The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shane Smith of Vice News interviews Justin Trudeau

Webster6

This was a pretty eye opening video. Still don't entirely agree with him on Keystone. Great interview by Shane Smith though. Definitely worth a watch.

VICE founder Shane Smith sits down with Canadian prime ministerial candidate Justin Trudeau to talk about his campaign, and the most pressing issues facing Canada today, from the controversial anti-terrorism bill to climate change.

Major Talk Points

• Legacy in politics
  • Keystone
  • Bill C-51
  • Legalization of Cannabis
  • Security & Net Neutrality
  • Myth of the apathetic young voter

What about Fukushima? How long are we going to deny the radiation that is spilling into the Pacific Ocean?

12 minutes. One Reply. Thread Derailed. Back on topic.

Excellent interview, he has changed a lot since I last seen his interview. Great communicator, very open and nothing held back.

Breath of fresh air compared to Harper.

Before I used to think this guy was overrated and he didn't deserve the praise he had, now he's changed a lot and become a better overall leader. I wouldn't mind seeing him become elected.

I think he comes off as a bit of an airhead. With him and Mr. "Do You Know Who I Am" Mulcair being the only two candidates offering any appreciable possibility of displacing Mr.Harper we are likely to see continued voter apathy. He may mobilize a small percentage of younger Canadians but not so many as to provide any real boon to the floundering voter turnouts we've seen in the last several elections (61.1% in 2011).

It sounds like Elizabeth May won't be strong armed from the debates this time around. I went to see her speak a few months ago at a local library and was tremendously impressed by her genuine nature and thorough knowledge of bill specifics (I got the rare impression she actually reads them).

As for me - I'll likely land amongst the 38.9% of 2011.

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to Mulcair wiping the floor with Trudeau in debates, then holding my nose and voting for him anyway (sad how, despite knowing that I don't vote for Trudeau unless I'm in his riding, I'm still voting for him, and not whoever is my representative). I'd rather have right wing policies than right wing policies and Harper's politics.

Was that really a good interview? Seemed like a few softball questions by an interviewer that constantly agreed with him. Maybe he should have asked why the LPC election reform doesn't follow the recommendations set out by the Law Commission of Canada (NDP's does, by the way. And the answer is because it wouldn't benefit the Liberals. Oh, and the recommended changes are to mimic Scottish model).

Harper seriously degraded politics in this country (among with a lot of other things), leaving me no choice but to ABC my vote.

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to Mulcair wiping the floor with Trudeau in debates, then holding my nose and voting for him anyway (sad how, despite knowing that I don't vote for Trudeau unless I'm in his riding, I'm still voting for him, and not whoever is my representative). I'd rather have right wing policies than right wing policies and Harper's politics.

Was that really a good interview? Seemed like a few softball questions by an interviewer that constantly agreed with him. Maybe he should have asked why the LPC election reform doesn't follow the recommendations set out by the Law Commission of Canada (NDP's does, by the way. And the answer is because it wouldn't benefit the Liberals. Oh, and the recommended changes are to mimic Scottish model).

Harper seriously degraded politics in this country (among with a lot of other things), leaving me no choice but to ABC my vote.

This x1000..

For example, in my local newspaper he even has some of his cronies writing letters to the editor promoting their fear mongering ways.. Literally talking about how ISIS wants to kill the infidels and why Bill C-51 is a good thing to prevent another 9/11 or boston bombing etc..

Here is the letter:

Sadly, I was unable to attend Elizabeth May's Shawinigan Lake meeting. It looked like it was a real barn burner.

The political season is now upon us and we are all going to hear a lot of political rhetoric (that would probably include from me as well) and we, the voters, need to take time to determine the value of all we hear.

Bill C-51 is all the rage in the rhetoric/activist circles right now and we are lucky that in our country there is freedom of speech, and that we will continue to have free speech, to voice concerns. By the way, most of the polling done on this issue shows that the great majority of Canadians support the government on Bill C-51 in their effort to stop terrorism here and abroad.

I am hearing a lot of noise about the lawful protests being a target of this bill. When I attended the prime minister's visit last spring, protestors attacked and damaged cars driven by the elderly and terrified children who attended.

There were individuals detained but as far as I know none charged. At Burnaby Mountain, protestors hurled insults, spit and threw garbage at policemen and were not arrested. Those who peacefully crossed the line to be arrested later had the charges dropped. The police and the government are already not enforcing laws that would affect the protest movement. Why on earth would they create new laws on top of the ones they are

already not enforcing? The government is not going to prevent lawful protest in our country; to say otherwise is ridiculous.

Our government's concern, and what should be the concern of the opposition parties, is the safety of Canadians. This last year we had two brave soldiers killed on our own soil. This is a fact, it is not scare-mongering. The police have been able to foil several other terrorist attempts on Canadian soil: the Toronto 18, the recent attempt to bomb the B.C. legislature and the Via Rail plot. To the south there have been other, more monstrous events, the Boston bombing and the World Trade Centre which caused an extensive number of deaths.

None of this is scare-mongering, it is fact. In the Middle East there are groups, such as ISIS, which are calling for the death of "infidels" and "apostates".

They are reaching out through social media and radicalized members of their cult to gain supporters and soldiers.

For those of you who don't know, we are whom the terrorist groups are referring to. And many of theses "infidels" and "apostates" include fellow Muslims. Despite the rhetoric, this is not Stephen Harper versus Islam. That is a construct of the opposition parties.

Some of you may recall that in Duncan, we have our own links to the biggest incident of mass murder in Canadian history, the Air India bombing in which 329 people were killed, including 268 Canadians. For those of you who

have forgotten, that bomb was built by Inderjit Singh Reyat, a local auto mechanic. That bomb may have been built right here in Duncan!

The inquest which followed stated that the bombing may have been disrupted if our security forces communicated.

There have been alterations made to Bill C-51, in response to the criticism. Is the bill perfect? What bill is? Can it be made better? Maybe. Do we need to take steps to protect Canadians? Yes! I have not heard what the opposition parties have in mind to protect us.

The government is not scare-mongering, as I see it; but rather trying to reassure Canadians that they are taking the steps necessary to keep us safe. I can't imagine that the government is going to commit political suicide and, to quote Elizabeth May, "stop you from protesting herring catches," nor is the government creating a nation at war. The government is trying to stop another Air India, World Trade Centre, or Boston bombing happening on our own soil.

I hope that Canadians are looking at the issues politicians, their friends and the media are presenting them without the emotional rhetoric and are examining the questions, the facts and the most likely solutions on their own. If Canadians are able to do this, many may be startled to discover that the government is actually just doing its job.

Martin Barker Nomination candidate for the Conservative Party of Canada

I can only imagine what effect this might have in a even smaller community that's on the cusp of civilization..

Archived