The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting summer coming up! (Discussion)

In what i wrote earlier, there was nothing said about drafted players being traded, I said Burrows, Markstrom, traded, as well Edler, let Mathias and richardson go, (a little dream) Bonino Edler, and Vans 1st to buffalo for their 1st. and a#3/#4 d-man. Edler is worth a 1st and a second in any trade, and Bonino a def, late 1st or early 2nd round. In today's NHL a 20 goal scorer is the norm. We can in reality fill the spots that we traded away with internal youth. So no internal players from the draft going no where. But if you want a replacement for the sedins, then a McDavid will be needed, should Horvat and McCann faulter . And the dream is just that, not to many franchise players come into the NHL anymore. Sometimes a team needs to bite the bullit and make the move. IE: Daniel and Henrik Sedin, were chosen by the Canucks at great cost to the team. REMEMBER.. If we fans want our team to be in the playoffs every year then these types of trades sometimes needs to be done to restock.

That's a gross undervaluation of the first overall. Edler and Bonino aren't of great interest to the Sabres. If I'm Tim Murray I'd expect something more like Horvat/Virtanen, Lack, Tanev, and Van's 2015 first, and given that I'm not an NHL exec I'm not sure if that's even a realistic proposal. Understand that whether McDavid pans out or not, he's the highest touted prospect since Crosby and will be held in a higher esteem. Even at the lower end of his projection, McDavid looks to be a Tavares-level player...not Crosby, but a remarkable player nonetheless. Does Edler/Bonino/1st seem like enough to land Tavares, let alone Crosby? Not really.

Finding a #1 defenseman must be our top priority, rather than a #1 centerman. Sedin still holds that spot for a couple more years, and we have depth down the middle after him with prospects rising up. However on defense we have no elite defensive prospects, and our current d-men are starting their decline (Bieksa and Hamhuis). If there is one piece worth offering a good package for, it's a top defenseman.

As for the McDavid talk in this thread, there is zero chance we get that pick. It would take almost every asset in our organization for Buffalo, Edmonton or Arizona to trade it. We are talking MASSIVE overpayment. Virtanen, Horvat, Lack, Tanev, 1st type insane overpayment for them to part with that pick.

I agree with the OP's long term assessment. 1st priority, who replaces the Sedins? 2nd priority, #1 stud d-man.

But at the same time, Benning is trying to create a team that is balanced in term of age and skill.

• Age - the doughnut team, he is correcting this by adding players in the 21-26 age group
  • Skill - he has added plenty of depth at the bottom 6 level and is working on a 2nd line that is a credible second scoring threat to the Sedin line.

I think that he has been relatively successful at this and is one LW short and his name may be Sven Baertschi but we'll have to wait and see.

I think that the OP also misunderstands the value of the depth that Benning has accumulated. Internal competition is vital. The last thing we want is the old complacency where players don't have to work hard to maintain their position on the roster. There must always be pressure from below. Nobody will deny the advantage of bottom 6 depth and the ability to roll 4 lines at this point.

So where does Benning find top 6 forwards and top pairing defense? I think he plans to draft and develop.

I think that Bennings foray into the free agent market was a one of. I really don't think he's going to make a habit of it. Prices are generally far too high. Other than free agents, the only player who really projects to top 6 or top pairing is Baertschi.

The question that the OP lands upon is whether the normal draft picks of a perennial playoff team will be good enough to draft the top flight players that the Canucks will need in the next number of years when the Sedins and Bieksa and Hamhuis retire? So, does he need to upgrade the picks he has or not?

Benning doesn't really need to fill all holes right away. Goaltending takes the longest to develop and Benning may very well have taken care of this by drafting Demko already. Next longest to develop is defense and I would suggest that defense is a goal for this off season, and after that forwards. Having said that, Benning has said that he will be drafting the BPA with his first picks. Benning may very well decide that it is a good idea to upgrade in the draft but it won't happen at the expense of hard earned depth and internal competition.

We definitely are looking at an interesting offseason.

so we are going to win a cup in the next 5yrs? Gillis had a blue print and got to the finals with a couple clever moves...all this developing is wonderful but it doesn't really guarantee anything.... just means a whole lot of effort and hopefully not wasted time...

If I were King, which I am not..........this is what I would be looking at

First off, our future forwards Gaunce, McCann, Cassels, Jensen, Shinaruk , and Vitanen are as good of looking forward Prospects in general as any other team has........."Outside" a bonified 10 to 12 year starting 1st line center.

Again with our defense, which appears to be our weakness, is the same aside from needing that "Young PMD", we need to get bigger on defense. If you honestly look at the game last night, you would have noticed just how hard it was for our defensemen to clear the front of our net. Yes we won, but against the 16th best team in the league. Hamhuis was fighting a midget and having trouble, and Bieska looked small. It is good to have "team toughness" but if both teams have it and are equal in skill...the big team will win. This is another area we fall short on.

To me an elite Young Center, a elite Young PMD, and 2 larger number #3 to #5 defenseman would go along way to making us competitive well into the future, and at a much higher level

"IF" good defenseman can be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds than we need to keep our 2nd and 3rd round picks.....plain and simple. Otherwise you MUST go big or go home. Get in to that upper end of the draft where elite players have a much higher certainty of turning out as advertised.

Please note....the hit Tanev took last night was a normal hit in the Anahiem-Winnipeg series. The league is getting bigger and faster...we better be ready.

I would be looking to move Hamhuis + for a mid to late 1st and an early second this year, before his value drops further, Vrbata at the Deadline next year for a late first, and consider trading Lack if his play stays high for the rest of these playoffs. (Please note that trading Lack will be much like trading Schneider... it hurt, but it brought us Horvat).

Would packaging up a 2015st + Lack and Bonino for a high end first might bring us our top end Defenseman, again we would be much closer to what we need.

Again, I am not the "King" nor Benning, but it's my opinion for what it's worth. (5 cents!)

I don't see a lot of moves coming up.

With Clendenning no long waiver exempt and Vey, Baertchi in the fold, I see Jensen and Corrado as possible trade bait at the draft. Either to move up, get a few extra picks, etc. Virtanen, Cassels, and Subban can take over their spots on the Utica roster.

I see Weber staying.. He has played well, but if not maybe Corrado will be sticking around.

Matthias and Richie's spots will be taken next year, even if downgrade Benning has to watch the cap. Unless Miller is moved these two will be walking. I don't see any FA options joining the fold either. This group will look pretty much the same but with stand ins this season playing full roles next year.

The only thing I am truly worried about is not seeing Lack on the roster next year. But I see Benning moving Markstrom and buying the team another year to figure out the Eddie/Miller situation before that happens.

Don't think Virtanen can play AHL next year because of this birthdate. I think its the Canucks or Junior for him.

The thing about goalies in General, is there seems to be a lot of them, and the difference between 2.30GAA, 2.50 isn't a whole lot either way, it is the approx. difference of a 20 goal scorer. I wouldn't worry about loosing Lack, he is replaceable, especially since we probably will still have Miller.

Getting mid to late first and expecting them to be elite, isn't fair, and expectations need to be tempered. If you want elite, generally you have to pay for it, either by tanking or paying through the nose.

With all the opposition to trading assets though, I wonder if we would ever have acquired Hank and Dan. It just seems no one understands what part of the draft the elite players come from. And yes, I understand you can find them in the 2nd round, but rarely!

Exactly how many gems have we found in the 2nd in 40+ years? So, if we are not going to fall to the basement until the Sedins retire, maybe this is the time to move up by spending some asset...........aka Bonino + Lack + 2015 1st......just asking

All the cap issues can be addressed by moving MIller. We could even re-sign Richardson, which would be a good idea. Matthais is another matter: He's been hot and cold and isn't as useful to the team as Higgins when he isn't scoring. I think they'll let him walk to make room for Baertschi.

With the Sedins' resurgence, I think we can afford to wait and see how our centre prospects develop, so I'm not sold on moving the assets that would be needed to land an elite C prospect. On defense, though, it could make sense. At our projected draft position, Jeremy Roy could well be available, or the price for moving up might be affordable. That's something I'd look at. Otherwise, just go BPA.

I dont see Matthias being retained.

Neither Matthias or Higgins are the best 2-LW fit. Higgins is signed with a NTC, and Baertschi will bring far more skill and offence to the top 6 than either player. There are also the likes of Keinins and Dorsett to fill the 4th line, and you never know how Virtanen might pan out through training camp, but would most certainly replace the speed and net drive presence that Matthias can bring, but play a much more physical game.

So Matthias walks....

Richardson might come back as theres no other waiver eligible center options to worry about there, so keeping him would help to allow our young centers to continue development. He may like to test the market, but considering his health issues it may not take an arm and a leg to keep him around. Solid bottom 6 utility player.

On the wing...

Heres where things get a bit more interesting:

Sure things imo...

Daniel - ntc

Vrbata

Burrows - ntc

Baertschi - waivers

Higgins - ntc

Dorsett

Hansen - ntc

7 of 8 spots taken which leaves...

Kassian - trade bait?

Kennins

Conacher (has been very good in Utica, JB and TL seem quite impressed)

Shinkaruk

Virtanen

At center:

Henrik

Bonino - upgrade via trade?

Horvat

Richardson - low cost veteran depth and reliable

Vey - 13th forward imo

5 potential centers, but still a pretty average group at best and youngins looking to make an impression...

Gaunce

Cassels

McCann

Defence!

Edler - ntc

Tanev - here to stay

Hamhuis - ntc

Bieksa - ntc

Sbisa

Weber

Stanton

Clendenning

Corrado

Somethings gotta give here. Cant see the likes of Hammer or KB3 waiving. Edler and Tanev have been superb for the most part. Sbisa with a fresh contract. And 4 RFAs in their early 20s wholl have to clear waivers...

In Goal:

I dont see a change. I feel theyll lose Markstrom, but think they really like having the Miller/Lack tandem whom appear to have a solid relationship. Thus chasing the college FA netminder to take over in Utica, as rumors of Eriksson going to europe persist aswell.

All that being said, there are too many bodies even if they let Matthias and Richarson walk, send McCann and Virtanen back to Junior, and leave Gaunce, Shink, and Cassels in Utica.

There will be a few deals by draft day, mark my words. There will be an effort to snap up a pick or two, but there will also be some urgency for some teams to make a significant move, and who knows what names may come available and be looking for a package of young players in return?

Im thinking that theyd like to upgrade on Bonino, or atleast bump him down to 3C. Im not sold that Kassian or Hansen will be around with the rise of Kenins, and clearly they have to make a move on a dman, not to mention if there happens to be some interest in Markstrom.

Id be fine with Willie D continue to use Horvat in the same capacity as our "4th line" play as much as most teams 3rd lines.

My proposal:

1. Markstrom for a pick

I cant see the Canucks getting much in the way of compensation for the waiver bound netminder. Hopefully he has a dominant playoff run with the Comets, and catches the eye of an NHL GM.

2. Bonino + Kassian for

Hanzal is basically the combination of Bonino and Kassians positive qualities, except hes far better on faceoffs. Hes also spent some time playing with Vrbata.

3. Stanton/Clendenning/Weber for a pick

Really like the way Weber has been playing for us, but might prove to be too expensive after scoring 11 goals. Someone has to go.

Proposed lineup:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Hanzal Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Dorsett

Kenins McCaan Hansen

Vey

Gaunce

Cassels

Shinkaruk

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Corrado

Sbisa Bieksa

Clendenning

Stanton

Really not that far off what I had proposed, really......and I pretty much agree with you evaluation 70seven

Trade #1 (either)

A) Move Bonino + Kassian + 2015 1st (Likely 23 OA) for a 10 to 12 pick overall.......(3.650,000 cap space)

or

B) Move Kassian + Hamhuis + 2015 1st (Likely 23 OA) for a 8 to 10 pick overall......(6,250,000 cap space)

Trade #2 (If A)

Hamhuis + Hansen to Edmonton for Edmonton 2nd-1st + 2nd (33 OA) ......(7,000,000 cap space)

Hey, if you don't like these ones....sorry, but something big will happen this summer, just watch, it can't stay the same, or we will loose too many assets!

Archived