The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What does a 2nd pick buy you? (Discussion)

Well first off, I sure wish I could cut and paste, but my Lap Top hates me! And the answer to the question is not much!

Since June 30, 2013 the following trades have been done with only a 2nd round pick.

Tyler Kennedy, 2013 2nd, 3rd and 4th, 2013 2nd and 3rd, 2013 3rd, 4th, and 5th, 2013 3rd, 4th and 5th, 2013 3rd and 4th, Devin Setoguchi, David Runblad and Mat Brisebois, Reto Berra, Linden Vey

(I high lighted every second trade, just for ease of reading)

Anyways, I just figured I would go back and check and see what will a 2nd get you, and for the most part not much. Even our most current 2nd Rounder (Baertschi) was basically given to us because Calgary had given up on him.

So when we start talking about trading some of our Canucks....think bigger in my opinion.......I read a lot of posts that infer that our guys are not worth anything, and I have to say, even our 3rd and 4th line players have value.

After looking at what has been given for a 2nd, I have a little trouble giving away our players....players like Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Bieska, are all worth 2nds.

Which really underlines the value of greater valued players such as Miller, Hamhuis, Lack, Kassian, etc. Where Firsts and combinations of 1st + 2nd's and 2-2nds etc should be considered.

This is post is not about trades, but rather values.

Take note that Linden Vey, could not break LA's line up, and was worth a 2nd, now that he has played in the NHL as a rookie and scored 10+ goals, he should still be worth a 2nd......

My point is people have to stop under valuing our players, or even other NHL players for that matter, as 2nd's have not played in the NHL and likely won't.....the player has of coarse, have!

Just saying!

Anyways, I just figured I would go back and check and see what will a 2nd get you, and for the most part not much. Even our most current 2nd Rounder (Baertschi) was basically given to us because Chicago had given up on him.

Chicago

Chicago

CHICAGO

The thing is, when will these players be worth a 2nd?

It all depends on the demand for that type of player. Unfortunately the time to get good value for a player is during the deadline, where players are worth exponentially more. At the draft you aren't going to take home nearly as much as you would at deadline.

That being said, its difficult deciding who's worth what, and if the return is good enough to trade said player.

The thing is, when will these players be worth a 2nd?

It all depends on the demand for that type of player. Unfortunately the time to get good value for a player is during the deadline, where players are worth exponentially more. At the draft you aren't going to take home nearly as much as you would at deadline.

That being said, its difficult deciding who's worth what, and if the return is good enough to trade said player.

This is true, but you are also able to get more teams into the mix due to salary cap flexibility. It's a balance between value and participants I guess. The other thing is that a UFA isn't going to be worth much at the draft unless it's a high-end UFA like Hamhuis, while at the TD the player can fetch a 2nd or 3rd to help a team push for the Cup.

You are quick XBOX......I posted and immediately saw my error and corrected, but you got me! Man are you something! Wow!

lel

funny thing is I barely post anymore and I just happened to stumble across this at the right time.

The one name janis mentioned that I disagree about is Miller.

As the eloquent philosopher Bobby Lu once pointed out, when looking at trading a player a contract can suck.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't conceive of a 35 yo (as of the start of the 2015-16 season) goalie who disappointed in St Louis, had average save % and GAA with the Canucks (with an excellent W-L record and good shutout number, though) who is coming off a knee injury and makes $6 million per for the next 2 years fetching a 2nd, at least without salary being retained which lowers the value of the cap hit reduction Canucks would get trading him.

Much as I've written about disagreeing with the Miller signing and about Lack being the only Canuck goalie with much in the way of trade value (considering contracts) my current expectation (not much more than a guess, really) is that Canucks will keep Miller and Lack.

Some of the players janis named have no trade clauses which can mean they stay put or can lower the value obtained for them, but in theory any of them could, for the right team at the right time in the right circumstances, fetch a 2nd.

I think your point about Miller and Lack is mostly spot on Tyhee. I think that there would be a chance that Vancouver either pays part of the cap or trades Lack....not much of one, but a chance.

As for Jan's point if I understand him properly, is that the picks and players traded were really not that much in demand and really were not even middle of the Row players.

In my opinion, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen all move freely up and down the line up and really 2/3 types of players and honestly probably worth more than Vey or Baertschi. Both these players were basically given up on by their organizations. None of the 3 have been since they were brought here, and really only Higgins could fall into Baertschi level, although, he is proven and Baer is not.

And just for the record I never really liked the Miller signing either,

The one name janis mentioned that I disagree about is Miller.

As the eloquent philosopher Bobby Lu once pointed out, when looking at trading a player a contract can suck.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't conceive of a 35 yo (as of the start of the 2015-16 season) goalie who disappointed in St Louis, had average save % and GAA with the Canucks (with an excellent W-L record and good shutout number, though) who is coming off a knee injury and makes $6 million per for the next 2 years fetching a 2nd, at least without salary being retained which lowers the value of the cap hit reduction Canucks would get trading him.

Much as I've written about disagreeing with the Miller signing and about Lack being the only Canuck goalie with much in the way of trade value (considering contracts) my current expectation (not much more than a guess, really) is that Canucks will keep Miller and Lack.

Some of the players janis named have no trade clauses which can mean they stay put or can lower the value obtained for them, but in theory any of them could, for the right team at the right time in the right circumstances, fetch a 2nd.

I actually disagree. $6m is fair for a starting goalie. If he were 36 and only had 1 year left I would agree. But I think there is a team out there who would take Miller without salary retained. IMHO I wouldn't trade Miller. I'm %100 confident with Miller/Lack going into the playoffs. I doubt we'd be in the playoffs with Lack/Markstrom.

Archived