The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Happy Birthday Nick Bonino!

-Vintage Canuck-

Wow still very young, has a lot of hockey in him!

Happy Birthday Nick!

HBD Nick.

Thrilled to have you in Vancouver..

Most undervalued Canuck this season.

Best of luck.

Ok. Sorry I can't be nice now. . He's one of the worst second line centres in the league. He and higgins have had two goals between them ( one or the other assisting ) since Christmas. CHRISTMAS FOR $&@& SAKE ! the guy is useless on the second line. Absolutely horrible. The second line is NOT supposed to be a checking only line( And even that he can't get right)That's what a third line is for. I hear his name and I could punch a puppy. I can't wait till the skid his ( fill in the blank ) out of here.

Most undervalued ??? Are u friggin kidding me

Happy birthday.

I won't repost stuff that I and other people have posted before, but I feel compelled to write a few comments.

1. Bonino is not "very young" for an NHL player. The median age for NHL forwards is actually 26. (I just checked. The average is a bit higher.) And most forwards hit their peak about age 26 or 27. Some peak a bit later, but this is the average. There is no reason why Bonino can't hold this peak for 5 years or so, but the basic point is that "what you see is what you get". We cannot reasonably expect significant improvement.

2. Bonino's level of production (0.52 PPG + very good on the PK + a plus/minus of +6 playing against average strength of competition) is great value for a cap hit of 1.9 million. People tend to forget that winning in today's cap constrained NHL means getting high value PER DOLLAR. Look at what Benning just paid for Sbisa for example -- almost twice as much (.3.6 million) as what Bonino is getting.

3. A legitimate 2C really needs a PPG north of 0.5. Bonino just barely makes that hurdle. He is a legitimate 2C but is a bit below average for the 2C position (about the 60th or 70th percentile). But like I said in point 2, this is excellent for a cap hit of 1.9 million -- about what a lot of 4th liners get.

4. Any team would be delighted to have Bonino at the 3C position. The problem the Canucks have is that they do not really have a high quality 2C of the kind you want for a deep Cup run.

5. Next year I guess Bonino plays 2C again, where he is okay but not great. But if Horvat continues to improve maybe he can play 2C (which many people think is his ceiling, so getting there at age 20 would be a surprise). Bonino with, say, Higgins and Hansen as a 3rd line would be very good. All three guys are good on the PK, they could play shutdown, and they would provide significant secondary scoring. And if a second line of Baertschi, Horvat, and Vrbata could find some chemistry, that would be great. Dorsett and Kenins are really 4th line wingers, nor more, but having them on the 4th line would be good. That leaves one open spot, for 4C. My vote is Cassels. Kassian is a big question mark. If he has back surgery he will not be starting the season. And Vey will be 13th man. (Of course all this could change due to trades.)

Points > Goals

mika zibanejad 46 points

Tomas Plekanec 46 points

Tyler Jonson 72 points

Derek Stepan 55 points

Points > Goals

mika zibanejad 46 points

Tomas Plekanec 46 points

Tyler Jonson 72 points

Derek Stepan 55 points

Frans Nielsen 43 points

Ryan Kesler 49 points

Evgeni malkin 70 points

Henrik Zetterberg 66 points

David Backes 58 points

Jeff carter 62 points

Happy birthday boneshow!

Can't believe so called canucks fans come into this thread and bash him. Puke.

The boneshow is one of the best values on any second line. Money ball, one of the leagues best pkers, snipe show...

He's one of the worst second line centres in the league. He and higgins have had two goals between them ( one or the other assisting ) since Christmas. CHRISTMAS FOR $&@& SAKE ! the guy is useless on the second line. Absolutely horrible. The second line is NOT supposed to be a checking only line( And even that he can't get right)That's what a third line is for. I hear his name and I could punch a puppy. I can't wait till the skid his ( fill in the blank ) out of here.

call it the 3rd line

feel better

I won't repost stuff that I and other people have posted before, but I feel compelled to write a few comments.

1. Bonino is not "very young" for an NHL player. The median age for NHL forwards is actually 26. (I just checked. The average is a bit higher.) And most forwards hit their peak about age 26 or 27. Some peak a bit later, but this is the average. There is no reason why Bonino can't hold this peak for 5 years or so, but the basic point is that "what you see is what you get". We cannot reasonably expect significant improvement.

2. Bonino's level of production (0.52 PPG + very good on the PK + a plus/minus of +6 playing against average strength of competition) is great value for a cap hit of 1.9 million. People tend to forget that winning in today's cap constrained NHL means getting high value PER DOLLAR. Look at what Benning just paid for Sbisa for example -- almost twice as much (.3.6 million) as what Bonino is getting.

3. A legitimate 2C really needs a PPG north of 0.5. Bonino just barely makes that hurdle. He is a legitimate 2C but is a bit below average for the 2C position (about the 60th or 70th percentile). But like I said in point 2, this is excellent for a cap hit of 1.9 million -- about what a lot of 4th liners get.

4. Any team would be delighted to have Bonino at the 3C position. The problem the Canucks have is that they do not really have a high quality 2C of the kind you want for a deep Cup run.

5. Next year I guess Bonino plays 2C again, where he is okay but not great. But if Horvat continues to improve maybe he can play 2C (which many people think is his ceiling, so getting there at age 20 would be a surprise). Bonino with, say, Higgins and Hansen as a 3rd line would be very good. All three guys are good on the PK, they could play shutdown, and they would provide significant secondary scoring. And if a second line of Baertschi, Horvat, and Vrbata could find some chemistry, that would be great. Dorsett and Kenins are really 4th line wingers, nor more, but having them on the 4th line would be good. That leaves one open spot, for 4C. My vote is Cassels. Kassian is a big question mark. If he has back surgery he will not be starting the season. And Vey will be 13th man. (Of course all this could change due to trades.)

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=13&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=63&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Archived