The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kris Russell Crosscheck on Nick Bonino (same as Byfuglien)

kazin!

His right foot is still planted because bonino takes out his left leg first, which you can't see from the front angle, and he's in the process of falling and on the way down. You'll also notice his he hits him just above the name plate first unlike buff who hit the guy directly on the neck first. We'll never know his intent unless he admits it but to me it just looks like he's falling and bracing himself because he's not even looking at bonino and is looking directly ahead at the puck for the most part. Whereas buff was looking directly down at the player before he cross checked him.

Ok you do have a point with the name plate but overall still looks fairly dirty

It is clear Russell was taken off balance, however, it is just as much clear he took advantage of the situation and gave a good cross-check to Bonino as well. The back angle shows him being taken off balance, where as the front angle shows Russell looking down on Bonino and deliberately putting extra force on his fall.

It is similar to Bollig's action, where he just sat on Eddie Lack and took advantage of the fact he was pushed into (regardless who pushed him). You could say it's just playoff hockey, but Russell deciding to target the neck is what warrants a view from the league. I don't think he will be suspended though, especially if Engellgoof gets the suspension. No way the league takes 2 D out of the Flames line-up and handicaps them.

NOW... the one we should be really talking about is the slash by Ferland on Burrows. Don't get me wrong, I love how Ferland plays between whistles (that is just good playoff hockey from an energy player), but the slash was premeditated and uncalled for. This is 100% suspension worthy unless your name is Subban.

NOW... the one we should be really talking about is the slash by Ferland on Burrows. Don't get me wrong, I love how Ferland plays between whistles (that is just good playoff hockey from an energy player), but the slash was premeditated and uncalled for. This is 100% suspension worthy unless your name is Subban.

Agreed... completely unacceptable deliberate attempt to injure.

The kid Ferland is a complete POS... he has been up on charges for assault out of the rink and he does the same inside.

Guest Dasein

vn2OoV.gif

I hate the flames but the angle showing bonino sliding and taking Russell's feet out shows that he just fell and it wasn't the same as buff. Also, Russel never hit the neck directly like buff as he caught back first then rode up into the neck while buff made direct contact with the neck first. Russell was also looking at the puck at the time unlike buff.

Exactly

And I also wanted to add that Buff pulled his stick back up to his body (really winds up) and then he slammed down, whereas Russell doesn't bring his arms back to load up a full-on cross check, but rather falls with his stick and arms straight to make sure he catches a piece of Bonino on his way down

Agreed... completely unacceptable deliberate attempt to injure.

The kid Ferland is a complete POS... he has been up on charges for assault out of the rink and he does the same inside.

No one here was there on the night of the "incident". The way it sounds is like an average drunken Friday night on the prairies where most Canadian hockey players come from.

Having said that. I wish we had a guy to take ferlund down a few notches.

Really looks bad depending on how it's edited. If you look at the shot from front where you don't see Russel tripping over his legs, it looks intentional and vicious. But if you see from the side angle and the entire play, clearly Russel trips over his legs and the momentum carries him forward into Bonino's head as he reaches his arms out to brace his fall.

Did he take advantage of the opportunity that he's falling towards his head to give him a little extra 'umph' to the crosscheck? Probably. But this is nowhere near as bad as Byfuglien's. Should have been a penalty, but I'd rather take the goal anyway. Not suspension worthy.

Doesn't look intentional to me. Looks like he was just bracing himself. Not sure how else he could have placed his arms. It was all one motion after his legs got taken out. The whole time he wasn't even looking at Bones. No issue here and no suspension. I've been taking out like that on skates and you don't really have time to think of where to put your arms. You just try to brace yourself the best you can which is what Russell did.

Unbelievable! The NHL wants to turn this game into soccer. Guys have to roll around on the ice acting like they've been shot (a la Mark Stone) to get justice. How that's not a suspendable offence I don't know. Only thing I can think of is, NHL wants a long series and knows that wouldn't happen without Russel. Bollig should be suspended for his antics on Lack too, wasn't push into him just jumped on him and put him in a headlock and wrenched his neck, I've never seen anybody do that in my 30+ years of watching hockey, oh ya and no penalty on the play to Bollig. Unreal!

My take: Russell was going for a cross check but he definitely gets put off balance in the very least by Bonino sliding into his skates. That makes the end result - and likely the contact to the neck - worse than it would have been.

Byfuglien did way more to drive into his cross check and did it to a stationary player rather than one that slid into him. These hits are not the same level at all.

Archived