The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comparing 2011 and 2015 Teams and Seeing if We Have a Shot

DhillonCanuck

Comparisons  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Line 1: 2011 (pretty obvious)

Line 2: 2011 (was iffy on this one, but Kesler scored 41 and Samuelsson was still doing well)

Line 3: 2015

Line 4: 2015

Voted 2011

Yes we have a shot. All 16 teams do. Anything can happen!

although I think 2011 team is a far superior team to the 2015, I also believe that if the 2012 New Jersey Devils can make it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals, so can the 2015 Vancouver Canucks. we did very well with the given injuries to them.

Yup, for this years team it's all about the matchups. And I think the Flames is a damned good start to that.

2011, 2011, 2015, 2015.

Its hard to say our 2011 wasn't better. Our team was just too dominate and using techniques rarely seen in the NHL at the time. I love the heart of our team this year though. I like being a sort of Underdog

I like our bottom 6 better but our second line is weaker without kesler

I also like our style (coaching)better. I think we can defend better with a team defense and roll out four lines better.

I think we will benefit from experience.

In 2011 the biggest thing that bothered me was the first round and almost blowing it against the Hawks. Had we taken them out in 4 like we should have we would have had alot better gas in the tank and not been so banged up in the final.

What worries me about our 2015 team is the inability to take out weak teams. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see us go up 3-0to the flames and then relax and allow them to come storming back. If we can really focus and take them out in 4 and have a good rest that will mean everything for the balance of the playoffs.

I like our bottom 6 better but our second line is weaker without kesler

I also like our style (coaching)better. I think we can defend better with a team defense and roll out four lines better.

I think we will benefit from experience.

In 2011 the biggest thing that bothered me was the first round and almost blowing it against the Hawks. Had we taken them out in 4 like we should have we would have had alot better gas in the tank and not been so banged up in the final.

What worries me about our 2015 team is the inability to take out weak teams. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see us go up 3-0to the flames and then relax and allow them to come storming back. If we can really focus and take them out in 4 and have a good rest that will mean everything for the balance of the playoffs.

I agree that a lot hinges on the first round. Get out fast with as little effort as possible. Unfortunately, first rounds can often be pretty tough - especially with fairly even teams like Vancouver and Calgary. At least the travel won't be as much of a factor like when playing Chicago.

It's not even close, and you got the lines wrong anyway.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond Kesler Samuelsson

Torres Malhotra Hansen

Higgins Lapierre Glass

I'm trying to remember the 3rd and 4th lines exactly, but the second line was what we had for the most part that season. After the Malhotra injury, Lappy moved up and Hodgson stepped in.

But 2011 was far greater than this year's team as the twins were 90-100+ point players, Burrows was a 30+ goal scorer, Kesler was a legit Selke candidate 2nd line center, Raymond and Samuelsson were having career years, Malhotra was the 3rd line center we'd been searching for, Torres and Hansen were effective, Lapierre was a first class agitator for the 4th and we had the depth to have someone like Higgins on the 4th.

And that was only our forwards, but then you put Ehrhoff and Edler together with Salo also for the PP, Hamhuis and Bieksa in their prime (and Ballard, Rome, Alberts and then Tanev - who was just starting to play - as depth) and Luongo in net with Schneider behind and it's a clear win for 2011.

But then you can add the statistical achievements of being the top team in the league in the standings, PP, goals for/against, etc. and we were heads and tails above most teams in the league. That's not the case now.

Now, we're a good team and a young team developing and winning by playing a quality game aided by some still solid players. What we aren't is so good that we're favourites in any way, so it doesn't even make sense to compare the two teams.

This team is deeper. This team is more talented. This team is more experienced.

The sedins play a more complete game than ever.

Our only slight weaknesses compared to 2011 in my opinion is

- Too many question marks in net. In 2011 Vancouver clearly had the best goalie in the West. That being said, Eddie or Miller can step up and fill those shoes. They've both shown they can all year.

- Second line center isn't as good. That being said... He's as good if not better of a penalty killer and where the points are missed - they'll be replaced by others

- D might not be as good top 4, but 5, 6, 7, 8... Much better depth.

This team is a contender. We all know it takes a lot to win a cup. If things go right, we'll all be parading down Georgia.

2011 team was better, but for some reason this year the team seems to be playing better as a team and having more fun with it. I think a lot hinges on the fact there is less pressure. We we're good down the stretch, and I think our bottom six can be much better in the sense of being better to match up with toughness and have the opportunity to be able to score goals more. Second line is much weaker, but the bottom 9 our all together more defensively reliable. If Kassian and Richardson come back, with the call ups we have of Baertschi to inject a bit more offense if we need, we will not get as physically dominated against a big strong team such as Winnipeg or a team like the 2011 bruins. 2011 team is better, but this team seems to play with a young naivety and hopefulness thats refreshing to see.

People automatically crown the 2011 sedins over the sedins of today just because of points.

They faced easier competition. The league in general had much lower scoring Champs this year. The sedins are tougher, smarter, in better shape and have more drive than ever.

2015 twins > 2011 twins.

Hope they prove me right in the playoffs

People automatically crown the 2011 sedins over the sedins of today just because of points.

They faced easier competition. The league in general had much lower scoring Champs this year. The sedins are tougher, smarter, in better shape and have more drive than ever.

2015 twins > 2011 twins.

Hope they prove me right in the playoffs

I think you are right. However I don't think burrows is as good as he was and if we put vrbata up with the twins our second line is weaker.

All I can say is: ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. There have been a good number of times that a mediocre team has been carried to the cup by an insanely hot goalie who manages to get into the other teams' heads, make them think twice, then make the save when it matters.

This old ass, half talent, midget did it to the Canucks a few years ago.

Anything can happen. 2011 roster was more stacked, 2015 has a far better story and "karma"..

I don't care how many points the twins put up during the regular season in 2011.they look and seem different this year. They seem to have push back and fight in their game. This and a vastly improved 4th line will be the different maker this year. I also think the 2nd line looks better as an overall line with Vrbata

Have to agree with Apollo about the Sedins. They just look more complete this year, where as in 2011 they were kind of one dimensional, all be it very good in that one dimension.

This year they are different. They look more versatile in their game, in the way that they PK sometimes, and get kind of physical here and there. They look more like leaders, by example and by voice. I guess all those years in the playoffs has taught them well.

I expect a very good Sedin-Sedin-Burrows line starting Wednesday night. A lot of media and analysts are going to be quite surprised IMO

The 2011 team led the league in virtually every category that year.

The correct answer is the 2011 team, and it's not close.

OK it's not pasting well on my phone but just look. That division was weak... Only Vancouver made the playoffs from the Northwest.

Don't get me wrong. Not bashing the 2011 team. In my opinion one of the top 3 nhl teams assembled in the post cap era and the division was weak because Vancouver was the juggernaut pummelling those sorry teams. But their competition has been far stiffer this year and playing under a new system. They've gotten rolling and they are as good if not better than the 2011 team overall.

NORTHWESTGPWLOTPROW

1VANCOUVER p825419911750

2CALGARY824129129432

3MINNESOTA82393588636

4COLORADO82304486824

5EDMONTON822545126223

Archived