The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Oilers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

I can't believe how sensitive people are in regards to media opinion.

Getting hissy over them talking up the Flames?

Does anyone really realize what the Flames accomplished this season?

Let's flip this around.

Can you imagine being in the thick of a playoff race with 25 games to go then suddenly Hank Sedin is gone for the rest of the season.

They deserve more praise then us on Hockey Night in Canada, they earned it.

So stop crying about PJ Stock admiring a team that deserves admiration.

I hate the Flames and would like nothing more then a van sweep, but man oh man do I respect what they overcame to get here.

Come on boy, the Internet is no place for common sense and respect!

As punishment you will now have to post a degrading Flames picture in the photoshop thread :P

Well that turned out to be a pretty sexy season for us after all. 48 wins, 101 points, 2nd in the division, and some pretty balanced scoring throughout the lineup. I am officially impressed and glad that the team didn't decide to tank; not to jinx it but it just feels like we might get to see something special this postseason.

On another note, I noticed a couple of interesting tidbits (not all Canuck related) when looking over the final standings on NHL.com.

The Canucks are the 2nd highest scoring team of the western conference playoff qualifiers.

The Kings missed the playoffs with exactly the same record as they had in 2011/12 when they won their first cup.

The Islanders recorded their first 100 point season since 1983/84. The drive for 5 (cups) ended with a loss to the Oilers in the SCF that year.

The Bruins now hold the record for most points of a non-playoff qualifier with 96. :bigblush:

That's incorrect

On NHL.COM prior to the game we were 14th in league with all other 28 teams at 82 GP (if we lost that's where we woulda placed)

And after the win we are now 8th in the league

Making it a 6-7 spot difference (NOT 4 LIKE YOU STATED)

And as for the Management saying anything i said lol meaning that would never happen and was a joke

All I was trying to say is that the win cost us 6-7 spots in the draft and no benefit to this year

That's it that's all

As for the last part

Winning is doing everything needed to get better to be the best you can be now and in the future

OK, then winning that game against Oilers was the best for the present. It was best for the team's mentality going into the playoffs and for the players that haven't scored in a while to get involved in the scoring plays. It was also good for the future as Baertschi got to score two goals, good for his confidence and good for the organization to know what we have in him.

As for the draft position, no one can say now that 6-7 differences in where we pick would result in picking a better players. What were the Canucks supposed to do? Lose on purpose? Also, if I'm not mistaken, if we win round 1, we automatically pick from 22-30? Don't we?

Losing the game against Edmonton would've been the only thing that the Canucks could've done that goes against what you said about doing everything needed to get better. In fact, losing would've been the most harmful thing the Canucks could've done last night.

I only caught part of the second and the third period.

Miller looked rusty. But looked better in the third.

I'm concerned how slow he'd get up, is he really healthy?

Dat shift! Vintage Sedin's. So much for a stale core huh?

Glad to see Stanton back. I hope he gets a real shot next year.

Should we call Sven, Pavel? He looked rather Bure-like out there.

I'm actually shocked at all the Cassie Campbell appreciation I'm hearing. I remember when she first started broadcasting there was a lot of folks ragging on her. Clearly her hockey experience shows during interviews. I hope she keeps getting better. Maybe she can keep the panel and Cherry under control. LOL

Mixed bag for Vey. That gaffe he did that lead to the goal, do that in the playoffs and that can cost you in a series. Yet he does a great assist later on. I know he's a rookie, but he's got to start learning from his mistakes and play a little smarter.

GINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This team finds new ways to win, and never says die. Good things going into the playoffs.

Hold on to your hat's folks. Calgary is not going to be easy. But it's gonna be a helluva ride!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Stanton looked awful. Part of it is rust for not playing so long but if he can't handle the Oilers fore checkers, then he can't handle the Flames fore checkers. I think he will be let go next season. Corrado and Clendening are already better options I think.

Things learned in the last few games:

1) Alex Edler has arrived. Best player all season long for the Canucks IMO, and now his offence has come at the right time. Edler on his game is one of the best defencemen in the league.

2) Miller is not ready, Lack is. He got shelled by the worst team in the league whereas Lack stood on his head and ended the Kings season single-handedly. Eddie has been fantastic in the big games, Miller is one day in from injury and looks rusty. Don't want a rusty goalie in net against the Flames or they'll eat Miller alive, whereas Eddie has done alright against Calgary.

3) Baertschi may be all he cracked up to be. Had chances in his first two games, now he explodes against a weak defence. Definately give him a shot against the Flames and lets see what he can do.

I hate to have to remind people that this was a meaningless game, it showed when the Canucks were playing sloppy and resulted in preventable goals. Not to mention it was his first game back.

Archived