The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willy D's post game comments

Sunny604

WD has done a great job, but its good that his bench management of game 1 is being criticized. It's easy to criticize in hindsight, but you can't squander games in the playoffs and surely Benning and Linden would question his ice time strategy in post game analysis.

He's a very knowledgeable players coach, but he is a rookie head coach in his first playoff game and I'm sure the management team will emphasize that there's no tomorrow and we'll see more of the Sedin's in game 2 and more experience on the ice in the last minute of play.

We need our D-men to clear the front of the net and Lack to have a huge game, otherwise we'll see Miller in Calgary.

It's called a game face...you don't share the emotion but that doesn't mean it's not there. Personally, I prefer he keep an even keel and tuck it under his sleeve. Just as injuries are a highly guarded secret at this time of year, so is any indication of worry. What goes on in the dressing room shouldn't necessarily transfer out there to the media. He's got this...if he ain't worried, I ain't worried.

He isn't doing the up/down/high/low drama that we're accustomed to here on the boards. That isn't a bad thing. ;)

So you didn't listen to what he said about his own team and how the game went.

Honestly you guys are like a 5th column on here. Always looking for negatives and ways to take a dig at the Coach players,management.

Yes you are disappointed, who isn't but that is not an excuse for criticising your own coach. Tell me do you have ANY idea what Willie says to his team in private or how he motivates and prepares them?

It's stuff like this that sours the playoffs for me.

If it is not the unrealistic expectations (Canucks in 4) or the disrespecting of the opponents it's the miserable attacks on the team after a defeat. Worse still you think it is worth starting a new thread to say it.

Agreed I shouldn't have started a thread. I also have to realize what's said behind the scenes. I was frustrated and didn't use the best platform to say my opinion. respect to Willie and I have faith he's doing the best he can in handling the press and the team. I haven't played hockey in my life so I can't critique it with this angle.

the canucks are a better team skill wise, its just calgary out worked us and out coached us...

some real gems out of you in this thread.

The Canucks outplayed the Flames for 45 mins out of 60. They ran into a hot goalie, it happens, deal with it.

So if WD says - they're an awful team and we should have mopped the floor with them - he gets criticized for giving them bulletin board material. Fact of the matter is that Calgary is no pushover, they have a ridiculous amount of 3rd period comeback victories, they work hard, and are every bit as solid as any team that has made the playoffs this year.

It's ONE game. Did every fan give up on them when they gave up the first goal so many times down the stretch? Did anyone foresee the Kings storming back to win the Cup after being down 3-0 in their first round series last year?

Since when did expectations go from "we should tank for McDavid" to "we are so damn good we should easily win the cup in 16 games" ?

The tone in Willy's voice sounds almost like "They're a great team, this series is gonna be tough, I think we did pretty well and ahhh if we win we, win and if we don't then oh well, it's been a good year". The Canucks are better than the Flames and he needs to convey some anger and take some responsibility and sound like he's not gonna put up with these guys from Calgary. Torts may not have coached this team well last year but he sure showed some passion. Alain V. walked that line well when he would talk about performance after games. Maybe I'm completely out of line cause I'm just pissed we lost.

Id say u probably have no clue what willie should or shouldn't do. U are not in the dressing room , are not on the bench , and certainly aren't on the ice. Maybe leave what Willie " should do" to the professionals that spend their entire lives learning about ways to win hockey games

So you didn't listen to what he said about his own team and how the game went.

Honestly you guys are like a 5th column on here. Always looking for negatives and ways to take a dig at the Coach players,management.

Yes you are disappointed, who isn't but that is not an excuse for criticising your own coach. Tell me do you have ANY idea what Willie says to his team in private or how he motivates and prepares them?

It's stuff like this that sours the playoffs for me.

If it is not the unrealistic expectations (Canucks in 4) or the disrespecting of the opponents it's the miserable attacks on the team after a defeat. Worse still you think it is worth starting a new thread to say it.

You know what it is? It's because some of these fans have certain expectations, and when they are not met, they feel that the Canucks haven't been doing enough of one thing or another.

They just don't realize that sometimes you could be playing at and trying your best and you can still lose (even if you are supposed to be better), that's just life.

I was actually pretty content with how we played in the 1st game. At the very least, it's a solid building block to get better with and we looked better than we have in previous playoffs in my opinion.

Here's to hoping they bounce back tonight with an even better effort than the 1st game. :)

There is no point interviewing or asking WD questions.....he is like a human recorder...say the same thing everytime without emotion...

"ah, they are good team, it is going to be a hard game, our players played OK..." Things that he says are so meaningless and makes ppl want to slap his face.

There is no point interviewing or asking WD questions.....he is like a human recorder...say the same thing everytime without emotion...

"ah, they are good team, it is going to be a hard game, our players played OK..." Things that he says are so meaningless and makes ppl want to slap his face.

Kinda like how I want to slap yours.

From what I know, Willie is known as a very competitive guy, while still maintaining composure. As others have said, we don't know what he's saying behind closed doors. You don't get to the NHL (as a player, coach, GM, or whatever) without having a competitive personality. I would bet that every single Canucks player and coach wants to win more than even the most competitive fans.

Archived