The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting summer coming up! (Discussion)

Just want to firstly say I am stoked for the playoffs! GO Canucks GO!

So getting into my post, I find it interesting what Benning has done in the last year and it has lead me to believe that a few things are going to happen this summer.

First off, as Benning as shown, he has no difficulty moving assets around, the other thing is, he has his ear to road and seems to know where other teams hidden assets are. The jury is still out on Vey, Baertschi, and Clendening, but who would have thought he would go after them? In Baertschi's case, he is a potential 2nd line player, which goes to show us all, exactly how hard it is to get such a player.

Really, the vets he has acquired, are really somewhat the same. He picked up Vrbata (great pick up and Dorsett, another great pick up!), and he has to make those little adjustments, without too much cost.

Now when you look at our assets, you see that we are heavy with #2 and 3 centers, and if you are honest about them you will see we do not have to pick any more depth centers for the future. As of now we have: H. Sedin, Bonino, Horvat, Vey, McCann, Gaunce, Cassels, and UFA's Matthias, and

Richardson

The same thing can be said about our # 3, 4 Defensemen, where we have a plethora of young Dman in the waiting for those 2 spots. Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Weber, Stanon, Corado, Clendening, Subban, McNally, Pedan, etc. Like I say, a lot of young defenceman.

What our needs are, and they are 2, are a 1st line center prospect, and a #1 PM Dman. These 2 position is where I see Benning focusing on this summer, either at the draft or during the summer. Our current and future depth is solid. Top end is where he is looking!

My belief is that Benning will look at moving 2 of Vey, McCann, Jensen, Gaunce and Cassels , along with our first round pick and a roster player for a potential 1st line Center prospect or young Centerman, this year and going after our future #1 defenceman next year. Or visa versa.

My reasoning is that Benning does really like his vets, and will not want to move many, but will move a few to balance the Cap Budget, and to package with those prospects and picks to acquire those aforementioned players.

My thoughts are that Miller will still be here, because no one will want his 6 million dollar contract. and that the following players will be moved this year....Lack, Kassian, our 2015-1st, McCann, Jensen, with the off chance Benning moves one of Bieska or Hamhuis.

It will be another interesting off season for sure and saying all that I have said, it is just as likely that Benning only moves enough to be Cap Compliant, unless the right deal comes along.

My belief is that Benning will look at moving 2 of Vey, McCann, Jensen, Gaunce and Cassels , along with our first round pick and a roster player for a potential 1st line Center prospect or young Centerman, this year and going after our future #1 defenceman next year. Or visa versa.

My thoughts are that Miller will still be here, because no one will want his 6 million dollar contract. and that the following players will be moved this year....Lack, Kassian, our 2015-1st, McCann, Jensen, with the off chance Benning moves one of Bieska or Hamhuis.

:picard:

Henrik isn't going anywhere for another 3 years, so it's not a must that we have to find a #1 center prospect. Yet.

A number 1 dman yes. I don't think Benning will do it, but yes we need one. I don't want to move either of Bieksa or Hamhuis but if it's between them, it will be Hammer that goes. Highly unlikely though.

Kassian is not going anywhere btw. He's here to stay.

Other than Vey I can't imagine JB trading anyone young.

So getting into my post, I find it interesting what Benning has done in the last year and it has lead me to believe that a few things are going to happen this summer.

First off, as Benning as shown, he has no difficulty moving assets around, the other thing is, he has his ear to road and seems to know where other teams hidden assets are. The jury is still out on Vey, Baertschi, and Clendening, but who would have thought he would go after them? In Baertschi's case, he is a potential 2nd line player, which goes to show us all, exactly how hard it is to get such a player.

Really, the vets he has acquired, are really somewhat the same. He picked up Vrbata (great pick up and Dorsett, another great pick up!), and he has to make those little adjustments, without too much cost.

Now when you look at our assets, you see that we are heavy with #2 and 3 centers, and if you are honest about them you will see we do not have to pick any more depth centers for the future. As of now we have: H. Sedin, Bonino, Horvat, Vey, McCann, Gaunce, Cassels, and UFA's Matthias, and

Richardson

The same thing can be said about our # 3, 4 Defensemen, where we have a plethora of young Dman in the waiting for those 2 spots. Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Weber, Stanon, Corado, Clendening, Subban, McNally, Pedan, etc. Like I say, a lot of young defenceman.

What our needs are, and they are 2, are a 1st line center prospect, and a #1 PM Dman. These 2 position is where I see Benning focusing on this summer, either at the draft or during the summer. Our current and future depth is solid. Top end is where he is looking!

My reasoning is that Benning does really like his vets, and will not want to move many, but will move a few to balance the Cap Budget, and to package with those prospects and picks to acquire those aforementioned players.

It will be another interesting off season for sure and saying all that I have said, it is just as likely that Benning only moves enough to be Cap Compliant, unless the right deal comes along.

Id hold on to mccann gaunce and cassels. mccann will light it up in world juniors this yr and ohl again gaunce and cassels will earn more experience in utica and be call ups next yr.

vey is a defensive liability id package him

jensen has regressed id trade him as well

hamhuis, miller, richardson, mattias, hansen, higgins, stanton, weber all have value i trade a bunch of these vets for draft picks and try for a number one dman we need to resign kenins, baerchi, grenier, clendening, corrado.

I don't think this summer is going to be as active as last years but I do expect some pieces to be moved. Mathias and Richardson will likely hit free agency and it's possible a team is willing to give up a late draft pick for negotiating rights, I'm thinking for Mathias not so much Richardson.

There is still the goaltending dilemma to sort out, markstorm may seem to be the logical choice to get moved but there can be only #1 goaltender so I think it's between lack and Miller at this point. Personally I would choose Lack, younger, cheaper and is just as good as Miller is now but the market will determine that.

Finally, it's true there is a log jam of forwards and a few young players who need to be in the lineup in order to not have wasted assets on them. Vey, Clendenning and Baerschi will all likely be in the lineup next year which means room must be made. I don't expect major trades except for draft picks and prospects that have fallen down the depth chart of other teams and Benning seems to have an eye for the reclamation projects.

If there are moves with vets, look no further then Burrows and or Hammer/Edler. Mathias is gone as is Richardson. You gain cap space and can fill in with youth. Even gain a first round pick for Edler, second for Hammer. Burrows is a second possibly a third. Get Markstrom moved for a fourth or fifth round pick. I don't see a goaltending problem at no#1 or #2 ,gives Lack one more year to get ready for the big seat. Vey will get one more year to prove himself, probably 3rd line duty, with Baerschi and Jensen fighting for a spot on the 2nd line, giving Hunter and Gaunce call ups, through out the year. I would sign Curtis Valk to an AHL contract and see where he can take it. Any rookie on the roster other than those iv'e mentioned, will have earned a spot.

Even though I would love to see a major coup in a trade for one of the top three pick's this year, I know it won't happen. to expensive for the Canucks to pull off. Unless of coarse you ask for Buffalo's first for Edler and Bonino + van's 1st r pick. And you know where i am going with that. plus a #3 or #4 D-man. But that is real fantasy.

could you imagine: Sedin- Sedin- Kassian

Bearschi- Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins- McDavid- Vey/Jensen

Hansen- Gaunce- Dorsett.

Richardson

I don't know fellows, but I think it will be a little to late if we wait 3 to 4 years until the Sedin's retire before trying to acquire these 2 players.

I think you have to look at the team today, and try to have those players ready to go in that time, so really for me, we should get them these next 2 years, to be ready for when Hank and Dan retire. Not to mention Vrbata, and Hamhuis. The others vets are replaceable with players we already have in the system.

I haven't heard of any one other than CDC that says that McCann or Cassels can be number one line players, not that I don't like them, but I am not sure they could do it.

Maybe Benning doesn't trade them, but you will have to see some movement, because we have a lot of players maturing at the same time and others that already have shown they are NHL ready. aka Vey, Baertschi, Clendening, none that have been regulars this year on a full time basis, and which we would loose if we try and send them down.

Not only that, but Kenins and possibly McCann and Virtanen will push next year. To me it just seems logical that some of the pieces NEED to be moved and our greater need is again, those 2 elite positions.

If you want to wait until the Sedin's retire before obtaining them, they will not be ready for 5 or 6 years, that is not when our already acquired prospects will be ready, so I think Benning moves sooner than later, for that reason.

Honestly, to get there from here, I would be willing to trade McCann, Demko, Cassels, Subban, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen all which are later firsts or other rounder's

Same goes for Kassian, Vey, Higgins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieska, Hansen, and Lack

I would not want to trade McCann or Demko, but I would for an elite

Certainly, with all the above mentioned players along with our 2015-1st and 2016 1st, we can acquire these 2 elusive elite players, the rest are replaceable, to a large degree.

Not saying, they all go, but we do need the 2 type players long term.....

PS, I would hate trading my favorite 4 (McCann, Demko, Cassels or Virtanen) I do think that who ever is left will be integral to our future, but not move than those 2 elite players we need.......IMO

I don't know fellows, but I think it will be a little to late if we wait 3 to 4 years until the Sedin's retire before trying to acquire these 2 players.

I think you have to look at the team today, and try to have those players ready to go in that time, so really for me, we should get them these next 2 years, to be ready for when Hank and Dan retire. Not to mention Vrbata, and Hamhuis. The others vets are replaceable with players we already have in the system.

I haven't heard of any one other than CDC that says that McCann or Cassels can be number one line players, not that I don't like them, but I am not sure they could do it.

Maybe Benning doesn't trade them, but you will have to see some movement, because we have a lot of players maturing at the same time and others that already have shown they are NHL ready. aka Vey, Baertschi, Clendening, none that have been regulars this year on a full time basis, and which we would loose if we try and send them down.

Not only that, but Kenins and possibly McCann and Virtanen will push next year. To me it just seems logical that some of the pieces NEED to be moved and our greater need is again, those 2 elite positions.

If you want to wait until the Sedin's retire before obtaining them, they will not be ready for 5 or 6 years, that is not when our already acquired prospects will be ready, so I think Benning moves sooner than later, for that reason.

Honestly, to get there from here, I would be willing to trade McCann, Demko, Cassels, Subban, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen all which are later firsts or other rounder's

Same goes for Kassian, Vey, Higgins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieska, Hansen, and Lack

I would not want to trade McCann or Demko, but I would for an elite

Certainly, with all the above mentioned players along with our 2015-1st and 2016 1st, we can acquire these 2 elusive elite players, the rest are replaceable, to a large degree.

Not saying, they all go, but we do need the 2 type players long term.....

PS, I would hate trading my favorite 4 (McCann, Demko, Cassels or Virtanen) I do think that who ever is left will be integral to our future, but not move than those 2 elite players we need.......IMO

The only way I would trade McCann is for McDavid. Don't trade our picks, especially our 1sts, Cassels is Top 9F for sure, if not top 6 or even top 3. We'll be fine if we grab a scorer in this year's draft or next - actually, scratch that, Baertschi is our next Vrbata. And he'll be cheaper, too.

Matthias is going.

Richardson is likely to be going.

Stanton is going.

Weber is likely to be going, but if he can prove himself useful, he might stick around.

Vey is likely to be staying.

Clendening is likely to be staying.

McCann is likely to be staying - Benning's already fended off multiple offers for him.

Cassels is likely to be staying, if he can continue in the pros what he was doing in junior this year.

Hamhuis might go, but it would be at next year's trade deadline at the earliest.

Bieksa: See "Hamhuis".

The Sedins will be second or third-liners in their last year, but we'll have the pieces to replace them coming up through our system by then.

I agree with the OP's long term assessment. 1st priority, who replaces the Sedins? 2nd priority, #1 stud d-man.

But at the same time, Benning is trying to create a team that is balanced in term of age and skill.

• Age - the doughnut team, he is correcting this by adding players in the 21-26 age group
  • Skill - he has added plenty of depth at the bottom 6 level and is working on a 2nd line that is a credible second scoring threat to the Sedin line.

I think that he has been relatively successful at this and is one LW short and his name may be Sven Baertschi but we'll have to wait and see.

I think that the OP also misunderstands the value of the depth that Benning has accumulated. Internal competition is vital. The last thing we want is the old complacency where players don't have to work hard to maintain their position on the roster. There must always be pressure from below. Nobody will deny the advantage of bottom 6 depth and the ability to roll 4 lines at this point.

So where does Benning find top 6 forwards and top pairing defense? I think he plans to draft and develop.

I think that Bennings foray into the free agent market was a one of. I really don't think he's going to make a habit of it. Prices are generally far too high. Other than free agents, the only player who really projects to top 6 or top pairing is Baertschi.

The question that the OP lands upon is whether the normal draft picks of a perennial playoff team will be good enough to draft the top flight players that the Canucks will need in the next number of years when the Sedins and Bieksa and Hamhuis retire? So, does he need to upgrade the picks he has or not?

Benning doesn't really need to fill all holes right away. Goaltending takes the longest to develop and Benning may very well have taken care of this by drafting Demko already. Next longest to develop is defense and I would suggest that defense is a goal for this off season, and after that forwards. Having said that, Benning has said that he will be drafting the BPA with his first picks. Benning may very well decide that it is a good idea to upgrade in the draft but it won't happen at the expense of hard earned depth and internal competition.

We definitely are looking at an interesting offseason.

Not really a big offseaon at all...Maybe a F/A signing or 2, and a couple minor trades at the draft is all I see

The only place the Nucks will be busy IMO is next years trade deadline. When you think about it this last deadline saw teams like Carolina and especially Arizona get very good returns for top players. The Nucks are in a very good position when it comes to youth starting to step in, with all of our youth now imagine what we could add at the deadline if we trade, Miller, Vrbata, Hamhuis and Bieksa.

I am not in a big hurry to trade away players like McCann and Cassels, matter of fact, I get the idea of not even considering them, along with Demko and Virtanen......I GET THAT!.............Over stated! LOL

But what I was pointing out and what I would love to have someone answer is where are these elite players coming from? If you don't want to trade away vets, and picks , or prospects.............simply where are they coming from?

Just please, explain to me where we get an elite Center and an Elite PMD

I think Benning asks himself that very same question, and he will start to answer it starting in this years draft.

I am not in a big hurry to trade away players like McCann and Cassels, matter of fact, I get the idea of not even considering them, along with Demko and Virtanen......I GET THAT!.............Over stated! LOL

But what I was pointing out and what I would love to have someone answer is where are these elite players coming from? If you don't want to trade away vets, and picks , or prospects.............simply where are they coming from?

Just please, explain to me where we get an elite Center and an Elite PMD

I think Benning asks himself that very same question, and he will start to answer it starting in this years draft.

Trade for Kopitar next season or whichever season he's a UFA after.

Draft an elite PMD.

In what i wrote earlier, there was nothing said about drafted players being traded, I said Burrows, Markstrom, traded, as well Edler, let Mathias and richardson go, (a little dream) Bonino Edler, and Vans 1st to buffalo for their 1st. and a#3/#4 d-man. Edler is worth a 1st and a second in any trade, and Bonino a def, late 1st or early 2nd round. In today's NHL a 20 goal scorer is the norm. We can in reality fill the spots that we traded away with internal youth. So no internal players from the draft going no where. But if you want a replacement for the sedins, then a McDavid will be needed, should Horvat and McCann faulter . And the dream is just that, not to many franchise players come into the NHL anymore. Sometimes a team needs to bite the bullit and make the move. IE: Daniel and Henrik Sedin, were chosen by the Canucks at great cost to the team. REMEMBER.. If we fans want our team to be in the playoffs every year then these types of trades sometimes needs to be done to restock.

12-16-FG, do you really think Buffalo would trade McDavid, why would Edler waive to go to Tank City and why would we trade arguably our #1 D-man? We'd be giving up a premium asset who plays around 24 min. for a unit that's already not very strong (defense), plus Trevor should have confidence in him given his rebound in scoring (0.42 p.p.g. still isn't among the elite D-men scorers but he's a respectable two-way player who can offer more than just scoring but sound D also). We'd be like the Penguins or Oilers, with strong firepower up front but no stabilizer in front of Lack.

I'd agree with the #1 C prospect and P.M.D. analysis, but I think drafting would easily be the best way to go about it. Of course, if Vey, Juice, Sbisa and/ or Miller could be moved for futures then I'd readily make those moves too for an upgrade.

Trade for Kopitar next season or whichever season he's a UFA after.

Draft an elite PMD.

Why wait on Kopitar? might as well wait for Johansen he is right in the wheehouse when the Sedins retire or finish their contracts. I think Benning has his eye on the 2016 draft as he has said it is as deep or deeper overall than this one.

Archived