The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings locked Sutter out of dressing room

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/12/lombardi-admits-players-locked-sutter-out-disputes-specifics/

Lombardi admits team locked Sutter out, disputes specifics

This was a trying season for the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings and it's possible the players relationship with coach Darryl Sutter got rather strained in the process. A recent report from the New York Post cited sources stating that the players locked Sutter out of the locker room after a defeat within the last two weeks. They reportedly went as far as to block the door with garbage cans.

"It's factually inaccurate," Kings GM Dean Lombardi said, per the Orange County Register.

Partially at least. Lombardi isn't saying it didn't happen, just that it didnt happen within the last two weeks. It actually occurred during the Kings time in Tampa Bay, which is a noteworthy distinction because Los Angeles began an eight-game winning streak with its victory over the Lightning on Feb. 7.

"In terms of what actually happened, maybe (players) don't have to go to that extreme, but theoretically I don't have a problem with it," Lombardi added. "Here's the thing, with where this team has to get to. If you look at what a coach's number-one role is, it's to give his team structure and detail. The emotion, in terms of getting that emotion to where it needs to be, if we're going to be a top team it has to come from within the room.

" What happened there, that's what needs to happen. The players need to take over the room emotionally, and if they want to go in there and say, 'Coach, stay out, I've got this one. We know how to win,' I've got no problem with that."

Just in the future, Lombardi hopes the players don't resort to using garbage cans to get their point across.

Given that Sutter has led Los Angeles to two Stanley Cup championships, it would be surprising to see him go after one bad season. As previously noted, when Sutter was asked if he would be back in September, he said, "Absolutely. What do you mean, 'see me?' Am I invisible?"

Wow. What a bunch of jerks. First the players and now Dean Lombardi tries to justify his players actions? What a classless team from players to management.

Have one of the most respectful people period in hockey in Sutter and they treat him like an ass. They're lucky he's such a humble and forgiving guy because after this, they honestly don't deserve a guy the calibre of Darryl. He's turned around that entire organization and gets rewarded like this? Talk about adding injury to insult. Gutless. Makes me sick to my stomach. Absolutely pathetic.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/12/lombardi-admits-players-locked-sutter-out-disputes-specifics/

Wow. What a bunch of jerks. First the players and now Dean Lombardi tries to justify his players actions? What a classless team from players to management.

Have one of the most respectful people period in hockey in Sutter and they treat him like an ass. They're lucky he's such a humble and forgiving guy because after this, they honestly don't deserve a guy the calibre of Darryl. He's turned around that entire organization and gets rewarded like this? Talk about adding injury to insult. Gutless. Makes me sick to my stomach. Absolutely pathetic.

what makes u think he's such a respectable guy. Let's all stop assuming we know the guy haha

Sutter is obviously a talented coach and strategist but I could definitely see players tiring of his 'de-motivational' style as a bench boss.

Still, its hard to deny his effectiveness and if the players think that a locked door and some garbage cans are going to consistently keep him out of their faces for poor play...they are kidding themselves.

I wonder who's idea it was to lock the door?

Probably Brown? He's their captain and the biggest idiot on that team. The next most likely is probably Doughty, who would win the award handed out to most arrogant hockey player.

Probably Brown? He's their captain and the biggest idiot on that team. The next most likely is probably Doughty, who would win the award handed out to most arrogant hockey player.

Say what you want about Doughty, but I doubt Canada wins Gold at Sochi without him, the guy is a beast.

In hypothetical land, I would trade ANY 2 Canucks straight up for him......probably would even consider Henrik and Daniel.

Aren't those just rumours though? Seems kind of hard to believe he'd get the results he has if he was doing that.

scotty bowman is generally considered one of the least liked coaches in NHL history. Players often had to be physically restrained from getting at him.

Archived