The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ADSF: (1) Montreal Canadiens vs (4) Ottawa Senators

Who will win the series?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well for starters, your example is related to a penalty (Involving Subban of all people). I am talking about a goal that was arbitrarily called off because the ref couldn't see the play. Not surprised Subban didn't get the call, he was fined THREE TIMES this season for diving, so guaranteed he's on the list. Guess what: You cry wolf too often, you don't get the calls.

Considering that goal could have been THE difference in the game, it's kind of a big deal when a legitimate play is blown dead prematurely. It was a good goal, and it should have counted.

It's easy to solve, just make those plays reviewable by the war room. I think it's a bitter pill for the Sens to swallow when that goal might have changed the trajectory of the game.

But that would make too much sense...

From the league's perspective though, why should they care? They won't lose any fans no matter how many calls are wrong.

Well for starters, your example is related to a penalty (Involving Subban of all people). I am talking about a goal that was arbitrarily called off because the ref couldn't see the play. Not surprised Subban didn't get the call, he was fined THREE TIMES this season for diving, so guaranteed he's on the list. Guess what: You cry wolf too often, you don't get the calls.

Considering that goal could have been THE difference in the game, it's kind of a big deal when a legitimate play is blown dead prematurely. It was a good goal, and it should have counted.

It's easy to solve, just make those plays reviewable by the war room. I think it's a bitter pill for the Sens to swallow when that goal might have changed the trajectory of the game.

Bitter pill indeed. Refs should just be in better position on those rushes. I don't know why they feel the need to skate all the way to the blue line... Yeah, you want to see if the puck crosses the goal line, but with technology these days that is replayable and goals can be rewarded retroactively (as seen in the Ducks/Jets series with Corey Perry's goal). Whether or not a ref called a play dead, however, is much more difficult to argue.

In regards to your first point, however, a player's reputation should not prevent a ref from making the right call. Refereeing was questionable all series for both teams, so to say that the Habs win was scripted would be a stretch.

In regards to your first point, however, a player's reputation should not prevent a ref from making the right call. Refereeing was questionable all series for both teams, so to say that the Habs win was scripted would be a stretch.

Did someone say that? If that were the case, I would certainly disagree.

However, it is my opinion that a bad call by the referee took a good goal away from the Senators and it had a direct result on the outcome of the game.

You're correct that bad calls happen to both teams, but there are bad calls and there are bad calls that affect game (and series) outcomes. The quick whistle fell into the latter category, IMHO.

Also, I think it's a stretch to complain about PK not getting the benefit of a call. He was given a huge benefit when he wasn't suspended for that slash.

Yes, someone suggested the Habs win was scripted. Secondly, Any good goal that is mistakenly called off has the potential to effect the outcome of a game. The Sen's goal should have counted but the play was blown dead when the ref was out of position and lost sight of the puck. It happens.

Finally, I think comparing the Subban non-call is still an apt comparison. Regardless of whether he should have been suspended or not the refs still missed a blatant and dangerous crosscheck to his neck, and the Senators scored shortly after. It was a blown call as much as the quick whistle was. The difference the the Canadiens managed to overcome the situation and went on to win the game anyways. The Senators had a lot of time and plenty of opportunities to score again but came up short.

Yes, bad calls happen and good teams overcome them. No argument.

What was being discussed when I entered the conversation is whether or not such things should be reviewable. Mustapha and I were of the opinion that they should, while Mikeyboy disagreed, employing the old "slippery slope" argument.

You chimed in with the "scripted" thing which came from I know not where. Certianly not from the post of Mustapha's that you quoted.

So to summarize: I would like to see any call that has a direct result of a goal being allowed or disallowed become reviewable. Not because I'm a fan of Ottawa, but because I'd like to see the correct call made as much as possible and let the teams decide the outcomes of games, rather than the officials.

First star of the game: Chris Lee for blowing play down early.

Ottawa got screwed over hard with that early whistle. That was a good goal.

Oops says the ref. "Derp, gee whiz, aw shucks, sorry to end your season early guys...but y'know, it happens.."

Oh well, the right team won, right?

I swear this crap is scripted.

Archived