The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burrows Suspended for Game 4 Pending NHL Review (Vancouver, Calgary, and NHL Media Reaction Included)

Canucks

Come on, Jack...everything's fair in love and war. He was running on emotion there and it wasn't like he hand picked them like that/based on that criteria. The puck was right there (at the hit) and it wasn't like they hadn't been doing that all game (playing physically/hitting OUR guys). So he should give him a pass? Because he's a lightweight? I disagree. No immunity.

And Russell engaged Burr long before that, in the second. So finish what you start? Burr didn't target him because he was small...it was an ongoing thing between the two.

Their size is their issue, not ours.

Yikes Deb. Opening up a huge can of worms here. Someone runs a Sedin or a Vrbata and you feel the same. Risking serious injury on stars (or emerging stars) is long frowned on by the league and even most players. Burrows has no honour as he has proven many many times over the years so it is not unexpected of him. But I didn't think you held the belief that this would be okay.

I still love the moment when Bieksa saw who he had in his hands and just went crazy on Ferland.

Bieksa: "Oh, lookie here. Number 79! I wonder who this is!"

WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM!!!

Juice's expression when he saw the 79 was priceless

That face is a thing of beauty. That's when we know it's getting real.

Yikes Deb. Opening up a huge can of worms here. Someone runs a Sedin or a Vrbata and you feel the same. Risking serious injury on stars (or emerging stars) is long frowned on by the league and even most players. Burrows has no honour as he has proven many many times over the years so it is not unexpected of him. But I didn't think you held the belief that this would be okay.

Burrows has no honour? You lost me there and I won't respond to this garbage.

They did run our players...all night. So tit for tat applies?

Are you suggesting that Ferland has not been running our stars all series long? If Hartley wants his golden boy kept safe, he shouldn't be sending his goons out to inflict damage.

I still love the moment when Bieksa saw who he had in his hands and just went crazy on Ferland.

it was awesome!!!!

A bit OT, but part of the problem here is that hitting a guy like Gaudreau is advertised to make us all feel guilty in a way, but when Raymond gets his spine busted in Boston, well, he was a lightweight diver who should've known better. It's about perception. imho We need a far more solid perception than what we've been force-fed here. I sincerely hope that is part of the change to come.

When was the last time Burrows injured somebody?

Are you suggesting that Ferland has not been running our stars all series long? If Hartley wants his golden boy kept safe, he shouldn't be sending his goons out to inflict damage.

I'm on the fence about you saying Burrows has no honour. Sure, he's a bit dirty at times, but he's honestly one of the few who's willing to stand up for our team.

Until Kassian comes back...IF we survive long enough..that is.

I'm on the fence about you saying Burrows has no honour. Sure, he's a bit dirty at times, but he's honestly one of the few who's willing to stand up for our team.

Until Kassian comes back...IF we survive long enough..that is.

You should get off the fence. I said no such thing.

It was nice to see Bieksa spank him like he was his dad. It will be a sad day when Juice leaves.

Ferland did take a run at a few Canuck players in what could have been called charging. The Sbisa hit was far worse than Burrows on Johnny Boy and it didn't get called. People can hate on Bieksa all they like but Ferland stuck his nose in the wrong Hornet's nest and Kev made him pay.

You've got it backwards Jack. You were the one who said "What if it had been Engelland" I see your strawman and raise you a hayloft.

You know what? Fair point....absolutely.

But I don't think it's any coincidence that he went after the Flames' lightweights.

You know what? Fair point....absolutely.

But I don't think it's any coincidence that he went after the Flames' lightweights.

Meh. I'm with Deb. I think those were guys that were in front of him at the time.

We'll probably never know for sure.

A bit OT, but part of the problem here is that hitting a guy like Gaudreau is advertised to make us all feel guilty in a way, but when Raymond gets his spine busted in Boston, well, he was a lightweight diver who should've known better. It's about perception. imho We need a far more solid perception than what we've been force-fed here. I sincerely hope that is part of the change to come.

Ain't that the truth?!

Why is it that people targeting the Sedins is somehow just proof that they're weak, need to toughen up and learn to stick up for themselves but if we so much as hit one of their skill players we're just mean bullies picking on a poor little guy who could get hurt because he's so small and vulnerable. It's complete BS.

This is hockey. Everyone is eligible for legal hitting and no one gets a free pass. If Gaudreau can't handle playing with the big boys I'm sure the minors would be happy to have him back. Oh wait, there's hitting there too. Maybe a Timbits team then?

Nice spin. The Canucks are getting done and Burrows runs the Flames smallest player from and behind and then drops 'em with their smallest defenceman. Quite a statement of manhood that was.

Do you even know why Burrows hit Gaudreau? It was to agitate Calgary. So if Engelland did come over, why would he fight him and risk losing the fight, which would fail in his purpose to agitate Calgary?

Ferland is at least 20 pounds heavier than Sbisa, but he didn't bother to stop on hitting Sbisa from the back. Why are they allowed to hit our smaller players from the back but we aren't? Is there a rule that says you can only hit a player of same size and weight?

Somehow their smallest players are off limits? The playoffs are all about giving and receiving cheap shots. Sedins have taken plenty of cheap shots in the past and present and so will their star players like Gaudreau and Monahan as well as your future star Bennett.

We beat your Flames in game 2 easily and Flames sent out enforcers to send a message at the end of the game. Your Flames dominated game 3 so we do the same and try to send a message. Whether it's on a smaller player or not doesn't matter. Bollig headlock on Lack and face wash on Hamhuis or Engelland going after smaller Dorsett? Those wasn't any less cheap.

Or was Bollig suppose to not go after anyone and wait until Kassian is ready to play and go fight him? Because what he did wasn't really manly either.

Ferland did take a run at a few Canuck players in what could have been called charging. The Sbisa hit was far worse than Burrows on Johnny Boy and it didn't get called. People can hate on Bieksa all they like but Ferland stuck his nose in the wrong Hornet's nest and Kev made him pay.

The way Ferland was laughing after the game during his interview, I don't think he paid anything. He's going to be front-and-centre again Tuesday. And who in white is going to do anything about it? Let's watch.

Archived