The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-signing] Oilers extend Yakupov 2 years

Nice bridge contract for both parties. This is a "show me what you can do now" kind of deal. If Yak improves, he will get a raise next year on a fat contract extension. If not, he can be used as trade bait for a team looking for high calibre offensive skills with huge upside and still a few more years to go before reaching his prime. A win-win for both the Oilers and Yak

Edmontons forwards all the same types of players. Average size, lots of skill, but not strong on the boards. I'll admit I'll take Yak over Kessel, at least Yak stays in shape.

What Edmonton needs is a Ryan Johansen type player, and an Ekman-Larsson on the back end (or two). Nurse might be part of the solution for the rearguard. That's my fear if they get McDavid. That he'll get bashed around because there's few players with size on Edmonton that know how to use it.

Yak looked done earlier in the year. At 53 games played, he had only 13 points! And was a -26!!!

But in the last 28 games had 9 goals and 20 points - a 26-goal, 59-point pace. So still showing glimpses of being an impact player.

Yak looked done earlier in the year. At 53 games played, he had only 13 points! And was a -26!!!

But in the last 28 games had 9 goals and 20 points - a 26-goal, 59-point pace. So still showing glimpses of being an impact player.

Can you imagine how scary the Oilers would look next season if they had people with half a brain running that organization? With all the talent they have up front, all it would take is to trade Eberle for a legitimate defenseman and they would instantly be a better team.

Hell, last off-season, they didn't even have to trade any legitimate players to get better. Garth Snow noticed that the Bruins and Blackhawks were in huge bind got Leddy and Boychuk without giving up any roster players. What did the Oilers do? Nikita Nikitin.

Derek Roy really saved his career. He was on quite the tear when Derek joined him, and he'll need a strong passing center and defensively capable through his career to succeed as the one-trick pony he is (strong scoring potential, weak everywhere else). For his potential I'd say the deal is well worth it for Edmonton, but...

You gotta wonder how long it's gonna be until the Oil realize they need to balance out the roster with impact defensemen, the likes of which they could get by trading one of their abundance of top wingers? Instead, they're stuck with skilled softies like Yak, Ebbs, R.N.H. and Justin "No Norris" Schultz on the back end.

Archived