The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kris Russell Crosscheck on Nick Bonino (same as Byfuglien)

kazin!

Pretty clear intentional cross check to the back of the head.

I understand that O'Halloran missed it as he's making a call on the goal almost simultaneously.

I think this should be reviewed - particularly because it was missed at the time. I'm skeptical they do anything about it for two reasons - because with Engelland on the way to the press box, were Russell to join him, Calgary's blueline would be pretty vulnerable, and apparently the result (that Bonino was not apparently injured) is somehow relevent.. Should not be considerations, but have gotten used to this kind of crap going unpunished (handled inconsistently), somewhat like the obvious slash that Ferland threw on Burrows' off the faceoff - could not possibly have missed it, but O'Hall and Meier let it go... It's the playoffs.

O'Halloran was not as bad tonight as he usually is imo, but still, a signature of games he does is the tendency for them to get out of hand. Let shat go like an obvious slash, and the likelihood that things escalate is that much more. He's lost control of a lot of games frankly. He attempted to throw his foot down in ejecting Weber and Wideman, but at that point, the seeds were scattered.

Same thing as Buffy. Buffys just looked worse because he was is much bigger.

It's one of those cases where being big puts you at a disadvantage.

Definitely a penalty and if the league is any consistent, there should be a suspension.

It should be reviewed. Will anything happen to Kris Russell, likely no because the league has some hatred towards the Canucks for showing up the Refs in 2011.

Bonino caused Russell to fall, but Russell still had to the choice on how he fell. He chose to not bother looking down and instead crosscheck Bonino into the back of his neck. While he wasn't injured, Bonino could very easily have been seriously injured.

I think he should be suspended 1 game, but he won't be because they will likely not bother to even review it.

Come on. That doesn't give justice to what happened with Russell, like it would if they showed the angle from 0:43-0:46 in OP's video. As tas said, Bones' right leg caught Russell's when he slid backwards, and (while there MAY have been intent in giving him a shot to the neck) it's much more likely to be accidental.

Byfuglien's motion, on the other hand, was pretty much the same as those cartoon characters when they use TNT (I haven't seen it from other angles so I don't know if there's more to it, can someone post a link to it?), in that it appears to be in a straight-down motion.

Both players were falling. I agree the Calgary player made sure he got a piece of Bonino, but it was nothing like a 265lb beast like Byfuglien actually lining the guy up and thrusting his stick down as a cross check into the guy's neck. I could maybe see a fine max.

Crosscheck to the neck. How is it different? Only difference is Bonino didn't stay down.

And... there's your answer. Yay, we don't have a team where diving is the norm! Maybe the refs will be shown this tape, and will say, "Ah. Well then, I guess we need to move on to a different team for our misgivings..."

lol

the angle from behind made it pretty clear that bonino's legs took out russell's. russell fell and reached out his arms to brace himself, a basic human reflex.

nowhere near as malicious or violent as byfuglien's and not worthy of discipline or being reviewed.

Agreed. Even in the regular season, this is a fine at most. No discipline is necessary.

And thanks for putting away your homer glasses unlike many here, it's a breath of fresh air.

The slash on Burrows' hand should have been called too. Ref was right there looking at it.

That was ugly. How there was no call on that escapes me. Oh but wait, it was Burrows, that explains it.

And Hammers penalty was ridiculous, self defence should not be penalised.

That game was an illustration imo of why this team is so much better with guys like Richie and Dorsett.

I loved the interviews with Ronalds when he said he would have jumped in for sure and Bo who looked like he felt cheated by not getting a chance to get stuck in too.

CBC not only discussed it, they reviewed from various angles. Made the point at it looked like

the angle from behind made it pretty clear that bonino's legs took out russell's. russell fell and reached out his arms to brace himself, a basic human reflex.

nowhere near as malicious or violent as byfuglien's and not worthy of discipline or being reviewed.

^ this

Also, CBC did discuss it, reviewed from various angles, and reached that same conclusion.

Nothing like Byfuglien.

Come on. That doesn't give justice to what happened with Russell, like it would if they showed the angle from 0:43-0:46 in OP's video. As tas said, Bones' right leg caught Russell's when he slid backwards, and (while there MAY have been intent in giving him a shot to the neck) it's much more likely to be accidental.

Byfuglien's motion, on the other hand, was pretty much the same as those cartoon characters when they use TNT (I haven't seen it from other angles so I don't know if there's more to it, can someone post a link to it?), in that it appears to be in a straight-down motion.

Look at his arms pumping down before he's even stumbled...

vn2OoV.gif

I hate the flames but the angle showing bonino sliding and taking Russell's feet out shows that he just fell and it wasn't the same as buff. Also, Russel never hit the neck directly like buff as he caught back first then rode up into the neck while buff made direct contact with the neck first. Russell was also looking at the puck at the time unlike buff.

Archived