The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthius should be a priority for Benning.

messier's_elbow

With his size, I wish he has the guts to play a tougher game....too bad he doesn't. Maybe he feels that he does not have someone to back him up since we don't have any legit tough guy. Guys like Nathan Horton wasn't too tough when he was with the CBJ, then suddenly became a tough character when he put on the Burins jersey.

At this point of his career, he plays like a bigger Mason Raymond....

With his size, I wish he has the guts to play a tougher game....too bad he doesn't. Maybe he feels that he does not have someone to back him up since we don't have any legit tough guy. Guys like Nathan Horton wasn't too tough when he was with the CBJ, then suddenly became a tough character when he put on the Burins jersey.

At this point of his career, he plays like a bigger Mason Raymond....

talking about mayray ... how about burrows last game !! I have never seen him fall so much before..

Matthias scored 20+ goals this season and one of the only players to score a hat-trick. Guy was huge for us for a lot of the season. He's played mediocre at best recently, but you have to consider the entire season.

Edit:

Which isn't over yet.

Why do you keep bitching about cap issues?

Benning and Linden OBVIOUSLY have a plan going forward. I mean, sure, it's an "issue" that already has a plan to correct it, it's not a problem. I literally don't know why you keep bitching about it and trying to spin it off as something that we should actually be worrying about.

When people talk about not signing Matthias because of the cap hit, they aren't doubting that Canucks management has some plan.

They are expressing the view that the most logical plan appears to include not signing Matthias.

You can disagree and suggest alternatives if you wish. There is a huge disparity in the opinions on the importance of Matthias to the Canucks in the future and so there are some who believe it makes more sense to try to move other players and sign Matthias.

I'm in the camp of those that believe that there are better uses for the money that Matthias is likely to command this offseason, despite his size, speed, pk work, how fantastic he looks rushing the net and his 18 goals. The issue, as with many players, isn't whether Matthias has the tools or whether he's a useful player, but whether he's consistent enough to be worth the money his unusal physical skills and 18 goals will command.

Another way of looking at it is to consider who might play LW for the Canucks next year. I think we can assume Daniel will be 1st line LW and Baertschi, out of waiver exemption, will be in the lineup as well. Baertschi, who played 2nd line LW the last couple of games of the season, has been said by WD to be better with offensive players.

Mathias hasn't stuck in the 2nd line role this year.

My guess is that we seen Daniel on the 1st line, Baertschi on the 2nd, Higgins on the 3rd and that leaves the 4th line spot which could be filled by Matthias (but he'll be awfully expensive for a 4th line winger) or Kenins or Gaunce or perhaps someone else. Matthias is by far the most expensive option.

If there is anybody out there that thinks Matthias makes more sense as a 3rd line LW than Higgins (consistent, hard working, very good defensively and still with a bit of pop on offense) than we're living in worlds of totally different perceptions.

I'll be the first one to say shawn had a much better game today - had a few decent hits.. controlled play well.. a way better game for him and the 3rd line overall... definitely happy about his performance today..

Still too soft needs to play with an edge if you want to be bottom six come playoff time.

Matthias is the only guy on the team who should be playing physical but is not consistently.

Archived