Canucks Community

It's Miller time

canuckster19

Guest Dasein

Anderson lost?

You didn't watch the game?

no need to answer that - it's rhetorical. I know you didn't watch the game

Anderson last night was better than Hammond in the first two games

Lack actually did make some game-breaking saves last night, go back and have a look if you want. The problem was not Lack by any means, the Canucks forwards and defence played soft and Calgary (mostly Ferland) took advantage.

The problem was everyone's last night, including Lack. I noticed what you are talking about but still, Lack needs to come up with more big saves when the team in front of him doesn't have it going. Right now he is playing good enough but not enough to be the difference. A goalie who gets hot, or doesn't, can make or break or series.

I've been in Miller's corner all year but I disagree with a change at this time. If Miller had gotten 3 or 4 starts before playoffs I would agree but he didn't. Time to move Vrbata back with the twins. Shame Kassian isn't healthy as I think a big-body might help right now.

Despite everyone saying it's not Eddie's fault, it is to me.

You need your goalie to come up big when the team isn't playing that great like last night.

He needs to make more saves and steal a game like that. Hiller stole Game 1 for the Flames. Lack needs to step his game up and steal the Canucks a victory...Or be relegated to the bench.

Did you actually watch the game last night or did you simply read this thread and take your que from it?How many break aways or crease shots does Lack have to stop before he is anointed?

Interesting read on an April 2012 article on nhl.com about goalie rotation in the playoffs...

"That doesn't mean the backup can't still play an important playoff role beyond opening the bench door, or charting faceoffs from his front-row seat. With the quantity of quality No.2 goalies higher than ever before, there may be, as Hitchcock hinted, more willingness now to make a mid-series switch.

It worked for three-straight Stanley Cup winners from 2006 to 2008.

Carolina rookie Cam Ward took over for Martin Gerber en route to the 2006 Cup -- and Gerber even got another start in the Eastern Conference Final. Ilya Bryzgalov posted the first three wins of Anaheim's run in 2007 before giving way to Jean-Sebastien Giguere, who had been dealing with a health scare involving his newborn son. Chris Osgood supplanted a struggling Dominik Hasek during the first round before leading Detroit to the 2008 Stanley Cup. And Philadelphia used two goalies to get to the Cup Final in 2010 before losing to Chicago.

It doesn't always have to be about injury or indifferent play either."

and this from Schneider:

The problem, Schneider said, is picking a proper time to make a switch.

"I do see the benefit, it's just tough to time. When do you decide?" said Schneider, who has insisted all along Loungo should start the playoffs.

Do it when you're up in a series and you risk providing the dreaded bulletin board material. Wait too long when you're down in a series and it might be too late.

Maybe the solution is to keep using both throughout?

"The interesting case would be St. Louis," Schneider said. "But the stakes are so high that every move you make would be so criticized if it doesn't work."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=627077

The Bold is the biggie for me - make a switch - if it doesn't work - you're highly criticized.

So, unless Lack (knock on wood that doesn't happen) is injured, I can't see Miller getting a start.

No!

I was fully behind Miller starting the playoffs if he was 100% but he said (as quoted on the Canucks twitter account) the day before they started that his movement still wasn't 100%. He might be by now but we can't know. Even if he is, though, now we need to keep running with Lack at least through the end of this series.

Lack has played well and given his team a chance to win every game he's played. Changing the goalie won't change anything at this point. Our guys just need to focus and play their game instead of watching Calgary play theirs.

Did you actually watch the game last night or did you simply read this thread and take your que from it?How many break aways or crease shots does Lack have to stop before he is anointed?

Anointed What?

Yes I watched the game and I find Lack's game to be OK. But it's the playoffs and OK doesn't cut the mustard in my books. Lack got the starts in the playoffs and he deserved it by his play down the stretch and some mystery around Miller's health. Well clearly Miller is ready to play as you can't afford to dress a backup who is injured.

Now three games later, Lack hasn't been a difference maker. Is he the reason the team lost? Nope but who cares. This isn't about deserving it anymore. Miller needs to start to be the change of pace. Something different cuz clearly the forward lines and their usage are set in stone. I am not saying Miller WILL be the difference maker, but he does have 50 plus games of playoff experience under his belt and I am willing to give him a shot regardless of Lack's mediocre play not being the only problem with this team right now.

No!

I was fully behind Miller starting the playoffs if he was 100% but he said (as quoted on the Canucks twitter account) the day before they started that his movement still wasn't 100%. He might be by now but we can't know. Even if he is, though, now we need to keep running with Lack at least through the end of this series.

Lack has played well and given his team a chance to win every game he's played. Changing the goalie won't change anything at this point. Our guys just need to focus and play their game instead of watching Calgary play theirs.

The most cliched phrase in hockey.

Archived