The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruins fire Chiarelli

goalie13

First off, I'm glad the Canucks poached Benning before this transpired.

Second, I've always had the impression that Chiarelli was a good manager, but perhaps not the best hockey mind, and depended on the guys around him. Nothing wrong with that, but if the best hockey minds around you migrate, perhaps you need to replace them, or find a GM who has that bent.

This year looked like evidence of that imo - or perhaps that it had reached the point of 'all good things come to an end'. I think he needed to be more active over the past year - and didn't imo get enough pre-emptive work done. I think they're now approaching more of a bottleneck, and it may have been advantageous to bleed some of the pressure with a few tough decisions beforehand. Once the blood is in the water, it is harder to get market value out of the assets you're moving.

That said, they still competed for a playoff spot in a tough season. Tough business though. I'm akin to agree with conceding to change however.

On the other end of the spectrum you have the glacial approach in Toronto.

Unbelievable...!!...the Bruins have been more than competitive he last few years,doesn't the guy even get a chance to rebuild the team..?...If Hammond of the Sens doesn't go on a tear,the Bruins make the playoffs....From the outside looking in,I'd say this firing probably had more to do with Chiarelli butting heads with someone,than his track record as GM.

You know what's sickening?? Chiarelli, along with Benning, helped build that Bruins Cup-winning team while former GM Harry Sinden never won a Cup in his long tenure. And that's because $$$$ was/is more important to team owner Jeremy Jacobs.

I also remember reading when Chiarelli was heavily sought after by the Bruins while he was the assistant in Ottawa. Boston wanted him before the draft(believe it was '06). Remember Trevor wanting Benning before last year's draft?

Well, I wonder if Boston is kicking themselves, now that they allowed Benning to go to Vancouver. Lol.

The Canucks gave Neely away to Boston and the Bruins gave Benning away to Vancouver. Hopefully, Benning can scope up future bonafide prospects from underneath the Bruins' arrogant noses.

Probably the biggest reason for their fall this year was the cap issues, and that is ultimately the GM's responsibility. He done screwed up.

I think the biggest thing that happens this summer, is Benning prying Lucic away from Boston for a relatively low price (Say Kassian + Prospect + pick) or just wait until the off season to sign him as a UFA.

You are NOT serious.

Lucic to Van next year!!?? Let the rumors begin!

Just NO. Slow, goon, cheap-shotter, sore loser, expensive, declining production, UFA very soon. If you really must have him, just wait and sign for free.

I'm not sure if that's true.

I know am NHL team can block a hiring because of an existing contract until it expires its term.

Do you honestly think an organization would stop a fired employee from pursuing another job? You really think any organization is that classless? Oh yeah, we don't want you anymore, but you're not allowed to find another job either. Sucks for you.

Are you crazy? Do you know how fricken' stupid this would be and how much of a d**k move it is? I hate Boston, but i doubt they're that classless.. Come on.

Chiarelli can 100% pursue another job if someone contacts him. I understand that there are compensation picks now, but there is no way in hell they apply to someone who has been fired. That is literally the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

Do you honestly think an organization would stop a fired employee from pursuing another job? You really think any organization is that classless? Oh yeah, we don't want you anymore, but you're not allowed to find another job either. Sucks for you.

Are you crazy? Do you know how fricken' stupid this would be and how much of a d**k move it is? I hate Boston, but i doubt they're that classless.. Come on.

Chiarelli can 100% pursue another job if someone contacts him. I understand that there are compensation picks now, but there is no way in hell they apply to someone who has been fired. That is literally the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

Ummmm..... I never suggested they would. Overreact much?

I suggest that, based off of past circumstances where teams HAVE had the right to block a hiring (yes it has happened), that they would receive compensation under the NHL's new regulations regarding hiring of high level executive employees under contract. They are still under contract despite the dismissal.

I never suggested the Bruins would block him getting hired. But suggesting that the regulations may still be in place for the length of the contract is a legal position to be decided by the league. Whether they are active in their role currently is not the issue. It's whether the league continues to recognize the contract as it pertains to that clause. It was simply a question and one I'm sure we will find out about soon enough.

I would wonder if Chiarelli goes to join Ottawa's management group, and possibly ease the transition of Murray leaving and a new GM coming in, not sure what/if there is a timetable for that.

I thought Neely was wanting more of a role in terms of personnel decision making with the Bruins, maybe something messy developing in Boston by having a puppet new GM brought in ? or Neely takes the position ?

Ummmm..... I never suggested they would. Overreact much?

I suggest that, based off of past circumstances where teams HAVE had the right to block a hiring (yes it has happened), that they would receive compensation under the NHL's new regulations regarding hiring of high level executive employees under contract. They are still under contract despite the dismissal.

I never suggested the Bruins would block him getting hired. But suggesting that the regulations may still be in place for the length of the contract is a legal position to be decided by the league. Whether they are active in their role currently is not the issue. It's whether the league continues to recognize the contract as it pertains to that clause. It was simply a question and one I'm sure we will find out about soon enough.

It just means that guaranteed money is no longer offered.

The other team hiring them has a new contract, thus voiding the rest of the contract.

It just means that guaranteed money is no longer offered.

The other team hiring them has a new contract, thus voiding the rest of the contract.

Correct.

They are still under contract until such time or the term had expired. We ran into similar occurrences with both Keenan and Burke.

That's why I suggest the compensation might still be active.

It wasn't so much the Seguin trade.

It was contracts like $6 mill a year, when relatively unproven, for a guy like Lucic that put Chiarelli in a position he felt he had to trade Seguin. Yes it was money and the cap, not parties! They needed the money for a RW (became Iginla) and did not have it, or the organizational depth to fill that hole.

And Krecji starts a a $42 mill contract over 6 or 7 years this coming September, signed a while ago. Just to illustrate that perhaps he was repeatedly making some judgement calls on contracts that were and are binding the bears in knots...

Archived