The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Ferland and The Flames

ali5430

Said it since the end of game 1. Calgary will not win because they don't have enough depth, and Hartley is not the mastermind everyone keeps saying he is.

All I hear after game 1 is how Willie's "rookie" mistakes in rolling 4 lines cost us this... that... Willie's system got us to the playoffs, and Hartley is going to burn out his 5 or so NHL players, and be left with a junior team to finish the series.

Flames won't last.

This year the Canucks are playing with heart. Guys WILL step in for Eddie when he gets run down. Guys like Hamhuis will step in to defend, not that he needs it, Dorsett in a fight. Edler, Dorsett, Sbisa, and Kenins are playing like wrecking balls out there and frankly the young guys on the Flames roster are s'ing their pants.

Expecting more goonery from Hartley in game 3...

I had to laugh at all that crap after the first game. Botchford and the Province bloggers with their usual half-wit pretenses to know better than WD how to manage the lineup. The idea that rolling four lines made sense in the regular season but now it's time to abandon that approach - is assinine. The playoffs, if you're fortunate enough to advance, are a long, grind. Half of the equation is grinding down the opposition. The Canucks are not going to outlast or even wear Calgary down riding two or three lines and two pairings. Rolling four lines that can sustain a high compete level is fundamental - and when the depth this team has is as talented, gritty, and able to contribute at both ends of the ice as it is, to underutilize them is just plain stupid.

Claiming that the Sedins aren't playing enough is typical of the elements of the Vancouver media that quite simply have very low hockey intelligence, but love to posture otherwise. There are a few matchups in this series that suit that Sedins extremely well, and they are exploiting them exceptionally, but Calgary is a team that likes to use their speed, hard work, counterpunching but most of all, to outlast their opponents. Matching and sustaining the pace they like to play at is necessary and rolling four enables that - even allows this team to dictate the pace.

What WD is doing is exactly the course the team should be taking. Not only are the playoffs a grind in the long run, but in the short run there are some things about playoff hockey that noobs don't seem to realize. The obvious heightened compete level, and the escalated physicality - everyone realizes (or should) that. But playoff hockey also means that games do not necessarily end in regulation - and they are not resolved by a shootout after 5 minutes of 4 on 4. They can go on for 5 and 6 periods on any given night, and when you play tight, low scoring hockey as Calgary likes to, there's a good chance that'll be the case with a game or two. So don't resort to the panicky 'spend it up front' mentality - it's the steady, consistent and balanced approach that got them where they are, and if anything, it makes even more sense now to keep it even and keep the Sedins, and everyone else, as fresh as possible.

This series reminds me of 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 second round series that we lost to the 'hawks. I remember how Burrows and Kesler were baited by the 'hawks trolling, which IMO ultimately cost us the series (along with Luongo's meltdowns). Now the shoe is on the other foot and we're the better and more seasoned team baiting punks like Ferland.

I see Hartley's tactics and his deployment of Ferland hurting the Flames more than helping them. All the Canucks need to do is maintain their composure and let the Flames implode on their own. The Flames coaching staff and players are too dumb and stupid to realize that they are imploding right in front of our eyes. Hartley is being asked in the post game scrums about Ferland and his response seem to come across as very contrived...sooner or later, he and Ferland are going to crack.

Yeah, some of the Calgary media seemed less than impressed. They asked him rather pointedly what he's going to do about the fact his 1st line is getting outplayed handily. Everyone has seen his tactics before - this crap he's pulling was probably more prevalent last year - but running gutter distractions is not necessarily going to change the fact he's losing the majority of the matchups. His answer was that they're young guys that could be in junior or college - and they're facing the Sedins. As true as that may be, is there any tactical advantage to what he's doing? The things people must be wondering however is how gutter hockey is going to aid his young, talented and not particularly physical core? They're taking some big hits and wilting under pressure as it is - how does escalating the less-skilled side of the game serve the Calgary Flames? It may have in the recent Burke truculence era, but that's not really their identity at this point - their lineup is quite different that it was. What that looked like was more an idiot losing composure - and it backfiring - than an intelligent. 'old time hockey' thing. A few CBC goofs may love it - yes, it gets the adrenaline pumping and is good entertainment value, but whether it gives Calgary any edge is highly debatable.

you know, I read this forum and I see a lot of hate for Ferland, and rightfully so... he is playing our team. After watching last night's game however... I felt Ferland was the one guy out there that could have possibly turned the game around. He seemed like the type of player who went 100% every second on the ice and makes others play harder. Reminded me of a pre-1st line Burrows or Torres when in the lineup in 2011. Game changers.... wish he was the Canucks pet project not Hartley's. Playoff hockey these are the guys who win you series.

So why didn't he? (Be a game changer/change the game?).

The point for me is that Burrows/Torres couldn't/didn't get away with what this turd is doing out there. So my expectation is that these hotheads are quickly brought into line by the league. Or at least that's how it's supposed to happen. Gooning as a response to losing? That's called poor sportsmanship and there's a classless element to that. Nothing new, but I'm hoping the league quickly puts an end to Hartley's hit list. Or, we could just get Bertuzzi back...would rather the league does what it's being called on to do and clean up the game. I love playoff hockey that's tough/hard hitting and emotional. The idiots on the radio are saying "this is what it's all about". I recall they said that back then, too...it sells tickets and gets people stoked. But it also leads to bad blood and retaliation. Like what these clowns were trying to pull last night. Better have a swift and strong message attached...there is no place for thuggery. It's all about who sends that message...I like the good old days, when teams could do it themselves. But that comes with risk of serious injury...so, NHL, let's have it. Hartley's done this before and, in a game that's pretty much in the books, he's not coaching hockey he's street fighting in a back alley way. But allow for all to do so if that's what we're doing here.

Ferland played very well in game #1..IMO....Last night he had to play the 'send a message' role'....This is nothing new for the Canucks,and is really just the sideshow to the real game....There was Ben Eager in 2011,and John Scott from the Hawks that year as well.......Kevin Bieksa usually chimes in with the funniest quotes on these kind of players.

If the Canucks could they would grab Ferland in a heart beat. He is tough and can play the game.

I had no problem with the Flames going down fighting. They set the tone for Sunday. Nothing wrong with that. The reality the Flames face is that during playoffs they will not surprise any opponents. The more games played the more Vancouver will focus on weaknesses they see.

isaid something along these lines, and everyone starts flaming. Sensitive fans these days...

isaid something along these lines, and everyone starts flaming. Sensitive fans these days...

You would think that Hartley had developed new hockey tactics! I mean fans should get a grip. This has been going on ever since I have been involved in hockey. Hitchcock does do this? Quennville doesn't do this? Oh, let me think, Torts would never have tried this. Forgot he never made playoffs with the

Canucks. The hallway was nice opening act however.

I love how he just bounces of Tanev and Chris just keeps skating like that huge hit was nothing.

the only hit I've seen Tanev get up slow from was in his rookie year (when it seemed like he weighed 150 pounds) when Clifford charged and boarded him.

He's been taking a beating so far in the series but always gets up fine.

Not only that, but if your blueline is already thinned with the loss of a Norris candidate, instigating the kind of gong show that Hartley did resulted in a suspension of another of his blueliners, so how'd that work out even in the short run? I personally would almost prefer Engelland in the lineup. Next to their top line, he's the Flame with the worst possession numbers in the series thus far - he has some grit, but his skating is hurting him and he's hard pressed to keep pace in these kind of games.

Wait, Engelland got a suspension? NHL.com hasn't announced anything, who said he's suspended for Game 3?

I always feel so much smarter after you chime in and enlighten me..your arrogance that you are the only fan that knows anything about the Canucks is breathtaking..the way you call other posters losers and dumb like they have no idea what they are talking about is so positive..keep up the good work..I look forward to your next demeaning post.

You're lucky I don't name them or you might be near the top of the list. It looks like I hit a nerve there and you couldn't help yourself you just jumped right in.

Good to have an avid reader though, keep up the good work shaky old boy.

you know, I read this forum and I see a lot of hate for Ferland, and rightfully so... he is playing our team. After watching last night's game however... I felt Ferland was the one guy out there that could have possibly turned the game around. He seemed like the type of player who went 100% every second on the ice and makes others play harder. Reminded me of a pre-1st line Burrows or Torres when in the lineup in 2011. Game changers.... wish he was the Canucks pet project not Hartley's. Playoff hockey these are the guys who win you series.

Yeah, I was mad yesterday but thinking on it now I can see why the kid is loved by the Flames. He's a complete nut but he wears his heart on his sleeve. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Guest Dasein

Yeah, I feel the same way

Ferland is a gamer, and he'll get better with experience if he learns to wind back a little and not take stupid penalties. Whether he was a bit of a loose cannon last night because Hartley wanted that or not, we don't know, but he was good in the corners and along the boards, and could make plays after winning his puck battles

Thought he was their best and most consistent forward last night whereas their top line just disappeared

I hope Edler will knock some sense into Ferland in Game 3.

All these rookies in the Flames lineup are getting hot-headed and frustrated; I say BRING IT ON- our PP would like to do some damage. Last night's performance by the boys was impressive. The depth of this team is proving to be the determining factor. Good on WD for rolling all 4 lines.

Plus I love this little tidbit: The ~esteemed and amaaaaaazing~ top line of Monahan, Gaudreau, Hudler?

A COMBINED: -10 in these first 2 games.

And since they're matched against the Sedins, it's safe to say that the Sedinery has been on point. ;)

Archived