The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthius should be a priority for Benning.

messier's_elbow

Yeah, and right after the trade deadline his play seemed to drop off quite a bit.

He's a good pker and can put up some points, but Baertschi will put up more next season and we have enough pkers.

Well said man, ya he hasn't done much of anything the last couple of months. If he blows us away this postseason than why not, but I dont see him coming back

Cap issues galore.

Why do you keep bitching about cap issues?

Benning and Linden OBVIOUSLY have a plan going forward. I mean, sure, it's an "issue" that already has a plan to correct it, it's not a problem. I literally don't know why you keep bitching about it and trying to spin it off as something that we should actually be worrying about.

He only has 2 more points the Dorsett in 1 less game, less physical, less intensity, presumably less leadership as dorsett is always mentioned in that category by brass. Similar age. Matthias is in the category of nice body but what can you do with it....Doesn't play like a big man Should.

I like him as a player but shouldn't get more than 2.5 per. My fear is we pay him David Booth money and get David Booth production.

Hmm interesting perspective, didn't notice that until now (18-9-27 for Shawn in 78, 25 pt. in 79 for Derek).

As someone who wanted Shawn signed (for his scoring upside) and Derek let go and replaced by another, cheaper 4th liner (crappy corsi and heavy cap for 4th liner) I could see why J.B. would have wanted a meat-and-potatoes, all-round guy with lower upside in Dorsett over a 1st-line shooting but 4th-line everything-else Matthias (not saying it's necessarily the best decision, but I digress).

Then again, I think most fans would've been happy with either guy staying since, to be frank, Matthias would have been the more effective fill-in for the top-6 for nearly the same money ($2.5 M per sounds about right) and that offensive depth does make a difference, make no mistake about it. However, Derek does have value as a strong 4th liner who brings that needed sandpaper, plus we could legitimately roll four lines with guys like him, Horvat and Hansen as our bottom-line guys (corsi notwithstanding).

Long story short, if we don't move anyone it'd be interesting to see if Shawn stays, since there are some strong candidates competing with him for those top-9 left wing spots (don't see his long-term future as a center):

Danny (not displacing him)

Baertschi (cheaper, waiver-eligible next season and has top-6 potential)

Burr (could play on the right side but depends with whom the Twins line up)

Higgins (strong 3rd line left-wing/ decent 2nd liner)

The reason why Baertschi was called up was to see if he can replace Matthias. And I think JB, TL, and most of the fans will agree that the answer is yes.

Baertschi will be able to take over the second line LW spot starting next season and push Higgins down to 3LW.

Besides, Matthias will look for around $3million dollars, which I think is puts him at non affordable level. With that money, I'd rather get us a good center to replace Richardson or if none is available, just re-sign Richardson.

Well I can tell you one fan that would boo him every time he stepped on the ice. He's no favourite of mine and the Canucks should have more class.

Why? Is it because he pushed us around in 2011? Is it becasue he ran Ryan Miller? His arrogance? His intimidating play? Are you upset that he got angry when a group of idiotic Vancouverites vandalized his parents church? Or that he vented after some a-hole tried to fight him in Vancouver and it was caught on tape?

The comments he made about never going downtown again where immature and irrational, but given the torment he gets in this city, and his age, I'll give him a pass - especially when he did the right thing and chose not to take that db's head off in the middle of Granville St.

Landing a hometown boy and a Vancouver Giant's legend would be a good thing for this franchise. The bigger question is - Can he still be an effective player, and is he worth the money?

Why? Is it because he pushed us around in 2011? Is it becasue he ran Ryan Miller? His arrogance? His intimidating play? Are you upset that he got angry when a group of idiotic Vancouverites vandalized his parents church? Or that he vented after some a-hole tried to fight him in Vancouver and it was caught on tape?

The comments he made about never going downtown again where immature and irrational, but given the torment he gets in this city, and his age, I'll give him a pass - especially when he did the right thing and chose not to take that db's head off in the middle of Granville St.

Landing a hometown boy and a Vancouver Giant's legend would be a good thing for this franchise. The bigger question is - Can he still be an effective player, and is he worth the money?

Milan Lucic is 26 years old and thinks it's okay to slash other people in the nuts... Not the kind of player I personally want on this team. Personal opinions aside, having him here would undermine the better image this team is trying to foster and go against the whole "wanting people who want to be here" thing, unless he's expressed any interest in Vancouver post-2011. The most hated team in the league, gets one of the most hated players, the stuff Lucic pulls (like the instances that got him branded the name "Nuthunter") wouldn't fly for a Vancouver player without Bettman's bias. We'd get whistles for breathing in the enemy zone.

I have to assume having Lucic in the locker room will be as wonderful as having Kes there late last year, if the rumours are true.

Not really sure where a lot of you are coming from, but Matthias is the only bottom 6er other than Hansen that can actually finish. If we can lock him up cheap enough, do it. I personally think his depth scoring will be a huge key to success for us in these playoffs. If he can score goals at the same pace he did during the season, that takes pressure off the big guns. I also expect more intensity from his game this time of the year.

I agree we need to see what he can do in the playoffs. I think how Kass does as well will dictate how essential Matthias is to this team. If Kass can be a dominate physical force in the playoffs that will make Matthias a little more redundant. I am hoping though that he is one of those players who step it up in the playoffs which will be critical in how far we can go.

I have seen what players such as Burrows,Higgins and Hansen can do post season but I am more interested to see what players such as Horvat,Kenins,Bonino,Kassian and Matthias will do.

It depends on if they hancuff some of these guys with Vey. I don't think they actually want some guys to play better than Vey. Oh well Calgary has Mason Raymond, and we have Vey and he is even smaller.

Not really sure where a lot of you are coming from, but Matthias is the only bottom 6er other than Hansen that can actually finish. If we can lock him up cheap enough, do it. I personally think his depth scoring will be a huge key to success for us in these playoffs. If he can score goals at the same pace he did during the season, that takes pressure off the big guns. I also expect more intensity from his game this time of the year.

But do you really think he's going to take a 'cheap' deal coming off an 18 goal season?

But do you really think he's going to take a 'cheap' deal coming off an 18 goal season?

Somebody's likely to offer him $3.5m-$4m X say 4 years and yet people are arguing whether or not we should sign him for $2.5. Good luck with that :rolleyes:

Why do you keep bitching about cap issues?

Benning and Linden OBVIOUSLY have a plan going forward. I mean, sure, it's an "issue" that already has a plan to correct it, it's not a problem. I literally don't know why you keep bitching about it and trying to spin it off as something that we should actually be worrying about.

As opposed to going backward?

mattias is cushy soft to play against. His hits are usually accidental.

We have good young wingers so let' s get them in the lineup asap.

I'd like to see Sven in now!

Personally from what I've seen lately, if we were going to slot Sven in over anybody, it would be Matthias. Bump Higgins down to the Richardson line and put Baer on the Bonino line.

Not that I think that's actually going to happen but good golly Matthias was pissing me off last night with his middling, permiter play. He had I think one hit last night and even that was half-assed. A guy that size, with his speed should be wreaking havoc and laying the body. He's been about as physical as Vey lately. And GO TO THE @#$%'ing NET!!

I was all for resigning him but watching him yesterday really frustrated me. Big body - strong guy... plays like hes 5'6 and 130lbs...

if he wanted to make a difference he can but I don't think he will... he's just a big soft forward - we don't need those in the west.

Archived