The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruins fire Chiarelli

goalie13

Chiarelli won't go to Toronto. Shannahan will have the puppet strings firmly in hand, along with I believe Steve Staios whom he hired as AGM. Whoever ends up in Toronto will have to be a collaborative guy, and be willing to work with what's already in place.

Chiarelli is more of a "I'm the man" kind of GM.

I think the biggest thing that happens this summer, is Benning prying Lucic away from Boston for a relatively low price (Say Kassian + Prospect + pick) or just wait until the off season to sign him as a UFA.

Lucic had a relatively sub par season, and being only 27 next year, I could see Benning bringing him home on a 3-4 year deal. If all he provides is 40-50 points, and strong physical play I think it will be worthwhile.

Wouldn't it be great if he went to Toronto?

Very first thought I had that Toronto will hire him. Would honestly be pretty foolish of them not to.

Nice. Miss the playoffs 1 year and you take out your GM. Too bad they don't have let's say JB stepping up for them eh? B)

Ordinarily I would say it's a poor decision to let your GM go when you've had as much success as the Bruins have had lately. However, some trades/signings really set you back. While I like Reilly Smith and Loui Eriksson, and they did already have solid character centers in Krejci and Bergeron, trading Seguin was the nail in the coffin.

They couldn't afford Iginla, and the term he got is very risky at his age. They were right to let him go. As for Boychuk? Ouch.

McGuire finally gets his chance.

Still don't understand why teams consider him. I'm more inclined to believe that Gillis would be given an opportunity over McGuire in Boston.

lol. This might just showcase Benning's value to Boston even more. Benning leaves Boston fails to qualify for the post season? MIght be a stretch but I think Jim is really showing by example how to properly build and handle a team. Glad we have him with us. I look forward to the post season its unfortunate for Chiarelli but I agree I think they need a fresh leader. GL to Chiarelli where ever he may end up.

I highly doubt Lucic retires a Bruin. But I'm more shocked that Julian didn't go first.

I'm not, really, if they are considering a housecleaning.

It's best to take a top down approach like we did last summer.

They will likely let the new GM decide if they want to keep Julien.

$6.5mil 2016 ufa known mostly for fighting glory in a league that will eliminate fighting?

Hmmmm.

6'4 Powerforward with 62, 61, and 59 point seasons. Oh not to mention Vancouver boy.

I hated him at one point too. But with JB here and the hometown thing, it would be awesome if we got him.

Now I'm curious....he is still technically under contract, correct? Will a team be required to give up compensation to hire him as per the new rules?

Although he is still under contract I don't believe compensation is due because he was relieved of his duties. If anything, the Bruins would benefit if he was hired somewhere else because they wouldn't have to pay him out the balance of his contract.

I'd think he move to the top of their list along with Shero.

Shero's in the mix for the Bruins job now perhaps.

I'm not sure if that's true.

I know am NHL team can block a hiring because of an existing contract until it expires its term.

My understanding was only if that person was still employed with the team. If they're fired and still being paid, then it would affect the team's remaining payout to that person perhaps if he was hired one somewhere else, but not that they could block him from taking another job.

I think the biggest thing that happens this summer, is Benning prying Lucic away from Boston for a relatively low price (Say Kassian + Prospect + pick) or just wait until the off season to sign him as a UFA.

Lucic had a relatively sub par season, and being only 27 next year, I could see Benning bringing him home on a 3-4 year deal. If all he provides is 40-50 points, and strong physical play I think it will be worthwhile.

I'd rather keep Kassian, the prospect and the pick, and we couldn't afford his $6M cap hit for next year (yes, he's signed through 2015/16) without moving big salary out. If you wanted to wait until he's a UFA, I don't think Lucic will be taking any kind of significant home town discount from the $6.5M he makes next season to really make that worthwhile either when someone else will offer him something better.

Archived