAW

have to laugh at how you ask everyone why they still eat it. They give you their VALID ANSWERS, and you reply with "well that's obvious" and proceed to attempt to belittle their intelligence just because their answer doesn't please you.

That said, I do the same thing when I argue with people who drink alcohol or smoke (the belittling their intellect... obviously not the "that's obvious" part)). So, the hypocritical part of me sees the irony in mocking you for doing it.

My question being what it was ("what is your excuse for eating meat knowing that the meat industry is damaging to the environment and knowing that animals suffer for that meal") is not at all sufficiently answered by saying "because it tastes good" -- and anyone who thinks otherwise is probably a moron. It is absolutely no surprise to me that the regular peanuts of this forum couldn't muster anything more, while the better posters here offered up complete thoughts that actually address the problems.

Anyway, the only way that response would be sufficient would if the question was "why do you eat meat?" and it simply ended there. I make it very clear throughout the rest of my post that we MUST know what is happening to the environment and we MUST know that animals suffer for food, so IN KNOWING THAT, how do you justify eating the meal? "because it tastes good" does not at all address the complexity of the issue. Not even close. As if moral transgressions are justified or excused based on the enjoyment the transgressor gets out of transgressing? give me a break. and if you don't think it's a moral transgression, why not? "because it tastes good" is an idiot's way out, pure and simple.

Humans have been eating meat for hundreds of thousands of years. We are omnivores and meat is part of our diet. Sure, I agree the mistreatment of livestock is immoral and wrong, but unfortunately that is the cost of civilization. Corporations sacrifice our health for money efficient ways to produce food and cut costs. In this day and age there is SOOO much corruption. Look up the production of HFCS and Fructose on youtube, (Sugar: The Bitter Truth). Livestock aren't the only ones being mistreated. To conclude, meat contains many nutrients that are difficult to obtain from other sources, and quite frankly, I am allowed to chose what I want to eat and what i don't want to eat.

Sorry I might be all over the board there, its finals week.

Nobody is saying you aren't allowed to choose what to eat. I am saying to you, how, or why, do you overlook the fact that things suffer for something that is completely unnecessary? Of course humans ate meat for ages (god, who cares? what a non-point). The farming trends that exist today--the trends that harm the environment, make sentient beings suffer by the millions--are all relatively new. Assuming you support it, I am asking why?

What's your excuse for pushing your issues onto others to make them feel bad about their lifestyle choices?

I am a vegetarian myself but never would I question the choices others make. You have made your choice not to eat meat and that's great for you but why make those that do eat meat feel bad for doing it. Perhaps a better way of going about it would to be posting about better choices for eating meat such as farm fresh, local butchers, farmers markets, etc.

Can't you be happy that you live a hopefully healthy and happy life????

I think you either misread my post or simply do not get it. What's wrong with making people feel bad for eating Costco or Walmart meat? Seriously?

Tell me what is wrong with someone being informed about the ghastly history of their food? Can you give me one legitimate reason as to why I cannot talk about animal torture? Upsetting someone's day is not a good reason. And saying "hey, instead of going to Costco you should shop here" is absolutely no different -- it's just a gentle form of shaming. I'm not here to walk someone through the alternatives. I linked to many articles who discuss many authors who have discussed both sides of the ethical problem. Michael Pollan eats meat. I even linked to an article chosen by the New York Times to reflect the ethical choice of a pro-meat eater.

My post is not about telling anyone how to live, it's asking some people how they come to the conclusions that they arrive at. And if they are part of the farming problem, I am curious how, or why, do they CHOOSE to function as they do,

Seems like a fairly honest question(s) that IMO didn't deserve nits jumping in to act like douchebags. Too many children on the site rn, the ups and downs of making the playoffs I guess.

I miss Luci :(.

Some times people deserved to be knocked off their high horse.

This was a self righteous post. Which is why it got this response.

8 replies in 4 minutes. Statistics don't lie.

I think you either misread my post or simply do not get it. What's wrong with making people feel bad for eating Costco or Walmart meat? Seriously?

Tell me what is wrong with someone being informed about the ghastly history of their food? Can you give me one legitimate reason as to why I cannot talk about animal torture? Upsetting someone's day is not a good reason. And saying "hey, instead of going to Costco you should shop here" is absolutely no different -- it's just a gentle form of shaming. I'm not here to walk someone through the alternatives. I linked to many articles who discuss many authors who have discussed both sides of the ethical problem. Michael Pollan eats meat. I even linked to an article chosen by the New York Times to reflect the ethical choice of a pro-meat eater.

My post is not about telling anyone how to live, it's asking some people how they come to the conclusions that they arrive at. And if they are part of the farming problem, I am curious how, or why, do they CHOOSE to function as they do,

My question being what it was ("what is your excuse for eating meat knowing that the meat industry is damaging to the environment and knowing that animals suffer for that meal") is not at all sufficiently answered by saying "because it tastes good" -- and anyone who thinks otherwise is probably a moron. It is absolutely no surprise to me that the regular peanuts of this forum couldn't muster anything more, while the better posters here offered up complete thoughts that actually address the problems.

Anyway, the only way that response would be sufficient would if the question was "why do you eat meat?" and it simply ended there. I make it very clear throughout the rest of my post that we MUST know what is happening to the environment and we MUST know that animals suffer for food, so IN KNOWING THAT, how do you justify eating the meal? "because it tastes good" does not at all address the complexity of the issue. Not even close. As if moral transgressions are justified or excused based on the enjoyment the transgressor gets out of transgressing? give me a break. and if you don't think it's a moral transgression, why not? "because it tastes good" is an idiot's way out, pure and simple.

Nobody is saying you aren't allowed to choose what to eat. I am saying to you, how, or why, do you overlook the fact that things suffer for something that is completely unnecessary? Of course humans ate meat for ages (god, who cares? what a non-point). The farming trends that exist today--the trends that harm the environment, make sentient beings suffer by the millions--are all relatively new. Assuming you support it, I am asking why?

What's your excuse for doing a lot of the things you do? Do you drive? If not do you ride on anything with tires? Do you wear clothes? do you buy anything made of plastic, or gold, or tin, or any other precious metal? Do you buy anything made out of any metal for that matter? Have you taken any sort of medication? Do you use electronics? What's your excuse for all that? I could go on and on, but there are hundreds things that you consume besides meat are just as destructive to the environment, are harmful to animals, and employ slave labour. If you want to have a clear mind and feel morally superior, move yourself into the remote bush and become a hunter/gatherer and use only what you need for survival.

What's your excuse for doing a lot of the things you do? Do you drive? If not do you ride on anything with tires? Do you wear clothes? do you buy anything made of plastic, or gold, or tin, or any other precious metal? Do you buy anything made out of any metal for that matter? Have you taken any sort of medication? Do you use electronics? What's your excuse for all that? I could go on and on, but there are hundreds things that you consume besides meat are just as destructive to the environment, are harmful to animals, and employ slave labour. If you want to have a clear mind and feel morally superior, move yourself into the remote bush and become a hunter/gatherer and use only what you need for survival.

make a thread about it and i'll gladly respond

now what's your excuse for eating meat?

Asking us to provide an "excuse" is implicitly implying that there's something wrong with it.

So no, I'm not going to dignify that type of sensationalist question with a response about why I eat meat. If you want to ask me "Why do you eat meat?" that's a different question entirely.

So that's why you're getting some the negative or silly replies.

Also, red&white made a perfectly valid post about why a thread like this is hypocritical holier-than-thou nonsense.

I don't eat meat, full vegan. I think my point follows the subject, why not respond here?

i do not think your post follows the subject at all -- you're taking a 'consumer consciousness' idea to an extreme that would lead someone to exist outside of the whole of western civilization. saying "why buy meat from walmart?" is not at all the same thing as "why not never wear clothes and go live in a tree?" -- nor does one question anticipate the next

owning clothes is essential to functioning in the modern world. buying meat from walmart is not. what is your point that i'm missing?

there is. read the post and you'll see.

Well, we disagree on the premise, and many others would seem to disagree with you as well. Frankly, I think you're just baiting with a post like this, rather than seeking any real dialogue. You're saying "Here's why you're wrong, now explain yourself to me."

Sorry bud, don't owe you anything on this one. I did my best to be helpful and suggest an approach that might garner you some more thoughtful responses, but if that's not what you're looking for, then you deserve all the nonsense replies that you've gotten so far, and all the rest that are sure to come.

I am disgusting and vile?

Honestly, I can't justify it. I have been staked out on animal rescues for 7 of the past 8 days. I volunteer for 2 different shelters and am so vocal about animal activism. I am currently fighting to have a circus elephant in dire need of rescue released from performing and vote daily for a Puppy Mill rescue operation that gets donations based on it. And I like steak once in awhile.

Growing up in a household where it wasn't given a thought, I was raised to eat meat but have slowly shifted away from it. If I don't have anyone here to cook for, I go meatless (tonight it was beans on toast and a caesar salad). I don't buy meat when I'm on my own...when people are here, I do.

But I also can't look at images or watch "those" videos. I'm a stick my head in the sand'er. And I am ashamed to say so, but am only/still working toward "meatless". Not good enough, I know. Here I am, lobbying for rabbit meat to be taken out of stores and I go buy cows and chickens. Hypocrite, that's why.

To be perfectly honest, I have been uninformed and oblivious in my lifetime...ignorant, really...I liked it better then. I really only recently became aware of "how" meat gets to our plate and always just trusted that it was via the guy up the road from me, who has "cows" out in the pasture that eventually meet their horrible fate. In becoming more aware, it's tougher to swallow for sure.

Anyhow, for the record, these are the babies I rescued this week (I got called out for one baby....over the course of the week I found 7). Shameless rabbit plug. How could you eat these guys? And how can I spend 40 hours doing this then go home and eat meat? I am a work in progress and almost there.

11127817_10153179632590549_7932216571292

Frankly, I think you're just baiting with a post like this, rather than seeking any real dialogue. You're saying "Here's why you're wrong, now explain yourself to me."

"Sorry bud," but if you don't want to participate in the conversation, you can click back and go do whatever it was you were doing. This thread was very clearly about a very specific line of question and answer: one that exists on forums, news websites, and classrooms all around the world. I couldn't care less if people here are offended by the fact that mindless consumerism exists. Why would I be?

My saying "here's how you're wrong, now explain how you overlook this wrongness" is not a negation of potential dialogue. Look at the posts by JR and a few others. It's only a poor approach to conversation if you have any rejection or willful ignorance of the negative reality that the conversation must be founded on, which is to say that the farming industry is hugely (almost entirely) violent, destructive, morally questionable, and unsustainable

Archived