The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hartley fined 50,000 by NHL. Engeland suspension rescinded

Watermelon

It's true. Hartley often resorts to low tactics. He knows he has an earnest face and tries to make it work for him.

It was only a year ago that he did a similar thing in a Canucks game. He tried to provoke Tortorella and get him off his game by starting the 4th line. I'm sure he didn't give them any instructions but they know what to do. Unfortunately it worked. Torts bought it hook line and sinker. Hartley couldn't have hoped for a worse reaction. That kind of reinforcement makes him try it again.

It's true. Hartley often resorts to low tactics. He knows he has an earnest face and tries to make it work for him.

It was only a year ago that he did a similar thing in a Canucks game. He tried to provoke Tortorella and get him off his game by starting the 4th line. I'm sure he didn't give them any instructions but they know what to do. Unfortunately it worked. Torts bought it hook line and sinker. Hartley couldn't have hoped for a worse reaction. That kind of reinforcement makes him try it again.

I can bet you he gave them pretty specific instructions in the locker room

Putting Hartley on notice with the fine is a good gesture by the League although I doubt he will actually shell the money out for it with his own coin...odds are the Flames organization will foot the bill in one way or another.

I am fine with the Engelland suspension being rescinded because he is one of their weaker positional defenders and many of our matchups can take advantage of that.

Putting Hartley on notice with the fine is a good gesture by the League although I doubt he will actually shell the money out for it with his own coin...odds are the Flames organization will foot the bill in one way or another.

I am fine with the Engelland suspension being rescinded because he is one of their weaker positional defenders and many of our matchups can take advantage of that.

I don't really think Engelland deserved to be suspended anyway. From what I saw, it was Bollig and Ferland (as usual) who started the whole scrum by coming into the goalmouth area late, pushing guys around and generally trying to start a fight with anyone.

The other scraps all looked like mutual agreements by all involved, so no Instigator deserved, unless it was deemed that Ferland and Hamhuis had engaged in a fight, which I don't think they did.

Knowing Brian Burke, Hartley never pays a cent of that fine. As far as Engeland is concerned, That suspension wouldn't have been recinded if it were against Alex Busrrows!

Should've taken out Engelland or Ferland for a game to send a message.

I agree that the ownership will pay it. Slip him a brown envelope. So I wouldn't be surprised if Hartley does it again. If its not his money and they can injure one of our players, or even just create a situation where one of our players react and smack one of theirs around it could result in a suspension for us or even just to spike more fight in his team by claiming victim. it may just be enough for them to squeeze out another win next game after. So even if the owner now has to pay $100,000 under the table, its worth it for the extra million he makes for a game 6.

In hindsight, since it wouldn't have made any difference in us making the playoffs last year, I wish to gawd that Torts had gotten in to that locker room.

Archived