The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd line needs to be fixed and Hamhuis-Bieksa should be re-united

Erik Karlsson

Anyone else feel like our lines aren't getting the most out of some of our players?

Especially Vrbata, Bonino couldn't keep up with him the whole night and the puck dies on Higgins stick, which is why Vrbata was shooting such low % shots and didn't look like himself out there.

Also Weber, yeah he's good for our pp, but he gets outmuscled way too easily. If he's going to be playing he should be on the 3rd pairing getting limited minutes.

They should re-unite Hamhuis-Bieksa and call up Sven to play with Vrbata. Look at what the 18 yr old Bennett did for the Flames. Having a young, fast skilled player who hates the team were facing only makes way too much sense to have in the lineup. Sure he might not be the best at board battles but neither is Gaudreau.. Not only did he look good against Edmonton, he looked good against the Coyotes as well.

We were pretty much a 2 line team last night, the twins and the Horvat line. Our 2nd line just flat out sucked and the Richardson line was decent, but not a huge threat.

I also feel like Higgins should replace Kenins on that line and Kenins should move to the Richardson line and that should be used as an energy line. Love Kenins physical play, but he didn't look good after the first.

There's no way Calgary could handle 3 solid lines that are scoring threats with a 4th line wearing them down with big hits.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Sbisa-Weber - Don't like this pairing, but they can have limited minutes

Matthias can sit out until he realizes he's not 5'8.

You won't take out an 18 goal scorer for two rookies. Willie will need to up the Sedins ice time soon I hope.

Daniel played just 16 minutes and Henrik just 17. Bonino played more minutes than Daniel. Dorsett had more even strength ice time than Daniel. That's just not right

I think you just confirmed what the OP was saying though.

The fact that WD made the decision to have the Sedins out on the ice less than players like Bonino (heck they had less than Dorsett, Kenins and Higgins in the 3rd period) is going to cost us in the long run.

WD was supposed to be rolling 4 lines all season so players like the Sedins could be more fresh for the playoffs. Why when we get here does he play them less than some of our 4th liners?

You won't take out an 18 goal scorer (Mathias) for two rookies (Kenins, Bearcheese).

Willie will need to up the Sedins ice time soon I hope.

Daniel played just 16 minutes and Henrik just 17. Bonino played more minutes than Daniel. Dorsett had more even strength ice time than Daniel. That's just not right

Well some lines had more minutes because they couldn't get the pullout of their zone. That could play a factor in minutes. But I agree Sedin line had good offensive shifts, too many passes though.

Rookie coach, growing pains are going to happen. He'll realize eventually that this team is capable of rolling four lines in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. We simply do not have the depth to get away with that. We lost the coaching battle in game one. We had home ice, and when Hartley started line matching halfway through the game W.D. didn't adapt.

I don't even mind if we lose the series, Willie has to get rid of his stubborn demeanour and learn that adjustments and line matching play a huge role in todays game.

The Flames gave Bennett the reigns and look at kid, best player on the ice for the Flames. I think it's about time we empower Horvat in that way. Change has got to come.

Chill man, were down 1-0 not 3-0. Don't make any excuses already.

Everyone who says chill ... if game 2 is like game 1, tight, close, and a bad bounce here or there, Canucks could find themselves 0-2 going back to Calgary.

Pressure is really on Nucks to win game 2 and get a split here. No pressure on Flames in game 2. If they get a split, it's a good situation.

Rookie coach, growing pains are going to happen. He'll realize eventually that this team is capable of rolling four lines in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. We simply do not have the depth to get away with that. We lost the coaching battle in game one. We had home ice, and when Hartley started line matching halfway through the game W.D. didn't adapt.

I don't even mind if we lose the series, Willie has to get rid of his stubborn demeanour and learn that adjustments and line matching play a huge role in todays game.

True but realistically, all they had to do was capitalize on the numerous missed chances and all this would be moot and no one would care how the game was coached.

Anyone else feel like our lines aren't getting the most out of some of our players?

Especially Vrbata, Bonino couldn't keep up with him the whole night and the puck dies on Higgins stick, which is why Vrbata was shooting such low % shots and didn't look like himself out there.

Also Weber, yeah he's good for our pp, but he gets outmuscled way too easily. If he's going to be playing he should be on the 3rd pairing getting limited minutes.

They should re-unite Hamhuis-Bieksa and call up Sven to play with Vrbata. Look at what the 18 yr old Bennett did for the Flames. Having a young, fast skilled player who hates the team were facing only makes way too much sense to have in the lineup. Sure he might not be the best at board battles but neither is Gaudreau.. Not only did he look good against Edmonton, he looked good against the Coyotes as well.

We were pretty much a 2 line team last night, the twins and the Horvat line. Our 2nd line just flat out sucked and the Richardson line was decent, but not a huge threat.

I also feel like Higgins should replace Kenins on that line and Kenins should move to the Richardson line and that should be used as an energy line. Love Kenins physical play, but he didn't look good after the first.

There's no way Calgary could handle 3 solid lines that are scoring threats with a 4th line wearing them down with big hits.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Sbisa-Weber - Don't like this pairing, but they can have limited minutes

Matthias can sit out until he realizes he's not 5'8.

should play the twins more often... the twins dominated them... switch burrows and vrbata with them to throw calgary off...

Chill man, were down 1-0 not 3-0. Don't make any excuses already.

1-0 could become 2-0 and that would be massive.

Yeah, it's only one game. But we can't afford another one

Game was great except the result, 2-1 in favor of the Flames. They played exceptionally well in the 3rd period. The 1st goal of the Flames was from a turn-over on our end, that should not happen. Otherwise, we played well.

To secure the win in the series, we need to score! I dont care about line ups but build traffic in front and score. There were great opportunities for us but not materialize.

This is 94 all over again.

Could also be 2004 all over again(flames beat us, go to finals, meet tampa there). Or 2007 all over again (win a emotional series in the first round, lose to ducks in the second round, they win the cup against the sens). Or 2008/2009 (we lose to inexperienced young team against all odds, that team loses in the conference finals). Or 2012/2013 where we get swept in the first round, and the team that swept us, loses in the second round.

If you think about it that way, the possibilities are endless, it doesn't have to be a repeat of 94, it can be an year or none.

Time to take a 'chill pill'.

It is ONE GAME! Remember in the 2011 Finals... we were up 2-0. A lot of good that did us, when we could not even win ONE game on the road.

The Canucks will learn from last night's effort, especially how they allowed the Flames to cycle the puck way too much in the final minutes of the 3rd. Willie will have them ready to roll on Friday, no worries. Verbata will play much better next game, just wait and see.

Relax Karlson! We lost 1 game 2-1. The sky is not falling. It's a 7 game series not 1 and done. We outplayed them for the majority of the game. Lack was good, Hiller was better. We had chances and old very easily have won that game. We had our 4th line stuck on the ice at the end and got burned. Calgary can't continue to play Russel and Wideman that amount and not have it catch up with them.Canucks just need to stay the course and play their game. We'll be fine! Go Canucks go!

True but realistically, all they had to do was capitalize on the numerous missed chances and all this would be moot and no one would care how the game was coached.

No one would have cared but it is something we should be weary about in the future. We gave the Sedins limited minutes in the regular season for a reason, so they could come out guns ablazing in the post season. Not really sure what we're resting them for in the biggest game of the year thus far...

I know it's one game but I still don't think that 2nd line works at all.

I wouldn't swap Burrows and Vrbata either, Burrows was flying out there and was probably our best forward.

I just think Bonino is too slow for Vrbata in this series, the Flames are too fast. Put in Vey if you have to and play him with Vrbata.

Archived