The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthius should be a priority for Benning.

messier's_elbow

Well I can tell you one fan that would boo him every time he stepped on the ice. He's no favourite of mine and the Canucks should have more class.

I don't believe you. You are just chest thumping. No one I know cares about being classy over winning.

Benning should do everything in his power to keep Matthius if he has a good playoffs. Guys like this are very hard to replace at 6'4 with speed and some skill. He had 18 goals and would have probably had 20+ if it wasnt for health reasons. Id give him a 3 year 11 million dollar deal. If Toronto or some other bone head offers him like 5 mill per year and hes money hungry then forget it though. Move parts around if you have to for a signing to happen, we need more draft picks anyways. I think we could have got Sbisa for a tad less since hes restricted and then traded Higgins for picks and had the money to keep this guy here.

Is he related to MATTHIAS ?

Agree 100% man, been saying forever to the people harping on Kassian for not using his body. Shawn doesn't use his body nearly enough.

Yeah, and right after the trade deadline his play seemed to drop off quite a bit.

He's a good pker and can put up some points, but Baertschi will put up more next season and we have enough pkers.

I think he should get ~2.5m, like what Higgins makes. Otherwise it's an overpayment. If however he proves to be huge in this playoffs then I guess we'll see.

Every guy goes through cold phases during a season but it is worrisome how much he cooled off. Too early to tell right now on if he's worth a re-signing or not. Obviously Benning feels the same way and we'll have to wait and see.

Mathias is on the wait-and-see podium. If he performs lights out in the post season, then he can move up the podium and garner more of a look for re-signing. If he remains cold, then let him walk and fill his spot with some youth next year. V18 will be pushing hard to fill his spot, and I, for one, would much rather have a rookie in Virtanan fill his spot on the cheap then pay Mathias what he will likely be asking.

Looch would be an instant fan favorite and thats a given. Looch-Bones-Vrbata..Looch Horvat-Kassian who wouldn't like that.

Where are you going to find room for a 6 million dollar cap hit. Since he's making just over six million for next year?

He only has 2 more points the Dorsett in 1 less game, less physical, less intensity, presumably less leadership as dorsett is always mentioned in that category by brass. Similar age. Matthias is in the category of nice body but what can you do with it....Doesn't play like a big man Should.

I like him as a player but shouldn't get more than 2.5per. My fear is we pay him David Booth money and get David Booth production.

I think these players need to be on the bubble for Benning : Weber, Higgins, Burrows, Bieksa, Mathias, Richardson These players need to show this organization they can play solid come playoffs. I personally know what these players will do in the playoffs I'm just waiting for it to come into fruition.

I understand what your getting at Desilboynux but what you see or expect from a player may not be the same for Benning. This is Bieksa and Burrows 7th post season with this organization. How much do they need to prove? If they haven't shown up for the past post season do you really expect anything different? I'm pretty sure Richardson knows what it takes in the post season since he has a ring to show for it back 2012.

I Look at it another way. Benning and Linden have a plan in place from day one. These players could have a great post season and still may not be in their plans for next year.

Matthias is hard to assess at this point imo, which is probably why he remains unsigned.

He has played a notably "smaller" game since returning from that unsuspended cheapshot elbow that Robidas threw.

To that point Matthias was playing a harder game - more aggressive, harder on the boards - not necessarily running people or throwing a lot of hits (that's not really his m.o.) but still, more of a power presence.

The second half he's been playing his share of uninspired hockey. Part of that might be situational - he has played a lot of minutes with Vey and on a certain level, I suspect that WD has tasked that line with simply holding their own and not hurting the team - which is not a criticism, but Vey has had to handle a lot of tough matchups - I suspect they were encouraged to take care of their own end and not concern themselves a great deal with providing the scoring, which the other three lines were certainly capable of.

Matthias also played notably bigger with Kassian on the other wing - they were a hell of a line to handle in the short stint when they were both healthy - together with Richardson, that line had some real moxy.

So for me it's a combination of how healthy has Matthias been down the stretch, and what has his role truly been? I'd like to see him step up the heavy side of his game, particularly in the playoffs, but if his bell is still ringing, that may not be that realistic. In any event, looking back on what he, Richardson and Kassian looked like, it's hard to not want to give him another look. I think however, that entering negotiations he'd need to focus less on the fact that he had 18 goals and more on the fact that he'd probably need to re-sign on fairly team-friendly terms for it to make sense for the Canucks. I personally don't value him as highly as HIggins, Hansen, Dorsett - so if he's willing to come in around 2 million, slightly higher than what he's been making, I think there may be a chance for him to remain a Canuck.

Benning should do everything in his power to keep Matthius if he has a good playoffs. ...

If I were going to create a thread on someone, I'd be more worried about spelling their name right than I would about what management was thinking. He's a good player, yes, but he's not the be all and end all for this team. If the offensive success he's had causes him to really drive up his price then we may have no choice but to let him go if we can't make room some other way.

If Benning hasn't signed him yet,I'm kind of the belief that he will be elsewhere next season...He does utilize his size when it comes to reach and does not shy away from the physical stuff,but still borders on a finesse player with size.....He's seems like a real genuine team guy as well,but may be a luxury we cannot afford.

As far as I'm concerned, Matthias is a bottom 6 winger, I don't really like him at center at all, he gets a little too passive and he's not the greatest puck distributor.

If he can play like he did in a couple of those Anaheim games and he doesn't mind getting paid like a bottom 6 winger, the Canucks could find a spot for him. If everything goes according to plan, there's going to be a log jam coming soon in the middle, probably not next year but it's coming and that will probably factor in.

Archived