The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willy D's post game comments

Sunny604

The tone in Willy's voice sounds almost like "They're a great team, this series is gonna be tough, I think we did pretty well and ahhh if we win we, win and if we don't then oh well, it's been a good year". The Canucks are better than the Flames and he needs to convey some anger and take some responsibility and sound like he's not gonna put up with these guys from Calgary. Torts may not have coached this team well last year but he sure showed some passion. Alain V. walked that line well when he would talk about performance after games. Maybe I'm completely out of line cause I'm just pissed we lost.

Yeah, I'd say you're out of line.

WD's respect for the Flames is a good approach, they are a good team. It's only been one game. After experiencing the Flames' 3rd period push, I have faith that our coach and team will learn from their mistake and correct accordingly.

This is Willie's style. He is basically calm and patient and does not over-react. Willie has had great success with young players and has won championships in the CHL and the AHL.

Sometimes highly emotional coaches can get a lot out of players in the short run, but Willie's approach seems better for player development. Admittedly, once you get to the Stanley Cup playoffs you forget about player development and focus on the short run, so I am not sure what is best at this stage. But Willie can't stop being Willie and suddenly morph into Tortorella. In the long run I suspect Willie's approach is better.

For now I am inclined to just wait and see.

All the real game changing stuff is said behind closed doors. We only really get to see the media friendly version of him. He could be chewing players out for all we know.

Yes...and so it should be. You don't wash your dirty linen in public...

All the real game changing stuff is said behind closed doors. We only really get to see the media friendly version of him. He could be chewing players out for all we know.

Yeah, you see those eyes when he's on the bench during games? Sometimes it looks like there is a fiery torment deep in his soul.

The tone in Willy's voice sounds almost like "They're a great team, this series is gonna be tough, I think we did pretty well and ahhh if we win we, win and if we don't then oh well, it's been a good year". The Canucks are better than the Flames and he needs to convey some anger and take some responsibility and sound like he's not gonna put up with these guys from Calgary. Torts may not have coached this team well last year but he sure showed some passion. Alain V. walked that line well when he would talk about performance after games. Maybe I'm completely out of line cause I'm just pissed we lost.

So you didn't listen to what he said about his own team and how the game went.

Honestly you guys are like a 5th column on here. Always looking for negatives and ways to take a dig at the Coach players,management.

Yes you are disappointed, who isn't but that is not an excuse for criticising your own coach. Tell me do you have ANY idea what Willie says to his team in private or how he motivates and prepares them?

It's stuff like this that sours the playoffs for me.

If it is not the unrealistic expectations (Canucks in 4) or the disrespecting of the opponents it's the miserable attacks on the team after a defeat. Worse still you think it is worth starting a new thread to say it.

The Canucks are better than the Flames?

If you're only going by the final standings, then sure I guess, but 4 points difference is nothing.

But hey, maybe Willie should start yelling at Hartley during the game while pushing the partition between the team benches.

That'll show emotion and will help us win. Right?

WD's respect for the Flames is a good approach, they are a good team. It's only been one game. After experiencing the Flames' 3rd period push, I have faith that our coach and team will learn from their mistake and correct accordingly.

he isn't out of line.... flames aren't that great of a team... we should really beat them... as for your faith the coach still plans to stick to 4lines even though the twins had the most chances... there is no way bo should get more ice time then the twins in any one period... and horrible defense pairing of bieska and isbisa....calgary is thanking there lucky stars that they didn't have to face the twins as much especially in the third period. This is a rookie coach that clearly doesn't understand how home ice advantage is used... and got out coached. If no changes are made expect another loss...

Respect in the regular is fine to a point. In the playoffs coaches like Babcock, Quennville, Sutter very rarely give any praise to the opposition if any in fact they subtly call out their own players. Never give the enemy candy.

Respect in the regular is fine to a point. In the playoffs coaches like Babcock, Quennville, Sutter very rarely give any praise to the opposition if any in fact they subtly call out their own players. Never give the enemy candy.

your right... i think the canucks in the op comments is correct... willie has given them too much respect, almost to the point of excepting failure in a series against them.

The Canucks are better than the Flames?

If you're only going by the final standings, then sure I guess, but 4 points difference is nothing.

But hey, maybe Willie should start yelling at Hartley during the game while pushing the partition between the team benches.

That'll show emotion and will help us win. Right?

the canucks are a better team skill wise, its just calgary out worked us and out coached us...

You don't think telling the press that the Nucks are the better team and should be able to beat Calgary easily is "giving the enemy candy"? Coaches are always looking for bulletin board pieces for motivation, Willie didn't give Calgary any.

he isn't out of line.... flames aren't that great of a team... we should really beat them... as for your faith the coach still plans to stick to 4lines even though the twins had the most chances... there is no way bo should get more ice time then the twins in any one period... and horrible defense pairing of bieska and isbisa....calgary is thanking there lucky stars that they didn't have to face the twins as much especially in the third period. This is a rookie coach that clearly doesn't understand how home ice advantage is used... and got out coached. If no changes are made expect another loss...

Hartley played his top D pairing 30 minutes the other day. Willie played his D much more well rounded. Calgary's top players are going to burn out (seriously, no pun intended) and they just don't have the depth to step up.

Canucks will do fine if they play like they did for the first 40 minutes of game 1.

You don't think telling the press that the Nucks are the better team and should be able to beat Calgary easily is "giving the enemy candy"? Coaches are always looking for bulletin board pieces for motivation, Willie didn't give Calgary any.

No but he was praising the Flames a tad too much for my liking. The coaches i mentioned give little praise to the opposition. Scottie Bowman never even acknowleged the other team to the point they never existed to the press, these guys used bulletin board material inside the room not outside it.

Archived