The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hartley fined 50,000 by NHL. Engeland suspension rescinded

Watermelon

Not too concerned about rescinding the suspension, although it has that NHL selectivity feel to it.

I doubt he'll be any more effective than Diaz would tbh - Engelland has been getting shredded the past couple games.

As for Hartley....repeat offender. Perhaps they need to get more creative with their deterrence. Essentially, they've liscenced him by rescinding the suspension. The Flames could give two turds about 50k.

Good, love that it falls on the mastermind (the mind part I use loosely) of the gong show.

Although, I'd honestly like an explanation on how/why they've rescinded? On what grounds?

Brian Burke speaks to son Patrick Burke of the NHL Department of Safety.

Brian - Hello Patrick, it's Dad, rescind the instigator. fine Hartley $50K, it should only be $10K so you guys can split the rest

Patrick - Okay Dad

They rescinded the instigator call on Engelland though... <_<

The good news is that Engelland was -16 for Calgary this year and it is not easy to have a plus/minus this bad on a successful team. And of course he was at fault on Daniel's goal last night as he fell down to turn a 3 on 3 to 3 on 2 which Henrik's pass converted to an open shot for Daniel. He is basically a poor defenceman who plays because of his toughness. .

Yes, Engelland is a thug and the Canucks will need to watch out for him. But if he actually tries to play hockey that helps the Canucks. And after last night's game he will be on a short leash with the referees. Also he probably isn't feeling too good after getting tagged in the nose by Dorsett.

50K is a large fine for a coach and big enough for Hartley to notice but its is still small compared to Hartely's salary, which I assume is in the neighbourhood of $2 million or close to it. Too bad he was not suspended.

Good on the league on both calls. Hartley's been down this road and deserves a fine. I'm all for fighting in hockey but sending out the goons after accepting defeat is bushleague.

I don't believe engelland deserved a suspension also. He wasn't exactly goin full Gino. Stupid technicality that was being enforced in the wrong situation IMO.

Archived