The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your excuse for eating meat?

GLASSJAW

What's wrong with making people feel bad for eating Costco or Walmart meat? Seriously?

I don't see anything wrong with eating Costco or Walmart meat if that's what one can afford. These "ethical" meat options sound great, but the cost of buying them means they aren't an option for all.

I've come to terms that the fact that not everything I buy is produced ethically. I sure hope the OP doesn't own a cellphone...

i do not think your post follows the subject at all -- you're taking a 'consumer consciousness' idea to an extreme that would lead someone to exist outside of the whole of western civilization. saying "why buy meat from walmart?" is not at all the same thing as "why not never wear clothes and go live in a tree?" -- nor does one question anticipate the next

owning clothes is essential to functioning in the modern world. buying meat from walmart is not. what is your point that i'm missing?

i do not think your post follows the subject at all -- you're taking a 'consumer consciousness' idea to an extreme that would lead someone to exist outside of the whole of western civilization. saying "why buy meat from walmart?" is not at all the same thing as "why not never wear clothes and go live in a tree?" -- nor does one question anticipate the next

owning clothes is essential to functioning in the modern world. buying meat from walmart is not. what is your point that i'm missing?

Do you make sure all your clothes are manufactured ethically? Who knows what that 13 year old girl went through so you could have your $12 t-shirt from wal mart. This is 'consumer consciousness'.

Some times people deserved to be knocked off their high horse. This was a self righteous post. Which is why it got this response.
What are you talking about? GJ acknowledges the seemingly condescending language of his query in the OP:

So, if the NYT couldn't really do it, how about us? How do you overlook the fact that your dinner is what it is? I know it sounds condescending, but I don't mean for it to. I think the simple facts of the matter simply MAKE it sound condescending. I'm only asking because I am seriously interested. I am not a vegan or something. This isn't a call to vegetarian arms, I am legitimately curious as to how we make our food choices.
It would be nice if people could look past the word "excuse" without being offended and instead focus on the question GJ is asking.

8 replies in 4 minutes. Statistics don't lie.
Lol. What does eight replies in four minutes have to do with your assertion that GJ was being self-righteous? What does timing have anything to do with the quality of the replies? A whole new thread can be made to discuss how easily stats can be misrepresented.

I don't see anything wrong with eating Costco or Walmart meat if that's what one can afford. These "ethical" meat options sound great, but the cost of buying them means they aren't an option for all. I've come to terms that the fact that not everything I buy is produced ethically. I sure hope the OP doesn't own a cellphone...
Best answer I've seen so far, I am sure cost plays a huge role in restricting dietary options despite one's moral standing (especially if taking care of a family). It should be noted though, that just because GJ is bringing up a controversial subject and asking hard questions, doesn't mean he is suddenly forced to be a dietary messiah for his opinion or line of thought to carry any weight. That is no different than accusing people who care about the environment for being hypocrites because they rely on oil-based products to live their lives.

Ok, my post was a little extreme, I will give you that. But with clothes, you don't need to buy anything that was made with slave labour and with harmful chemicals at a Bangledeshi sweat shop. There are alternatives to clothes buying just as much as meat buying. My point is basically

this: why are you limiting your argument to meat? There are so many alternate choices that we can make besides food that will help our fellow humans, the animals, and the environment. Choices that I can guarantee that you yourself are on the wrong end of.

It's tasty and I need the protein to get swole.

I hate to say it but this is the truth for me. I would make an effort to buy more ethically conscious foods but I simply don't have the money or time. I won't make excuses for my habits, I simply have other priorities.

Well this thread was a disaster... feel kinda bad for GJ he probably had good intentions making this thread, but his approach was weak..

Seems like a fairly honest question(s) that IMO didn't deserve nits jumping in to act like douchebags. Too many children on the site rn, the ups and downs of making the playoffs I guess.

I miss Luci :(.

I doubt Luci would care about this thread tbh..

I live near a local meat shop/farm and yes, they probably use hormones and other stuff, but at least I can see that they aren't twitching out and incapable of regular functionality from mad cow disease. Because the cattle is raised right there in the field beside the place. And, they are grain feed. Good cuts of meat. At least that is the illusion the place gives off. Makes me feel good about my choice. I quaff the stuff down, it is nummy.

why do I have to have an "excuse" to eat meat?

can´t I just eat it because I like it and because it´s a circle? humans are strong. humans have tecnology. humans have means to domesticate and kill animals.

so we eat meat because it´s faster and cheaper than make sintetic protein.

Simple. I don´t have an excuse. I eat meat because I like it...

I am disgusting and vile?

Honestly, I can't justify it. I have been staked out on animal rescues for 7 of the past 8 days. I volunteer for 2 different shelters and am so vocal about animal activism. I am currently fighting to have a circus elephant in dire need of rescue released from performing and vote daily for a Puppy Mill rescue operation that gets donations based on it. And I like steak once in awhile.

Growing up in a household where it wasn't given a thought, I was raised to eat meat but have slowly shifted away from it. If I don't have anyone here to cook for, I go meatless (tonight it was beans on toast and a caesar salad). I don't buy meat when I'm on my own...when people are here, I do.

But I also can't look at images or watch "those" videos. I'm a stick my head in the sand'er. And I am ashamed to say so, but am only/still working toward "meatless". Not good enough, I know. Here I am, lobbying for rabbit meat to be taken out of stores and I go buy cows and chickens. Hypocrite, that's why.

To be perfectly honest, I have been uninformed and oblivious in my lifetime...ignorant, really...I liked it better then. I really only recently became aware of "how" meat gets to our plate and always just trusted that it was via the guy up the road from me, who has "cows" out in the pasture that eventually meet their horrible fate. In becoming more aware, it's tougher to swallow for sure.

Anyhow, for the record, these are the babies I rescued this week (I got called out for one baby....over the course of the week I found 7). Shameless rabbit plug. How could you eat these guys? And how can I spend 40 hours doing this then go home and eat meat? I am a work in progress and almost there.

I, for one, think you should watch "those videos." Yes, very difficult to watch, and you will totally cry, but you will also make (more) choices that will be emotionally and intellectually satisfying. "Earthlings" is probably the worst of the lot in terms of how demystifying and 'honest' it is. It's not a PETA project or something (as far as I know), but it doesn't really hide anything.

I watched it, then re-watched it with family, then again with friends. I honestly just think it's something people SHOULD watch. It is available on youtube for free, and the wiki article is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthlings_(film)

I don't see anything wrong with eating Costco or Walmart meat if that's what one can afford. These "ethical" meat options sound great, but the cost of buying them means they aren't an option for all.

I've come to terms that the fact that not everything I buy is produced ethically. I sure hope the OP doesn't own a cellphone...

That's the choice you make, obviously. Me, personally, as a fellow broke person, I would rather just buy meat once a month, once a week, from a source I actually enjoy, or actually appreciate, instead of buying more of the same junk from a source I could never morally support. But that is the choice we all have to make, I guess.

My point is basically

this: why are you limiting your argument to meat? There are so many alternate choices that we can make besides food that will help our fellow humans, the animals, and the environment. Choices that I can guarantee that you yourself are on the wrong end of.

I stil don't get it. Are you trying to call me a hypocrite? Because I think I already called myself one in the first post of this thread when I said I, too, eat meat from time to time. Why can't we discuss one thing without discussing everything?

Of course we could be discussing clothing. I chose to discuss meat because I've been thinking about this stuff recently. I don't really know what to say to your post. I am not saying I live in a tree, I am not saying I am a perfect consumer. I am not saying that I have a clean moral slate. I am saying, though, that I try. I am asking how other people try, or if they don't try, why don't they?

Well this thread was a disaster... feel kinda bad for GJ he probably had good intentions making this thread, but his approach was weak..

I doubt Luci would care about this thread tbh..

I knew what the response would be. I worded the title as I did fully knowing that a bunch of monkeys would chimp out over it. I knew the reaction would be what it is, but I also expected a few people to post as they did, or expect them to post as they will. In other words, I didn't have you in mind when I made this thread, but thank you for your sympathy either way

I knew what the response would be. I worded the title as I did fully knowing that a bunch of monkeys would chimp out over it. I knew the reaction would be what it is, but I also expected a few people to post as they did, or expect them to post as they will. In other words, I didn't have you in mind when I made this thread, but thank you for your sympathy either way

Please answer my question...

Archived