The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comparing 2011 and 2015 Teams and Seeing if We Have a Shot

DhillonCanuck

Comparisons  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You just have to take Apollo for what he is - a homer caricature and then his posts will be less aggravating. He hates trolls so plays the opposite

character online. He doesn't really believe any of the stuff he says and it's just an online persona he created to combat trolls.

Perhaps, in some kind of twisted world, that's what this "friendly game of words, needs.

(sorry, I'm not sure if playing Batman before NHL 15 is a great idea. I keep trying to use my batarang to smack 76'ish 25 year olds)

Wtf is wavers? "See ya!! *wave*"

While our core is arguably not as good, the big positive difference for 2015 may be the health of some our depth players going in. In 2011, Malhotra was done. And it looked like Samuelsson was pretty much spent by playoff time. And Salo did well to a point, but it was only a matter of time before he broke.

This time it seems to be Kassian who's the big question mark. And Richardson. (I think both could play if needed.) But the quality of their replacements is higher this time. In 2011 we tried Tambellini, we had Coho wathing, we had to play Tanner glass 20 games, and even Bolduc had to dress. Not great. This time we have a lot more decent weapons at our disposal at the depth level, with the biggest eye-rolls coming for Vey, who's still scored 10 goals as a rook.

Also, you don't have much cap space being wasted this time. Ballard was a detriment in the playoffs. $4mil. Raymond didn't do too much. Oreskovich hit guys, but couldn't do anything with the puck, Rome, Alberts, Glass... Some character, but not a lot of skill. This time it's as-if everyone is onboard. We ditched Sestito, a puck-suck goon. We acquired Baertschi, who has raw skill. All of our defense is able to play on both sides of the puck.

We have some skilled size in our ranks, and that's what we sorely missed in 2011 with Malhotra out. I think Matthias is going to be a playoff hero for us.

If Vrbata is on our '2nd line' now, then we have some pretty good scoring depth.

The Horvat line is a revelation. Kenins came out of the blue as an advanced version of Oreskovich who won't quit the game at the drop of a hat. Our 7th-leading scorer is on the '4th line'.

As of right now we don't have a wild-eyed wingnut running around trying to take heads off of guys, and if it turns out that we do need that element, we can insert one into a series at any time.

No, we don't have Kesler, but Bonino has proven to be a versatile stand-in who'll give it his all imho. By all rights he should be out for the season with all the shot blocks he's been making, but he's a trooper.

We have the power of Higgins' beard, which should not be underestimated.

Dorsett is a winger version of Lapierre. I think he'll score some timely goals, he won't take a ton of useless penalties, and he'll instill toughness when needed.

Tanev is arguably better overall than any defenseman we had in 2011, including his younger self. Guy is a defense brainiac. A modern day Rod Langway.

Stanton is a spare part and is 300% better than any of the spare part d-men we had in 2011.

Sbisa is a truck. Calgary's softer forwards are going to find this out in a big way.

Miller and Lack have put up the best goaltending tandem season we've ever had, with no drama at all. HUGE PLUS!

The only thing we might want to keep an eye on is Burrows' antics and the state of Dan Hamhuis' play. Burrows needs to play with an edge, but not go over it and be smart and Hamhuis I feel can be beast or burden.

I have to hand it to Linden and Benning. They put together a tremendous regular season. Now it's time to take it all the way and win us our first cup.

The best thing about 2015 though is that every other team in the NHL is beatable. There's no clear favorite. There's no beast out east. There's no force in the west that can shut down the Sedins so easily. The central teams will hammer each other to oblivion and the pacific is easy. So the cup is ours for the taking.

This is the year.

We're On a Mission from God.

2011 team is like>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2015.

on top of that you didn't even consider goaltending and defence which is 2011>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2015.

Defence was by far much stronger, far more versatile, and we had 4 dmans that can play offence, with, the bottom 6 guys "capable" of playing an offensive role if called upon too.

The difference really is mostly in the defence, the goalie, and mid-pack depth.

This is at FireGillis and Elvis

You just have to take Apollo for what he is - a homer caricature and then his posts will be less aggravating. He hates trolls so plays the opposite character online. He doesn't really believe any of the stuff he says and it's just an online persona he created to combat trolls.

Yea I don't believe any of the stuff I say and none of it has been right

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/362641-is-it-just-me-or-can-we-actually-compete-in-the-pacific/#entry12288281

.... Oh... Lol?

And yes I do say extreme things sometimes to counteract the trolls but this isn't one of them.

The sedins play a more complete game in 2015 than they did in 2011. They are in better shape and they are more valuable to this team than they were in 2011.

The sedins play a more complete game in 2015 than they did in 2011. They are in better shape and they are more valuable to this team than they were in 2011.

If the Sedins were more valuable than they were in 2011, then why did vrbata win the team MVP award? Sedins have certainly been better than expected this year but aren't at their 2011 level of play.

If the Sedins were more valuable than they were in 2011, then why did vrbata win the team MVP award? Sedins have certainly been better than expected this year but aren't at their 2011 level of play.

Because everyone wanted to vote for the shiny new toy that scored goals.

Not knocking vrby just calling it like it is. Fans voted... Same fans that said this core is stale and washed up... Same fans that ran luongo out of town... Etc etc. I don't respect the opinion of all fans. Lot of them have no clue.

I think what Appollo is saying is the Twins are more well rounded players than they were in 2011. Maybe a little stronger mentally and play with a little more of an edge then before. It looks like they are able to lead the team out of advercity as they did quite well for a team that had key injuries throughout the year and still managed to make the playoffs. I did see an improvement in consistancy which to me comes from the leadership of the team. They still started some games a little flat but were able to pick it up later in the game to win. They are not the cycle kings they once were but they have improved in the intagibles which hopefully will be the edge needed that we lacked in 2011.

Archived