The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Watching abroad

SMR

I've seen some posts pop up recently about watching games from various cities abroad, but it always seemed to be focused on which bar to go to or similar.

I'm in the UK, so the games are on at about 3AM. I wouldn't mind staying up for SCF games, but I can't do that regularly throughout the playoffs! Does anyone know how to watch recordings of the games online?

I don't mind waiting an extra couple days if needed, although it would be tough.

^^ Reasonable too...

I live Australia. $150 US dollars per year any game, any market, every game incl playoffs, home and away feeds.

And they're PVR'd. ie I can watch a game from 3 weeks ago or just 3 hours later if I'm at work (Its already noon the next day for most evening games here)...

I'm in Japan, I've watched almost every Canucks game live on gamecenter live.

I think the blackouts are for IP's in the blacked out areas, so if you're in the UK, that wouldn't affect you. It would just be if you were living in Vancouver, the game was on TV in Vancouver, and the game was blacked out there, it would detect your IP and block you out.

I'm in Japan, I've watched almost every Canucks game live on gamecenter live.

I think the blackouts are for IP's in the blacked out areas, so if you're in the UK, that wouldn't affect you. It would just be if you were living in Vancouver, the game was on TV in Vancouver, and the game was blacked out there, it would detect your IP and block you out.

This is my understanding as well. If you were in Vancouver, you could use a VPN to watch the game from a European IP and have no blackout.

Gamecenter looks like its only USD30 for the playoffs, although I was hoping for a free option. There's another thread on CBC online where someone said you can watch replays of the games (through a VPN for those of us not in Canada), but I can't find where that is possible.

I've seen some posts pop up recently about watching games from various cities abroad, but it always seemed to be focused on which bar to go to or similar.

I'm in the UK, so the games are on at about 3AM. I wouldn't mind staying up for SCF games, but I can't do that regularly throughout the playoffs! Does anyone know how to watch recordings of the games online?

I don't mind waiting an extra couple days if needed, although it would be tough.

Do you know anyone in North America with a live feed?

My friend lives in Hong Kong. He basically streams off a SlingTV device which is hooked up at his sister's condo in Vancouver.

Haha.

I have the rogers gamecentre package through my phone and i use it all the time when im at work. get every game, and have never had an issue with blackouts. I watch canucks games on it regularly (I live in Van)

I'm going to the UK at the end of the month and plan on streaming the games when i can. Pretty neato, if you ask me.

I have the rogers gamecentre package through my phone and i use it all the time when im at work. get every game, and have never had an issue with blackouts. I watch canucks games on it regularly (I live in Van)

Sportscentre policy changed when Rogers got involved. None of the games for Western Canadian teams are blacked out any more (I don't know about eastern Canadian teams, but I suspect the same is true for them). I am a Nucks fan stuck in Calgary and I considered getting Centre Ice for many years, however their blackout policy deterred me for many years. The way it used to be enforced, it meant that I would of paid for a service that blacked out something like 20% of the games, even though I wasn't even in the local market. That was because all games that were broadcast to the Western market were blacked out. In addition, all games played in Calgary or Edmonton were blacked out. In other words, if Sportsnet carried the game in your broadcast area, the game was blacked out on Centre Ice. Due to that policy, I boycotted CI and went the "alternative" route on the internet to watch games for many years. I also stated that if Centre Ice ever stopped their ridiculous policy, I would gladly become a paying customer.

That's now no longer the case.

I only found out their policy changed when my room mate got a new Rogers phone, and they gave him Centre Ice free for this hockey season. He's not a hockey fan, so he let me use it. That was in November, and I've enjoyed watching every single Canucks game ever since. I'm happy with the service and will become a paying customer next year.

Here's a quote from their blackout policy:

When a fan is trying to view a live NHL in-market regional game they will only be able to access that game from the local broadcast partner that owns the rights. When the right to an in-market game is owned by Rogers, we have included the game in Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™. However, if the in-market game is owned by a non-Rogers broadcast partner of the NHL, that game will be blacked out in Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™.

They don't say anything about when CBC has the rights to a game, but I have yet to not be able to watch a game where they are the broadcaster. Then again, even if it was blacked out on CI, you'd be able to switch over to their website and watch.

I never thought I would ever say this about any big Canadian communications company, but Rogers actually got something right. I know that doesn't help anyone outside of Canada, but it sure makes this Canucks fan happy.

I have lived in China for the last 5 years and I had my parents pick up a Slingbox at Futureshop. Even in the land of censorship it has been a reliable set-up - you need to set it up to a tv in Canada with a wifi connection nearby, but then you take control of that tv anytime you want and use it as a pvr

Dedicated fan here who wakes up at 4 am religiously. GCL is a good investment for the whole season. Only $75 USD. I've had two problems, but they didn't last long. Having a fast internet connection is great as well. When you watch it live, you get to see the intermission shows, the PVR feeds are without any commercials or intermission goodies.

Archived