The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthius should be a priority for Benning.

messier's_elbow

How many big men can pull away from a d-man on a break away? He has size and speed and can play C. JB will resign him if possible because he has had a great year and the up coming depth have not proven any

thing yet. He can sign Matthias and move him if it doesn't work out.

Matthias's season has been dogged by injury but also by who he plays with. Earlier in the season

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian showed huge potential as they dominated ozone play but did not capitalize as much as they should have. IMO that potential still exists. Matthias is a 3LW but could possibly make

2LW with the right circumstances. As suggested previously if Matthias was physically more aggressive his game would be more rounded and it would also help his offense.

Matthias will be exposed to playoff hockey which should stand him in good stead next fall. Most up and

coming NHL teams all have size. Van has to be big to compete. Playoffs is not regular season. A good

playoff is critical for Matthias.

Looch would be an instant fan favorite and thats a given. Looch-Bones-Vrbata..Looch Horvat-Kassian who wouldn't like that.

Lucic cannot keep up on a slow Boston team. He would run out of gas in the West. He has seen his best days.

Meh...

We probably can't afford him after this season and he doesn't utilize his size enough to be a "must have".We also don't have room for him and there are prospects pushing for spots.

Frankly I'd rather give Virtanen a shot than bring Matthias back. I actually wish we'd traded him at the deadline.

Lucic cannot keep up on a slow Boston team. He would run out of gas in the West. He has seen his best days.

In this conference you need players that score from the dirty nasty areas in front of the net. Lucic is built for this division, nobody hits harder than he does with the exception of maybe Byfugly.

He's only played one playoff series, and not with a very good team, so how he adjusts in this short amount of time will tell us a lot about how much we need him going forward.

I imagine he is chomping at the bit to get going so if he is motivated and well prepared he might make a strong case for himself to be a priority in the offseason.

Based off of his regular season only, I don't think we can say he is a MUST re-signing. He had a decent season but didn't make major waves. His inability to utilize his linemates at times, and to finish his checks, left some big holes in his game. If he ups his tempo and drive he might have another gear. I believe even he doesn't know yet.

This post is not going to be very popular; this board hates Matthias. I myself appreciate what Matthias has been bringing to the team and think that hes a potential 2nd liner for us.

Not to mention WD hates his guts. I dont think you can find anywhere in the NHL where your 3rd goal scorer is playing the lowest minutes among your team's forwards. Not to mention he kills a ton of penalties, aka even less minutes.

Benning should do everything in his power to keep Matthius if he has a good playoffs. Guys like this are very hard to replace at 6'4 with speed and some skill. He had 18 goals and would have probably had 20+ if it wasnt for health reasons. Id give him a 3 year 11 million dollar deal. If Toronto or some other bone head offers him like 5 mill per year and hes money hungry then forget it though. Move parts around if you have to for a signing to happen, we need more draft picks anyways. I think we could have got Sbisa for a tad less since hes restricted and then traded Higgins for picks and had the money to keep this guy here.

I would agree if only he has a dominant playoffs man, dont know if we will have the cap room or roster space with more youth being infused next year and the Dorsett signing.

CDC users are actually the tunnel visioned ones.

Seriously, he has a pretty solid season despite another injury, plays a very key role as C and brings INTANGIBLES that can only help him, and he is apparently a waste? A smart, versatile guy who makes transitional plays along the boards quick and painless...

He is a very good center for a team like VAN, whose D-corps needs a trailer forward to give them passing options.

Why do people STILL underrate great skaters? damn maybe it's time to bump my old Matthias thread...

Archived