The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willy D's post game comments

Sunny604

There is no point interviewing or asking WD questions.....he is like a human recorder...say the same thing everytime without emotion...

"ah, they are good team, it is going to be a hard game, our players played OK..." Things that he says are so meaningless and makes ppl want to slap his face.

If you thought deeper about it you would see that Willie is being very clever. Journalists feast on anger, criticism, controversy, perceived bias, any sign of destabilisation given off by the coach. That in turn unsettles the team and hurts what he is trying to achieve.

Willie knows this and gives them FA

I like his calm demeanor in all this - like the TSN panel said this is vintage Hartley. His team was soundly beaten last night and what's his response. Goon it up at the end to deflect criticism from his team and try and make this into something it isn't. Honestly let Hartley goon it up and get away from the style that allowed Calgary to make the playoffs.

Although I will say this..... if Kass is good to go I'd be dressing him next game :)

There is no point interviewing or asking WD questions.....he is like a human recorder...say the same thing everytime without emotion...

"ah, they are good team, it is going to be a hard game, our players played OK..." Things that he says are so meaningless and makes ppl want to slap his face.

WD is definitely not a great interview and frankly I could care less.

His controlled and guarded responses tend to be as non-controversial as possible leaving the shark feeding press with very little to create any controversy that will be distracting to the team, sounds good to me.

Sometimes though, a bit of controversy helps, and in some cases it can take the focus off of the team.

Overall I think taking a guarded approach like WD is a good thing, however that being said may be last night would have been a good time to show a bit more fire. I say this because the Flames players were rough with our guys, and while that is normal in the playoffs, the really risky stuff seemed to get overlooked by the refs at times. If I were WD I would have been pissed and concerned about my teams safety.

Hmmm...let's see now. 101 Points for a rookie coach (Which by the way is second best to coach AV's debut of 105). Was able to solve SJ, LA, and other teams we've struggled to beat. Won our first playoff game since 2011. Rolls 4 lines. Plays a consistent, yet flexible system. Just because he doesn't say much or speaks in cliche's to the media just means he keeps his cards close to the vest. The players have bounced back from a horrible season last year. The best part is the team bounces back after a loss.

Clearly the Canucks didn't need a fiery coach. They needed a coach as a strategist, manager, and motivator, and teacher. Willie does these things. To put in perspective, Marc Crawford's second best season behind the Canucks bench was 101 points.

Why give your opposition ammunition to motivate them? Just outplay them.

Things that he's asked are meaningless as well, so what do you expect? As long as he says the right things to the team, which he apparently does, he could stand in front of the press and rap for all I care.

The tone in Willy's voice sounds almost like "They're a great team, this series is gonna be tough, I think we did pretty well and ahhh if we win we, win and if we don't then oh well, it's been a good year". The Canucks are better than the Flames and he needs to convey some anger and take some responsibility and sound like he's not gonna put up with these guys from Calgary. Torts may not have coached this team well last year but he sure showed some passion. Alain V. walked that line well when he would talk about performance after games. Maybe I'm completely out of line cause I'm just pissed we lost.

WD is a better coach then both Hartley and Torts combined. Why should WD sink to Hartley's level. WD is coaching not just to win this round but the next 3 as well. WD has already out coached and out classed Hartley. Its all about the WINS not the side show. You only bring the side show as a last resort. Which shows exactly where Hartley is coming from. WD knows this. Stay Focused is the goal!

Also Calgary has brought there best to the table. WD knows we are moving on. Were only in 2nd gear vs Calary being in Over Drive already! Just need 3 more games to make it official. So why throw that all out the window so he can get into some war of words crap. We al know how well that went for Lu in 2011.

Hmmm...let's see now. 101 Points for a rookie coach (Which by the way is second best to coach AV's debut of 105). Was able to solve SJ, LA, and other teams we've struggled to beat. Won our first playoff game since 2011. Rolls 4 lines. Plays a consistent, yet flexible system. Just because he doesn't say much or speaks in cliche's to the media just means he keeps his cards close to the vest. The players have bounced back from a horrible season last year. The best part is the team bounces back after a loss.

Clearly the Canucks didn't need a fiery coach. They needed a coach as a strategist, manager, and motivator, and teacher. Willie does these things. To put in perspective, Marc Crawford's second best season behind the Canucks bench was 101 points.

Why give your opposition ammunition to motivate them? Just outplay them.

Well said.

When this season is over WD will be known as a great NHL coach. IMO he has already shown that he is a better coach than AV for the simple reason that we don't inexplicably lose.

And this supposedly inferior team to 2011's group has already displayed qualities that were missing in 2011. Team defense and sticking up for team mates. As well as a better over all team compete level. And we haven't even gotten started yet.

WD is the coach we have needed for years and years. WD knows how to get it done!

Archived