The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Will not suspend Burrows

babych

Wait ... there is no NHL conspiracies gainst Canucks ? :shock:

Never thought, this day would come but it has.

Last night, when the score was 2-1, we had a bunch of power-plays and a bunch of 4 on 4 time. But after the canucks couldn't cash in with all of that, the calls returned to normal.

So at least for last game, we had the refs on our side. (Yes, I went there)

;)

Canucks Head Coach Willie Desjardins speaks with the media Monday following an optional team practice at the Saddledome in Calgary.

Desjardins talks about the news that Alex Burrows would not be suspended for receiving an instigator in Game 3 in a late third period fight with Flames defenceman Kris Russell.

Canucks Head Coach Willie Desjardins speaks with the media Monday following an optional team practice at the Saddledome in Calgary.

Desjardins talks about the news that Alex Burrows would not be suspended for receiving an instigator in Game 3 in a late third period fight with Flames defenceman Kris Russell.

I didn't watch the video but I'm guessing it was a real good call by the NHL?

Burrows started the fight, because he knew the puck was headed to an empty net. He sees a guy ready to go after him for his hit (which I'm not quite sure why there was a penalty on it) and does not hesitate. Whistle blows, play is dead, no goal. He assumes, based on the hit and Russel's response 5 for fighting for each of them, time served, hopefully see you in overtime.

Hamhuis wasn't targeting the head, but he did make contact, so good call on a penalty, but again, not a suspension. There was no obvious intent to injure

Beiksa, on the other hand, probably should have gotten an instigator and suspension for attacking Ferland. Even if that rat Ferland deserved it.

Wasn't the hit Ferland did on Sbisa similar to the one of Burrows?

No. That one involved far more force, caused a minor injury (cut to the face), and didn't even get called as a penalty. Oh, and it was used as poster by the Flames people. The hit by Burrows wasn't even that hard, didn't involve any kind of injury, and was only made as bad as it was largely due the fact that Gaudreau turned his back immediately before the hit. It, however, was called a penalty. AND, thankfully, we weren't classless enough to use the photo of it as an inspirational "hang in there" kitty poster.

well he may not be suspended for tonight, but it's unlikely he'll play anyway, thanks to his injury.

Do you have a source for that? Didn't see anything at the Canucks Twitter feed. In fact, I just checked and found this:

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks · 17m 17 minutes ago

Desjardins said despite some players not practicing yesterday or skating this morning, everyone should be ready for Game 4. #Canucks

Never thought, this day would come but it has.

Last night, when the score was 2-1, we had a bunch of power-plays and a bunch of 4 on 4 time. But after the canucks couldn't cash in with all of that, the calls returned to normal.

So at least for last game, we had the refs on our side. (Yes, I went there)

;)

I agree with this move.

I think the Canucks have broken out of the whole bad luck/bad calls thing.

Maybe it was the Torts Baptism of Fire (or firing Torts).

Maybe it was hiring TL and then JB and WD.

Maybe our own Viking Mama finally broke through and they abandoned all hope.

I am going with this new idea.

We should complement the refs, praise the DOPS and the BOG, and cheer the team on without any of that old baggage.

The Canucks are not cursed; the league, the refs, the media, everybody loves the Canucks.

The Canucks are a good team of well-respected players who are on their way to winnning The Stanley Cup!

(This is good; I like this.)

GO CANUCKS GO !!

Archived